Contribute
Register

Unable to boot UEFI? GA-Z77X-UP5 TH MOBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
motherboard OR system make & model # > See Rules!
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ok, so I've installed Yosemite on my 1TB HDD as directed in this guide by Tonymacx86. I booted up Yosemite via the install USB and installed Clover as required for UEFI booting. Config file is all set as needed. My problem is I'm not given the option to boot my drive as UEFI. I can only boot Legacy (i.e. P0:ST1...). Why? I had realized after my first install attempt that I had accidentally plugged the drive into a SATA2 port and not my SATA3. I corrected that and redid the install process again for good measure, but I still can't boot UEFI. :banghead: Any ideas?

I will also say, as a side note, the guide said that there would be two reboots during install, the second setting up the Recovery drive, but I only had one reboot. When I selected the "Install OS X Yosemite" boot option in clover the second time it just booted back into the install disk. I just manually restarted then booted into Yosemite and all seemed fine, including the Recovery drive. Maybe that was just a oddity with my system...

Sounds like a BIOS setup problem to me. Make sure you've enabled "Legacy and UEFI" booting somewhere in the BIOS options; you should then be able to select the UEFI option for your drive.

Sounds like a BIOS setup problem to me. Make sure you've enabled "Legacy and UEFI" booting somewhere in the BIOS options; you should then be able to select the UEFI option for your drive.

Well, if there is a setting to enable UEFI boot in my BIOS I've not been able to find it at all, and I've been searching the options, my manual, and online for a couple days now...

If anyone knows this boards BIOS type please let me know what I'm missing...

I should also say that when I have the install USB plugged in the BIOS offers a UEFI boot option for the drive, though trying to boot from that option simply causes the screen to flash black and then back into the BIOS setting screen I was already on...

So it's offering UEFI for the thumb drive, but nothing else.

Well, on page 54 of the manual from Gigabyte (here) it definitely says UEFI booting is an option. SATA 2 or SATA 3 won't matter, as you've discovered. Try playing around in the HD BBS Priorities section in the BIOS to see if you can see your HD UEFI boot option.

After trying tons of different things from resizing the EFI partition to fiddling with Windows to see if it was messing with my uefi settings I've finally figured it out. At some point my Bios version reverted to rev. 4, which didn't give a uefi enable/disable setting. I flashed to rev. 12 and I was finally able to boot uefi. Now I just have to tweak some things to be 100%!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back