Contribute
Register

Unable to get on-board ALC1220 to work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not correct, 10.8 through 10.13 are fully supported.

Bad choice. 10.11 has no idea what is in the Kaby Lake chip set. Only 10.13 supports the Kaby Lake chip set. On board audio will not work in any version of 10.11. An AppleHDA patch is required for Kaby Lake audio on 10.12.4, .5 and .6.

A bigger system issue is no CPU/GPU power management if the OS has no clue on what hardware it is running.

Unfortunately it's not exactly a choice but I am stuck with 10.11...I had no way of downloading Sierra as my old Mac didn't support it and now I built this Sierra is gone from Apple Store...Do you think I have more chances experimenting with High Sierra instead?

Only required for Kaby Lake audio is Sierra., unnecessary in Hugh Sierra.

Audio ID: 1 - 5 or 6 motherboard audio ports
Audio ID: 2 - 3 motherboard audio ports (2 inputs repurposed to outputs)

Both Moog84 Kaby Lake Hero and your Kaby Lake Gaming K3 have 5 audio ports, use Audio ID: 1

Thanks for the heads-up @toleda . Will have to bear that in mind when I finally move up to HS - still on Sierra here.

Thanks too for the Audio ID info. I'll have to go back and recheck now. I seem to remember getting to ID=2 by trial and error when I initially built.

(Am I right in thinking OP @moog84 could still use the latest MultiBeast with it's ALC1220 support, for install into El Cap? No reason not to?)

:)

Last edited:
@UtterDisbelief I was wondering about that since I am trying to install an older OS but on newer hardware for which drivers don't seem to work or even be available in the El Cap version.

In the meantime I have found a friend who did download the Sierra installation before it was taken down so I might just start from scratch. My understanding is if I bring Sierra up to the latest update a lot of things are natively supported. Nothing to lose at this point anyway.

Am I right in thinking OP @moog84 could still use the latest MultiBeast with it's ALC1220 support, for install into El Cap?
MultiBeast/El Capitan does not support ALC1220
MultiBeast/Sierra supports ALC1220 but not Kaby Lake
The problem with Kaby Lake is not the codec, the problem is the audio controller is not supported; no audio controller, no codec.
High Sierra supports Kaby Lake, only choice.

@UtterDisbelief I was wondering about that since I am trying to install an older OS but on newer hardware for which drivers don't seem to work or even be available in the El Cap version.

In the meantime I have found a friend who did download the Sierra installation before it was taken down so I might just start from scratch. My understanding is if I bring Sierra up to the latest update a lot of things are natively supported. Nothing to lose at this point anyway.

Hi. Yes, 10.12.6 was interim updated for kaby lake when the new iMacs came out shortly before High Sierra was released. My rig works well.

Check all the HD630 info too. I used it while changing from Nvidia to AMD gpus. It's a little fussy to get perfect but does work well.

MultiBeast/El Capitan does not support ALC1220
MultiBeast/Sierra supports ALC1220 but not Kaby Lake
The problem with Kaby Lake is not the codec, the problem is the audio controller is not supported; no audio controller, no codec.
High Sierra supports Kaby Lake, only choice.

Okay, thanks :thumbup:

So here is an update. I found a friend who had Sierra on his laptop so I copied the installer over and created a boot disk. All the way to 10.12.6 now and it does seem a lot more stuff are supported natively. Ironically the last thing to sort out is the audio :)

But a much smoother process with Sierra and seems more stable, than the nightmare that was El Capitan.

Thank you both for your help!

True for the 10.12.6 Beta, removed for 10.12.6 Release. Kaby Lake Macs got special 10.12.6 builds.

Hi @toleda , yep, I was confused - it was actually a 10.12.5 special update for the new 2017 iMacs I was thinking of:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1921

Hadn't realised that code didn't make it into the general 10.12.6 release. Assumed the update must have had both new AMD GPU support and Kaby Lake CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back