Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

You can wait but understand it's deep in the guts of the board and means a complete teardown.
[/

Well I’ve taken the chip out already by following someone’s YouTube video I believe. I’ve even taken pics to help out this guide because I felt that was one part that was missing. But then I saw that you did so yourself 2 days after I took mine out :thumbup:

The chip is the only this now missing from my build.

I bought it from Hong Kong so I hope it’s a real/working one... will let you know as soon as I get it.
The thing with buying from the east is that you never know when you’re going to get it... ;)

@Monkey303 I added sensor support for a bunch of boards so you should be able to get fan RPM in HWMonitorSMC2

Thanks Mike, but not using HWMonitor, I use iStat menus. I'll let you know if there's any change in that.

Well I’ve taken the chip out already by following someone’s YouTube video I believe. I’ve even taken pics to help out this guide because I felt that was one part that was missing. But then I saw that you did so yourself 2 days after I took mine out :thumbup:

The chip is the only this now missing from my build.

I bought it from Hong Kong so I hope it’s a real/working one... will let you know as soon as I get it.
The thing with buying from the east is that you never know when you’re going to get it... ;)

Unfortunately, I can almost guarantee it won't work, save yourself some time and frustration, order one from Dell or find a used OEM one from a vendor you trust.

About the installation: Are you talking about the DW1560 installation in the guide on the 1st page? What was missing?

Great guide... I do have an issue though: I am stuck on the install Mojave step. After selecting the install option the Apple logo takes a while to appear and the progress bar is extremely slow and never finishes.
I have same components as your build with exception of the WiFi card and 2 x16 GB DDR4 memory sticks.
What can cause the failure to load the initial setup screen? Progress stalls at around 70% and then tahes a long time to go up to 100% but never completes the initial setup screen load....

Have updated BIOS, loaded defaults, then applied your settings per guide. Using the EFI replacement for discreet graphics per guide.

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-I Gaming, 2 x 16 GB RipJaw DDR4 3200,
AMD PowerCOLOR DRAGON RX580, WD NVME 500 GB, Intel i7 8700K

Last edited:
A few questions:
  1. Did you replace the EFI on the installer with the one you downloaded from the guide?
  2. When did you download it? There was a major issue caused by the new Asus BIOS that I only fixed yesterday evening.
  3. Are you sure it's hung? How long has it been there?

Last edited:
I downloaded it a few days ago and updated the BIOS on Friday. I will re-download and try again now..
1.) Yes I did
2.) two days ago
3.) yes, definitely hung as it was sitting for hours and there was no actvity light on the drives

Last edited:
Definitely the issue.
Hello ModMike,

I am reporting success... Mojave is up and running. I still had issues with the updated files you provided. I then checked my BIOS settings and found that according to your guide the integrated Grafics option needed to be turned on to get to the other settings. I turned internal graphics off. That did it... Am running benchmarks now. Will post when ready.

Thanks for your work on this. Its been by far the most straight forward build!

Hello ModMike,

I am reporting success... Mojave is up and running. I still had issues with the updated files you provided. I then checked my BIOS settings and found that according to your guide the integrated Grafics option needed to be turned on to get to the other settings. I turned internal graphics off. That did it... Am running benchmarks now. Will post when ready.

Thanks for your work on this. Its been by far the most straight forward build!

Max470, thank you for your feedback. I was just about to strip some patched files but it looks like there is no need now. Can you update your profile so I know what you building? Do you have a graphics card or are you using the built-in one only? Also, did you install a DW1560 WiFi card and if so does it work?

My memory (RAM) that should have been delivered yesterday will now not be here until Tuesday (grrr). The rest of the rig is built and I'll get on the load as soon as I pop the memory in. Oh, btw....I can confirm that the computer will do nothing other than spin the fans with no RAM.....

Back