Contribute
Register

The Dell OptiMac Big Sur/OpenCore Thread - For 7020/9020 Optiplex Desktops

if it booted fine before, then best re check your bios settings again
I feel stupid, I should have checked them and send a message (if needed) afterwards.
I fixed the BIOS settings and booted up. Thanks for your kind reply

I feel stupid, I should have checked them and send a message (if needed) afterwards.
I fixed the BIOS settings and booted up. Thanks for your kind reply
Glad you got it sorted :)

Great Deal on Amazon Alert. Buy two kits to max out your SFF or MT ram.

A 16GB DDR3L 1600 MHz Ram kit from Timetec for just $45 !

Screen Shot 6.jpg

This is my latest case recommendation for moving your 7020/9020 MT motherboard into a new case. As you'll see there is plenty of room for a longer graphics card and the Harbin Repairs adapters that you'll need to make it work.

The case is very affordable too. Find it on Amazon.com in black or white. Most high quality cases now start at 90 USD and this is twenty dollars less than that. Use the money you'll save for the two Harbin Repairs adapters.

1652629394083.png

I wouldn't try to fit a 280mm radiator on the top. 240 would be the max length.

Last edited:
If you don't want a glass side panel and want to spend less money then go with the Versa H17 which sells for $52 currently on Amazon.com. The cooling/airflow won't be as good as the S100 TG but it should be quieter than that. I've owned and built in one of these a few years ago and it's very spacious for a mATX case. It's not high airflow so if you game a lot in Windows it may not be right for you. Liquid cooling will work ok if you want a 240 or 280 rad.

1652633738754.png

Last edited:
The complete Monterey guide is now published. For those starting out with Monterey on their 7020/9020 desktop, it's got links to only the most important parts of both the Mojave and Big Sur guides. I'm trying to make this one as short, simple and succinct as possible. The guide works for both Big Sur and Monterey. It uses Macmini7,1 SMBIOS. You can also choose the iMac17,1 EFI if you'll be installing an AMD discrete graphics card and running Monterey.

Have a look.

Last edited:
please advise.
I have big sur on 9020 tower and all work except that I cannot set up dual display. when I tried dual dp ( use dp to hdmi adapter ), OC boot but it goes to blank screen. appreciate any help.config.plist attached below. thanks again

Attachments

• config.plist
    20.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
all work except that I cannot set up dual display. when I tried dual dp ( use dp to hdmi adapter )
Which brand of adapter are you using ? Are they active or passive ?

Which version of OpenCore are you using ? If it's an older version or even the latest 0.8.0 it may require changes to your config.plist.

If you want to try an experiment, use the attached OC 0.8.0 EFI folder and see if it allows dual monitors. Make sure to clean/reset NVRAM before booting with this EFI folder. If it works you can always change the SMBIOS to iMac15,1 and also change the USB ports kext to that as well (or use the one you already have).

If you plan on upgrading to Monterey later on, iMac15,1 won't work as it's not supported.

Attachments

• OC 0.8.0 Macmini 7,1 w GUI EFI(1).zip
    9.8 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Which brand of adapter are you using ? Are they active or passive ?

Which version of OpenCore are you using ? If it's an older version or even the latest 0.8.0 it may require changes to your config.plist.

If you want to try an experiment, use the attached OC 0.8.0 EFI folder and see if it allows dual monitors. Make sure to clean/reset NVRAM before booting with this EFI folder. If it works you can always change the SMBIOS to iMac15,1 and also change the USB ports kext to that as well (or use the one you already have).

If you plan on upgrading to Monterey later on, iMac15,1 won't work as it's not supported.

I am using oc 0.7.
I tried that EFI before. it does not even go into OC . I think my dp to hdmi adapter is passive. do you think that is the issue. I can buy active dp adapter and try again. it is igpu that I am using. thanks again

ANOTHER ISSUE

even though current OC work for one monitor, as soon as I updated the SMBIOS to iMac 15,1 and generate serial number and uuid, the OC stuck at driver at 0 cannot be loaded- unsupported error message. can you advise?

Last edited:
I tried that EFI before. it does not even go into OC
Two things you have to do for it to work. Put your SmUUID into the config.plist Platform Info -> Generic section and have CFG unlocked. Have you done both of those ?

Back