Contribute
Register

The Dell OptiMac Big Sur/OpenCore Thread - For 7020/9020 Optiplex Desktops

Are you planning to make a guide like this for the Dell Optiplex 9020 or a newer Dell or HP model for the monterey?

Are you planning to make a guide like this for the Dell Optiplex 9020 or a newer Dell or HP model for the monterey?
I've already posted a couple of EFI folders that work with Monterey. There's no reason to write a new guide as it's exactly the same to install Monterey as the steps you perform to install Big Sur. Also, I'm waiting to see what Apple does with macOS 13 before buying anything newer. There's already a good HP Elitedesk Mini G4/G5 guide by Deeveedee that you can take a look at. Uses UHD 630 graphics which I'm sure will still have support for a few more macOS versions. That said, your 9020 should be able to easily run macOS 13 with a supported AMD card.

I've already posted a couple of EFI folders that work with Monterey. There's no reason to write a new guide as it's exactly the same as what you do to install Big Sur. Also, I'm waiting to see what Apple does with macOS 13 before buying anything newer. There's already a good HP micro guide by Deeveedee that you can take a look at. Uses UHD 630 graphics which I'm sure will still have support for a few more macOS versions.
Thanks a lot!

Added the OpenCore 0.7.8 EFI folder for the Mac mini 7,1 today. Now has the OC GUI for those that prefer that.
Find it at the end of post #2 of this thread.

Remember that your SystemUUID data must be filled in first before trying to boot with the Mac mini EFI folder. If it isn't you'll get a black screen.

Screen_Shot_3.jpg

Last edited:
thank you for this guide and all the files you provide! I have been running catalina and clover flawlessly for quite sometime and wanted to give Big Sur a try. I am not new to OC since I used it (0.6.5) for my hp15 with Big Sur, however now I am facing a weird problem: I followed the guide in dortania and integrated with the ssdt and quirks provided here yet in OC menu I don’t see install Big Sur and if I start with no ssd attached I get the no drive error. I tried downloading Big Sur with both gibmacos and the curl method in the dortania guide, and tried both the oc gen-x method as well as the download of the releasepkg. The structure of my efi seems correct, is it a problem of oc 7.7? What else could I be doing wrong? I read the first 20 pages of the thread and no hint there as well

Edit: I’ve used your efi macmini changing serials and it works perfectly thanks (still curious about above though)

Last edited:
What else could I be doing wrong? I read the first 20 pages of the thread and no hint there as well
First thing to do is run your config.plist through OCvalidate. That will tell you what's off. If that checks out OK it's most likely you need to add the SmUUID to the Mac mini 7,1 EFI folder's config.plist before you boot from that. Then you'll see the OC boot menu and the Big Sur option. It goes into the .plist under Platforminfo -> Generic -> SystemUUID

BTW the latest EFI attached uses OC 0.7.8

Last edited:
Hi @trs96 - Wanted to thank you for all the work you have done! I got my 9020 MT running Big Sur. Also, made updates to the EFI and now sleep works with Legacy Option Rom and USB Wake enabled. Everything looks great.

GB 5 scores are respectable:

1645038232189.jpeg

So - thank you for all that you have done! It's a really stable system.

I do have couple of questions for you:

1. Have you updated OC to the latest version? And do we keep updating OC as newer versions are released?
2. Does leaving Legacy Rom enabled have any negative impact on the performance? Guess, I'm asking if I should revert and forgo sleep for a better performing machine.
3. Do you run your GPU in headless form? I did not do that part and I'm wondering if I make the changes, would that then break sleep/wake since I'll be removing all those entries from the config.plist.

I noticed Big Sur is just a wee bit slower than Catalina. Or maybe it's my imagination? What are your thoughts? And have you done anything to improve performance, etc.

Thanks again for all your work and the time you have spent on this!!

Last edited:
1. Have you updated OC to the latest version? And do we keep updating OC as newer versions are released?
If these were 12th Gen Z690 PCs with the latest greatest chipset, then you would need to keep up with the latest OC version. Since these Dells are now 8-9 years old there's no need to do that. If the OC version you have works, leave it alone. Most of the new additions to OC are adding compatibility for new hardware, not the older stuff. If you are dual booting with Linux, I would say yes, update OpenCore. It would make a difference then. Here's some changes in 0.7.8:
  • Added support for .contentFlavour and .contentDetails files for boot entry protocol entries including OpenLinuxBoot
  • Added LINUX_BOOT_ADD_RW flag to OpenLinuxBoot to support e.g. EndeavourOS
  • Added flags+= and flags-= arguments to OpenLinuxBoot to simplify setting driver flags if needed
  • Fixed OpenLinuxBoot entry name disambiguation when LINUX_BOOT_USE_LATEST flag is clear
  • Updated builtin firmware versions for SMBIOS and the rest
  • Fixed crash in OpenLinuxBoot with partly (re-)installed Linux distro
2. Does leaving Legacy Rom enabled have any negative impact on the performance?
None at all. It just allows legacy booting but it does also help sleep work normally. Leave it enabled.
3. Do you run your iGPU in headless form?
No, I don't run the HD4600 headless as I'm not encoding and decoding video files on a regular basis. Video editors will benefit but general users don't need that.
I noticed Big Sur is just a wee bit slower than Catalina.
Slower when doing what ? If you have a 4790 and are booting from an SSD, that's as fast as you can get. The only other upgrade to go faster, would be an NVMe boot drive. If you want that there is now a BIOS mod that lets you boot directly from NVMe for faster boot times, opening programs and general zippyness for lack of a better word. ;)

These machines have a UEFI BIOS, but they do not contain an NVMe driver. By adding the driver into the BIOS you can boot from a PCIe NVMe SSD. Paul Murana, guide author and 9020 OptiMac owner.

Anyone trying this should go slowly, double check every step and don't deviate from the guide. It could lead to a bricked motherboard if you do something wrong inside the BIOS when injecting the driver. Proceed with caution. If you mess up you can always replace the board but who wants to go through all that ?

Last edited:
Got it. Will leave OC alone - I'm not dual booting or doing anything out of the norm. Just booting up Big Sur. And point take on Legacy Options. Will leave that alone as well.

I do have a NVME in a PCI slot using that adapter. I did not bother with modifying the BIOS to boot directly from it, so the machine boots from the regular SSD drive to open core, and then from there I select the NVME drive and the OS loads from there.

So, I'm seeing noticeably slower response time when Office apps. For example, (especially after a fresh start), when I launch Outlook or One Note. They are bouncing on the dock for a while, before they come up. Maybe I'm just being picky - but I don't recall that same behavior on Catalina.

I did some tweaks, and turned off Reduce motion in 'Accessibility' and also 'Allow wallpaper tinting' in General. Read somewhere, that those two should help things speed up a bit.

Like I said, maybe I'm just being picky. But it's something I noticed that's different from Catalina.

Apple Apps come up in a jiffy... Maps, Photos, Calendar. All launch within a couple of seconds. Maybe it's just the office apps are hogs. :)

Word, for example, took at least 6 to 7 bounces before it came up.

Back