Contribute
Register

Triple Boot - Can I install Mavericks on a workstation already running Win 7 & Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi Everyone

I have an assembled workstation on which I have a dual boot installation of Windows 7 and Ubuntu. Now this is a fairly stable system as is which I use for film/video editing on Avid. However, I am looking to try out FCPX which is why I would like to install Mavericks on this machine. I understand that by reformatting and re-partitioning the drive, this should be possible. I have a triple boot installation running on another machine.

However, on this machine, I do not want to mess with the existing partitions, which is why I wouldn't mind adding a separate internal HD for the Mavericks install. Can someone walk me through an effective method to install Mavericks on a separate HD without affecting the current setup one bit? And would it be possible to select the boot option through the BIOS instead of having to install a bootloader?

Thanks.

Hi Everyone

I have an assembled workstation on which I have a dual boot installation of Windows 7 and Ubuntu. Now this is a fairly stable system as is which I use for film/video editing on Avid. However, I am looking to try out FCPX which is why I would like to install Mavericks on this machine. I understand that by reformatting and re-partitioning the drive, this should be possible. I have a triple boot installation running on another machine.

However, on this machine, I do not want to mess with the existing partitions, which is why I wouldn't mind adding a separate internal HD for the Mavericks install. Can someone walk me through an effective method to install Mavericks on a separate HD without affecting the current setup one bit? And would it be possible to select the boot option through the BIOS instead of having to install a bootloader?

Thanks.
Did you install Win7 Legacy Mode or UEFI? If you did you will need to use Clover as your boot loader instead of Chimera unless you re-install Windows.
Get a new HDD/SSD and install OS X on it. See http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/96000-guide-dual-booting-mountain-lion-windows-8-a.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back