Contribute
Register

TP-Link TL-WN881ND (Atheros 8297 Chipset) - No WiFi After Sierra Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
use DCPI manager and rebuild the cache and repair permissions. remove any fake id and toledaarpt

i have the same adapter thats i using it in sierra
View attachment 212101

In my DPCIManager, for the device, Vendor is 168C, Device is 002E, Sub Vendor is 168C, Sub Device is 30A4. Which string should i be adding then? Or Both. I'm not sure why it wouldn't recognize the device after I added your string in the kext - especially since that appears to be my device.

use DCPI manager and rebuild the cache and repair permissions. remove any fake id and toledaarpt

i have the same adapter thats i using it in sierra
View attachment 212101
This is driving me nuts. I tried editing the kext with one device ID at a time... First pci168c,2e then pci138c,30a4. Neither of them worked. I went into my EFI and removed ToledaArpt and made sure my Fake ID in Clover was set to default (0x0) rebooted, nothing happened.

If I upload my whole info.plist would you take a look at it? Maybe my EFI? I don't know what I could be doing wrong. It shows up in DPCIManager of course... But my WiFi icon in the task bar still says "No Hardware Installed"

I got it half working, I accidentally copied the El Capitan kext over sometime after I upgraded... and had been editing that. I can get the device to show up with either the dev ID or sub ID as listed in DPCI Manager - the strings pci168c,2e and pci138c,30a4. That is without the ToledaArpt.kext in EFI or any Fake ID's in the config.plist. But I cannot get the device to connect to my main network. I'm not sure how you are using WiFi with an incorrect RegDomain. I used the Clover patch I mentioned above to force mine to FCC / US rather than Unknown / CN - but my device doesn't connect to my home network. When I attempt to connect, my main network either won't show up in the taskbar WiFi menu, and gives me the error

The Wi-Fi network could not be joined.

Try moving closer to your wireless router. Alternatively, run Wireless Diagnostics to troubleshoot.

Have you had this issue before? Do you have any clue as to why that's happening? My router is within close range, and I used the Clover patch to correct the RegDomain issue that happens after you have added the Device ID string to Info.Plist.

I got it half working, I accidentally copied the El Capitan kext over sometime after I upgraded... and had been editing that. I can get the device to show up with either the dev ID or sub ID as listed in DPCI Manager - the strings pci168c,2e and pci138c,30a4. That is without the ToledaArpt.kext in EFI or any Fake ID's in the config.plist. But I cannot get the device to connect to my main network. I'm not sure how you are using WiFi with an incorrect RegDomain. I used the Clover patch I mentioned above to force mine to FCC / US rather than Unknown / CN - but my device doesn't connect to my home network. When I attempt to connect, my main network either won't show up in the taskbar WiFi menu, and gives me the error

The Wi-Fi network could not be joined.

Try moving closer to your wireless router. Alternatively, run Wireless Diagnostics to troubleshoot.

Have you had this issue before? Do you have any clue as to why that's happening? My router is within close range, and I used the Clover patch to correct the RegDomain issue that happens after you have added the Device ID string to Info.Plist.
i didn't have such an issue everything is working perfectly even USB 3.1. WiFi is giving me the full acceleration.

go to this path on finder(you have to use 'go to folder' option in finder)

/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirportAtheros40.kext/Contents

then copy info.plist on your desktop

Add this entry next to the others already present:

<string>pci168c,2e</string>

and paste it back to the directory that you copied it will ask you to replace so replace it.

download and run DCPI manager
Repair permissions
Rebuild cache
and restart your computer

View attachment 212090

I can confirm this (for el captain and sierra). The important step is to use DCPI manager, otherwise it will not work.

Last edited:
Did you actually manage to make it work? I have the very same card and the same problem on sierra

Here is what worked on el capitan and doesn't work now on Sierra..

<string>pci168c,30</string>
<string>pci168c,2a</string>
<string>pci106b,0086</string>
<string>pci168c,1c</string>
<string>pci168c,23</string>
<string>pci168c,24</string>
<string>pci168c,2e</string>

Any suggestions?

I can confirm this (for el captain and sierra). The important step is to use DCPI manager, otherwise it will not work.
Hi. I have same problem.
I complete all steps, but my wifi still not work.
Then I check my hardware ID, try to add in to info.plist, but still not appears.
Here is screenshot with my params http://take.ms/yoB24
I will be grateful for any help.

I managed to find my problem and fixed my wifi for good with this card! Everything mentioned here works!My mistake was that when i updated to sierra i instantly replaced my IO80211Family.kext with the one that i had modified for el capitan and everything i did was on the old kext that's thy it wasn't working:banghead::banghead:. After i updated to 10.12.1 the IO80211Family.kext was replaced with the original sierra one, so i added the last string<string>pci168c,2e</string> used the DCPI manager and it was working.
I hope this helps:thumbup:

I managed to find my problem and fixed my wifi for good with this card! Everything mentioned here works!My mistake was that when i updated to sierra i instantly replaced my IO80211Family.kext with the one that i had modified for el capitan and everything i did was on the old kext that's thy it wasn't working:banghead::banghead:. After i updated to 10.12.1 the IO80211Family.kext was replaced with the original sierra one, so i added the last string<string>pci168c,2e</string> used the DCPI manager and it was working.
I hope this helps:thumbup:
So, where can I download correct IO80211Family.kext, can you share?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back