Contribute
Register

Update Directly to macOS High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did a direct update from El Capitan 10.11.6 to High Sierra 10.13.2 as described in the first post of the thread by tonymacx86.
I have an Asus Z170 Pro Gaming motherboard with 4.01 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 RAM, and an EVGA GTX 980 Ti 6 GB graphics card. I use an iMac17,1 system definition.

Smooth update via App Store.

– After booting, updated NVIDIA driver via System Preferences.
– No audio device: solved using CloverALC as described by Toleda.
– USB 3.0 not working. Guide for custom SSDT for USBInjectAll.kext or for the lazy like me a new USB Raise Port Limit Patch for High Sierra for Clover's KextstoPatch.
– iMessage working using my previous serial number.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have a nice running macOS Sierra with Clover 4359 (Asus P55P7D, i7-860, 4GB, HD7870).
Now I tried to update to High Sierra from App Store.
In EFI partition I copied FakeSMC.kext to kexts/Other (and 10.13).
When I try to boot the installer, I end up with this stop sign.
What am I missing?

Success!

Upgraded from 10.12.5 to 10.13.2 without converting anything to APFS. I upgraded Clover to v4173 using MultiBeast and then followed these instructions. Kexts in CLOVER/kexts/Other were AppleIntelE1000e, AtherosE2200Ethernet, and FakeSMC.

Thank you.

I don't think the instructions said to put anything in CLOVER/kexts/10.13. I don't even have such a directory. But I also don't know if this explains your problem.
All newer Clover versions have this directory. It doesn't help, if I put it only in CLOVER/kexts/Other.
I also created a USB stick with MultiBeast (High Sierra Edition) but I still can't boot into the installer.

Succeeded with Asus H110T with Samsung NVMe M.2 module and i3-7100. 1st I stumbled on the missing -disablegfxfirmware bootflag, didn't use MultiBeast, install worked perfectly but could only boot in SafeMode. Then I opened MultiBeast and my eye fell on this boot option when the HD630 driver should be activated. Adding the mentioned bootparameter and everything went very very smooth. A big thank you to the developers.

Smooth upgrade!

Since many people had issues (with Nvidia in particular) I've hold back on upgrading from Sierra (10.12.6) to High Sierra. I even got fed up with all of it and been looking for an RX580 Pulse but today I took the plunge and to my surprise it went issue free.

Steps taken:

- Added latest apfs.efi and FakeSMC.kext
- Did not change anything else, so no changes to SIP nor did I add Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext
- Installed High Sierra via app store
- I did not had to select the proper drive for install in between reboots
- Once inside High Sierra I just had to install the new Nvidia driver and reboot
- Done!

No black screen or loop issues. Maybe because I'm using a mobo that supports NVRAM and use SMbios 14,2? or because I skipped 10.13.0/10.13.1?

Mobo audio is gone obviously but that's just a matter of running the ALC script and I'm using Firewire audio anyway.
TRIM still intact.
One small issue so far is that Finder keeps showing my Windows drive in the sidebar even after removing it.
High Sierra.png

Last edited:
Using GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD3H, I did the in place upgrade. Upon system start, I had to remove my NVIDIA card, booted on Intel graphics, installed web driver, reinstalled NVIDIA and it booted fine. There are artifacts on the screen at login, but they disappear when logged in. I had no sound. I re-ran MultiBeast ALC1150 driver with no luck. I installed CloverALC (https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC), restarted and sound is fine.
Hi!I have the similar computer,GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD3H, Intel Core i5-4690K,but i failed in the install part.Can I get your clover and setting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back