Contribute
Register

Update Directly to macOS High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
After updating I have frozen lockscreen with inactive mouse and keyboard. How to fix it?
i5-6500, 1050 ti, latest clover onboard.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 102
After updating I have frozen lockscreen with inactive mouse and keyboard. How to fix it?
i5-6500, 1050 ti, latest clover onboard.

Did you plug your mouse keyboard into a usb 2.0 or 3.0 slot?
Sometimes you have to do additional multibeast tweaks for USB 3.0

Did you plug your mouse keyboard into a usb 2.0 or 3.0 slot?
Sometimes you have to do additional multibeast tweaks for USB 3.0
Either usb 2.0 or usb 3.0 don’t work
How to add multibeast tweaks?

1. Yes.

2. Since you're going to run MulitBeast v10.2.0 after your upgrade to High Sierra has completed, you probably just need to copy FakeSMC to the EFI/Clover/kext/Other. Once you've run MultiBeast and before you reboot. You can remove the FakeSMC in the .../Other folder as MultiBeast installs a newer version in /Library/Extensions/ folder.

After a bit of fiddling around (associated with making the ASRock motherboard boot using the updated version of Clover) I managed to get the update to start (machine booted from Mac_intstall) partition.

The machine then rebooted, again from the "install" partition and has now been churning away for the last 15 mins. However the progress bar on the screen has not moved very far to the right. When I updated my MBP I had messages informing me of the progress of the update.

How long should the update take to complete and is the fact that the progress bar seems to have stuck indicative that something has gone wrong with the update even though the HDD continues to make noises? If the update is indeed hung what is the path forward? Can I try again using the -v option on clover? Do I need to restore from my TM backup?

Thanks for any input or help you can provide.

After a bit of fiddling around (associated with making the ASRock motherboard boot using the updated version of Clover) I managed to get the update to start (machine booted from Mac_intstall) partition.

The machine then rebooted, again from the "install" partition and has now been churning away for the last 15 mins. However the progress bar on the screen has not moved very far to the right. When I updated my MBP I had messages informing me of the progress of the update.

How long should the update take to complete and is the fact that the progress bar seems to have stuck indicative that something has gone wrong with the update even though the HDD continues to make noises? If the update is indeed hung what is the path forward? Can I try again using the -v option on clover? Do I need to restore from my TM backup?

Thanks for any input or help you can provide.

The machine that I am updating uses the Mac 17,2 identifier (iMac?) however it has a spinning hard drive rather than an SSD. I was under the impression that High Sierra would not convert the file system on a spinning drive to AFPS. However I'm wondering the long duration of the update is due to the fact that it is trying to convert the file system since it expects that there is a SSD installed on a 17,2 machine.

If this is the case what is the best means through which to recover the install / machine.

Thanks.

I followed the steps for an HFS install in this guide exactly. When I did the Boot macOS install step, it got to the Apple icon and the progress bar moved about 10mm and it restarted. I tried doing a verbose boot, but it reboots so fast that I can't see the detail. Any suggestions about the most likely cause?
Ok, I tried a slightly different approach using EFI from someone else but I have never been able to complete an update install on my 10.12.6.

I did manage a clean install to another disk (only took about 25 mins to install) which seemed quite OK but I couldn’t get an Admin user setting to stick (it would only show as Standard) and an added Amin user was hidden. Couldn’t open my user account or have it accept approval of Nvidia driver installs with my password. A lot of native Apple owners are having the same user account problems with 10.3.3.

So I’m writing 10.3.3 off as not worth all the trouble. I’ll stick with 10.12.6 for now.

Ok, I tried a slightly different approach using EFI from someone else but I have never been able to complete an update install on my 10.12.6.

I did manage a clean install to another disk (only took about 25 mins to install) which seemed quite OK but I couldn’t get an Admin user setting to stick (it would only show as Standard) and an added Amin user was hidden. Couldn’t open my user account or have it accept approval of Nvidia driver installs with my password. A lot of native Apple owners are having the same user account problems with 10.3.3.

So I’m writing 10.3.3 off as not worth all the trouble. I’ll stick with 10.12.6 for now.
Ok, happy to make a big backdown!! I found this post in an Apple forum, and it worked perfectly.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8238869
Of course, getting the Single user boot for us is done in the Clover boot options.

Anyway, that allowed me to redo the macOS setup of Country, KB, ..., user account, and I created a new Admin account. When it was finished, I could log into Users & Groups with the new account, edit my operating user to administer the system, and all was well.

Have installed the Nvidia 156 web driver package. The system seems fine so far. Will test it further.

Hello everyone. I have a problem selecting Boot macOS Install. It stays as seen in the image and does not go forward. This happens to me also when I select the recovery. Do you know why it can be?. MacOS Sierra works correctly.

Attachments

• photo_2018-02-02_10-57-33.jpg
    photo_2018-02-02_10-57-33.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 195
Hello everyone. I have a problem selecting Boot macOS Install. It stays as seen in the image and does not go forward. This happens to me also when I select the recovery. Do you know why it can be?. MacOS Sierra works correctly.
as per rules, please update your hardware profile

also this isn't a help thread, please post in the relevant forum

Help please!

High Sierra won't install on my machine (direct update from Sierra (SSD version)).

The problem:
The installation is stuck on the black boot screen with the white apple logo. However, I DON'T get a progress bar. So the installation is just stuck on that screen.

What should I do?

I tried to do a direct update as per instructions below:

1. Update your existing Clover install to v4173+ using MultiBeast or official Clover package.

2. Open Clover configuration folder on the root of your system drive or EFI Partition using EFI Mounter v3. Copy FakeSMC.kext and any other extra necessary kexts to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/. If you need essential kexts, download them here.

3. Copy apfs.efi to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/.

4. Download Install macOS High Sierra Application from the Mac App Store. When complete, the app will open. Please note, the Application will disappear after use.

5. Choose system drive for install (Example: Macintosh HD). When complete, the computer will automatically reboot.

6. At Clover boot screen, choose Boot macOS Install option (Example: Boot macOS Install from Macintosh HD). Choosing your system drive will go back to your previous installation without updating.

7. Complete the installation process- the computer will automatically reboot a few times.

8. At Clover boot screen, choose Boot macOS option (Example: Boot macOS from Macintosh HD). The computer will then complete the update.

To clarify, it's stuck at step 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back