Contribute
Register

Time to upgrade: graphics card - from High Sierra to Monterey!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
asrock z370 extreme 4
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 1060
EDIT: I realized I posted in the wrong section... Sorry

Dear Tonymacx86 community, it's time to upgrade!

Back in 2018 I built my first and only hackintosh – High Sierra 10.13.4: it took me a lot to get it fully functional but, since then (5 years!), it never gave any problems :)

Main components:
- z370 extreme4
- i7 8700k
- Geforce gtx 1060 gaming 3gb

Objective: to update graphics card for gaming on windows ssd parallel to hackintosh ssd.

After some research I'm about to buy an AMD RX6650 XT; I've read that the 6600 series is supported from Monterey onwards and that it's possible to spoof the 6650 with a 6600. I've read that geforce is no longer supported after High Sierra.

And so, before making unrecoverable mess, I would like some advice on how best to operate.

First of all I would do this: clone ssd with working High Sierra using Carbon Copy Cloner (doing so I should make an identical copy, right?)

And then, what do you think is better?

1 – upgrade slowly from working High Sierra up to Monterey? My problem will be that the Geforce won't be recognized anymore from a certain point on, and then I'll have to switch from Geforce to AMD anyway.

2 – attempt a fresh installation of Monterey from scratch; my fear is getting stuck trying to get my hardware to work optimally.

3 - add rx6650 and use it only with windows to the z370 and leave the 1060 with today's High Sierra. But I don't really know if it's possible and if it is a good solution.

In any case I also have to understand how to add the boot for windows on another ssd (I'm reading a few things now)...

Thanks a lot everyone!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back