Motherboard
GA-Z170X-UD5
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 970
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
  1. Used SuperDuper to clone internal, APFS-formatted SSD containing fresh, working High Sierra 10.13.1 install onto freshly formatted HFS+J external USB HDD (linked via working USB 2 port)
  2. Used most recent version of Clover to install Clover onto same external USB
  3. Replaced USB EFI folder with internal SSD EFI folder
  4. Rebooted, verbose
  5. Last line before panic stated "considerRebuildOfPrelinkedKernel com.apple.kext.triggers triggered rebuild"
  6. Screen full of "gobbledygook" (at least nothing I recognize from a typical verbose boot log) appears for a second
  7. Machine reboots, clover appears, boots from default (internal SSD) volume, desktop appears as expected
So, clearly I've done something wrong in preparing my external USB backup. I've also tried the same process formatting the external USB as APFS. Same result.

Unclear which EFI folder I should attach (internal or external), or if attaching an EFI folder is necessary for reporting files for this type of problem.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

1. Used SuperDuper to clone internal, APFS-formatted SSD containing fresh, working High Sierra 10.13.1 install onto freshly formatted HFS+J external USB HDD (linked via working USB 2 port)
  2. Used most recent version of Clover to install Clover onto same external USB
  3. Replaced USB EFI folder with internal SSD EFI folder
  4. Rebooted, verbose
  5. Last line before panic stated "considerRebuildOfPrelinkedKernel com.apple.kext.triggers triggered rebuild"
  6. Screen full of "gobbledygook" (at least nothing I recognize from a typical verbose boot log) appears for a second
  7. Machine reboots, clover appears, boots from default (internal SSD) volume, desktop appears as expected
So, clearly I've done something wrong in preparing my external USB backup. I've also tried the same process formatting the external USB as APFS. Same result.

Unclear which EFI folder I should attach (internal or external), or if attaching an EFI folder is necessary for reporting files for this type of problem.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Thank you. Understood. I'm assuming the problem lies in EFI/Clover on the drive from which I'm trying to boot, so I've attached:
  • EFI/Clover from the external USB
  • Screenshot showing the last line before panic
I also have a video of the entire verbose boot, but I'm assuming you don't want/need a large video file attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 8.43.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 8.43.46 AM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 236
  • CLOVER.zip
    9.4 MB · Views: 97
Thank you. Understood. I'm assuming the problem lies in EFI/Clover on the drive from which I'm trying to boot, so I've attached:
  • EFI/Clover from the external USB
  • Screenshot showing the last line before panic
I also have a video of the entire verbose boot, but I'm assuming you don't want/need a large video file attached.

Your profile lacks details on your laptop hardware.
Screen resolution is missing.
Also, complete problem reporting files when booting from USB would be useful.
Also, make sure your BIOS is up-to-date (old BIOS is not supported).
Recommend you use my build of Clover (no way for me to verify the version of Clover you chose is any good).
EmuVariableUefi-64.efi is not needed with the 4540s.

Thank you. I've updated my signature's laptop details to more completely reflect my laptop build.

I'm unsure how to generate complete problem reporting files because I'm unable to boot from the external USB drive and the problem reporting guide requests only the EFI/Clover folder and a screenshot with unsuccessful boots.

Regardless, I have attached additional problem reporting files as generated after booting from my internal, working SSD which, as far as I can tell, contains identical Clover builds and EFI folder as the external USB HDD.

The build of Clover I used is Clover_v2.4k_r4297, as linked from your guide.

If I remove EmuVariableUefi-64.efi, do I simply reboot and test?

Attachments

• Rehabman.zip
    56.3 KB · Views: 93
  • ioreg.ioreg
    4.9 MB · Views: 272
  • kextstat terminal output.txt
    4.2 KB · Views: 365
Thank you. I've updated my signature's laptop details to more completely reflect my laptop build.

I'm unsure how to generate complete problem reporting files because I'm unable to boot from the external USB drive and the problem reporting guide requests only the EFI/Clover folder and a screenshot with unsuccessful boots.

Regardless, I have attached additional problem reporting files as generated after booting from my internal, working SSD which, as far as I can tell, contains identical Clover builds and EFI folder as the external USB HDD.

The build of Clover I used is Clover_v2.4k_r4297, as linked from your guide.

If I remove EmuVariableUefi-64.efi, do I simply reboot and test?

Problem Reporting files must represent the problem scenario.

Hi. I was out of town for a few days and haven't had a chance to check back in, but I wanted to give you an update.

I was able to boot to the desktop using safe mode (machine performed poorly, as expected). I tried rebuilding the kextcache, but upon reboot, same result: machine panics at that same line, then reboots.

Worst case scenario, I boot safe mode, recover files if needed, then clone the external USB to the internal SSD, rebuild kextcache, and go from there?

Regardless, thank you very much for your time these past few weeks. Your patient guidance is VERY much appreciated.

Hi. I was out of town for a few days and haven't had a chance to check back in, but I wanted to give you an update.

I was able to boot to the desktop using safe mode (machine performed poorly, as expected). I tried rebuilding the kextcache, but upon reboot, same result: machine panics at that same line, then reboots.

Worst case scenario, I boot safe mode, recover files if needed, then clone the external USB to the internal SSD, rebuild kextcache, and go from there?

Regardless, thank you very much for your time these past few weeks. Your patient guidance is VERY much appreciated.

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back