Contribute
Register

UEFI Windows partition, change to legacy mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H
CPU
Intel Core i5 4570 3,2GHz LGA1150
Graphics
GTX 980 Ti - MSI Gaming 6G
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
UEFI Windows partition, can't dual boot with Clover

Hi folks,

I am trying to dual boot OS X 10.11 and Windows 10. Mac works fine (default installation guide, with clover bootloader and multibeast post installation (UEFI, not legacy mode)). Now Windows:

I am using the Gigabyte z97xud3h and I installed Windows on a UEFI partition, it seems. Is there any way I can make it work or am i really forced to erase the drive and install it again in legacy mode? Any chance I can dual boot OS X and Windows on UEFI? When I boot with both drives connected, it only shows the Hackintosh partition.

Any tip is greatly appreciated!! Thanks a lot in advance!
Fred

Hi folks,

I am trying to dual boot OS X 10.11 and Windows 10. Mac works fine (default installation guide, with clover bootloader and multibeast post installation (UEFI, not legacy mode)). Now Windows:

I am using the Gigabyte z97xud3h and I installed Windows on a UEFI partition, it seems. Is there any way I can make it work or am i really forced to erase the drive and install it again in legacy mode? Any chance I can dual boot OS X and Windows on UEFI? When I boot with both drives connected, it only shows the Hackintosh partition.

Any tip is greatly appreciated!! Thanks a lot in advance!
Fred

If you installed Win10 UEFI mode you should be seeing 4 icons in Clover UEFI. To check Win10, open the disk management utility and look at the Win10 drive. What are the partitions shown for the Win10 drive?

Thank you for your help! It's much appreciated. :) Here are some screenshots: IMG_0118.jpgIMG_0119.jpgIMG_0120.jpgIMG_0121.jpgIMG_0122.jpg

You have Windows installed in Legacy mode. To double check this, boot using function hotkey to select a boot device and select the Windows drive, boot to Windows. Run the disk management tool and look at the Windows drive. How many partitions and what are they labeled?

I have one partition, plus what appears to be a 500mb partition reserved for the system. Seems to be indeed legacy mode. No references to EFI found. Now that we know it's legacy mode, can I just run multibeast and install the legacy mode drivers? Or what should I do?
12342735_10207877801453240_7313694353743973839_n.jpg

I have one partition, plus what appears to be a 500mb partition reserved for the system. Seems to be indeed legacy mode. No references to EFI found. Now that we know it's legacy mode, can I just run multibeast and install the legacy mode drivers? Or what should I do?
View attachment 165239

With Windows installed Legacy mode you have choices:
Re-install Windows, reformatting the drive to GPT in the process.
Installing Clover in Legacy mode
Trying to convert the MBR partition scheme to GPT without having to re-install Windows.

You can try procedure shown at http://www.thewindowsclub.com/convert-mbr-to-gpt-disk , but before you try it make a disk image with the Windows backup tools and store it offline somewhere so you can restore it if the conversion does not go well.

I erased a disk and created GPT table style on it (with live usb booted gparted).

I created what was supposed to be an UEFI usb bootable windows 7 installer with rufus (following some dedicated tutorials).

I checked the UEFI only boot mode in the bios of my mobo, but no way to see the usb as a bootable device.

When allowing legacy boot mode I can see the usb at boot. Of course it's not listed as a UEFI bootable choice, just simple legacy one.

Is there any special thing to do to make a true UEFI bootable windows usb key ?

I erased a disk and created GPT table style on it (with live usb booted gparted).

I created what was supposed to be an UEFI usb bootable windows 7 installer with rufus (following some dedicated tutorials).

I checked the UEFI only boot mode in the bios of my mobo, but no way to see the usb as a bootable device.

When allowing legacy boot mode I can see the usb at boot. Of course it's not listed as a UEFI bootable choice, just simple legacy one.

Is there any special thing to do to make a true UEFI bootable windows usb key ?

Use the Windows media tool to create the USB - Rufus does not create a UEFI installer.

while my el capitan is uefi installed, will it be a problem to re install legacy clover ?

That's exactly what I'd like to know. I guess I'll just try out and see if it works without having to reinstall OSX from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back