Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I was attempting to generate a triple boot with OS X 10.8, Windows 7 Ultimate, and Ubuntu 13.04. Using the Lifehacker Guide as a reference. http://lifehacker.com/5698205/how-to-triple-boot-your-hackintosh-with-windows-and-linux. I created my partitions, installed windows, and installed ubuntu without much of a hitch. I booted back into linux and ran gptsync and restarted, but instead of booting into windows like the guide predicts, I'm given a GRUB menu with the choices:

Ubuntu
Advanced options for Ubuntu
Mac OS X (32-bit) (on /dev/sda2)
Mac OS X (64-bit) (on /dev/sda2)
Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda3)

The Ubuntu option boots properly about 70% of the time with the occasional prompt like so, that if you reboot goes away:

Gave up waiting for root device. Common Problems:
- Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
- Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
- Check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
- Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/(long hex string here) does not exist. Dropping to shell!

BusyBox v1.20.2 built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for list of build-in commands

(initramfs) _

Both the Mac OS X options do not work at all and stall at a blank screen.

Windows 7 Produces the following:

error: invalid EFI file path.

press any key to continue...

after you press a key it just returns to the GRUB menu.

OS X was installed with Unibeast/Multibeast method and worked properly before the triple boot attempt.

System is built on Gigabyte Z77-DS3h rev 1.1 with i5 3570K

How do I go about fixing this? I'm not an expert in bootloaders and the like, and I've gathered that I need to do something in order to get the boot loader switch to Chamera or Chameleon (I think Chamera is the one used in the Unibeast process).

I'm not sure where I have gone wrong or what steps I need to add. Any advice would be fantastic! Thanks, for taking the time to read.

So I went through and followed your tutorial for the most part, changing it where appropriate (Only need 1 windows partition etc). I am now at a point where All operating systems are bootable. The current state is that if you just turn the computer on, it will boot windows (No Chimera). If you boot from the Unibeast drive, you can get into all operating systems like you should be able to. If I boot into Ubuntu, and use

sudo fdisk /dev/sda

a

a

w

To set the Mac partition to being active, when I boot it just sits at a screen with the

_

Blinking (Can't type anything). I've tried reversing it (so that it just boots windows), going to Start -> Computer -> Manage -> Disk Management and attempting to right click and make the Mac Partition active, but it is greyed out. I have also tried to boot to the windows install DVD and entering recovery mode, getting to a command prompt, and doing the following:

DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK 0
LIST PARTITION
select partition 2
active
exit

But this also causes the blank screen on boot. I'm so close I can smell it, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

So I went through and followed your tutorial for the most part, changing it where appropriate (Only need 1 windows partition etc). I am now at a point where All operating systems are bootable. The current state is that if you just turn the computer on, it will boot windows (No Chimera). If you boot from the Unibeast drive, you can get into all operating systems like you should be able to. If I boot into Ubuntu, and use

sudo fdisk /dev/sda

a

a

w

To set the Mac partition to being active, when I boot it just sits at a screen with the

_

Blinking (Can't type anything). I've tried reversing it (so that it just boots windows), going to Start -> Computer -> Manage -> Disk Management and attempting to right click and make the Mac Partition active, but it is greyed out. I have also tried to boot to the windows install DVD and entering recovery mode, getting to a command prompt, and doing the following:

DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK 0
LIST PARTITION
select partition 2
active
exit

But this also causes the blank screen on boot. I'm so close I can smell it, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

If you followed the guide, then your computer should boot into Chimera, not Windows. Maybe you have a 4k/AF drive and need the boot0 fix. See: http://www.tonymacx86.com/25-boot0-error-official-guide.html

I did have to apply that while part of the way through your guide. Turns out the solution was to boot into OS X and re install the chimera download. I now have a perfectly working triple boot hackintosh. Thanks so much for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back