Contribute
Register

The Dell OptiMac Big Sur/OpenCore Thread - For 7020/9020 Optiplex Desktops

Monterey 12.3 testers wanted

The attached OC EFI has the FeatureUnlock kext. What this means is that Sidecar and Universal Control can potentially work on your Optiplex 9020 SFF or MT. You must be using Macmini7,1 SMBIOS and the HD4600 iGPU and have a natively supported Wifi/BT card like the Fenvi FV-HB-1200 or FV-T919. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T9JD93Y/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 or https://www.newegg.com/fenvi-fv-t919-pci-express/p/0XM-00JK-00033

Monterey 12.3 should be released soon if you are not running the 12.3 public beta releases. Remember that you must have at least your SmUUID filled in on your config.plist for this EFI folder to be bootable. Those with a MT 7020 or 9020 will need to add the internal USB 2.0 header HS13 to the USB ports kext. Set it to internal (255) as well. Otherwise BT will not work and Universal Control will not work without BT functionality. Make sure your OptiMac and Apple devices are all signed in with the same AppleID.

Try it out on an EFI partition of a USB flash drive. If you do have an iPhone or iPad having these features working would be awesome. Remember that you'll need the latest iOS or iPadOS on your iDevice.

Attachments

• OC 0.8.0 Macmini7,1.zip
    3 MB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Can you propose an nvme 240-500 gb for Monterey? I prefer Crucial,Samsung,Kingston,Sandisk. Thanks.

Can you propose an nvme 240-500 gb for Monterey? I prefer Crucial,Samsung,Kingston,Sandisk. Thanks.
Yes, it appears that WD drives with their proprietary controller work well with Monterey. They now own Sandisk too so those drives should work. WD Black SN750 has proven to be a great choice so far, with Monterey. Any Samsung NVMe should be avoided as it can lead to longer boot times. TRIM is broken and you'd have to disable it completely which is not ideal. I like the HP NVMe drives as well even though they are not as fast as many others.

If you'd like to boot macOS directly from NVMe there is now a way to achieve that thanks to Paul Murana. Follow his detailed guide to inject the NVMe driver into your BIOS. Must have Windows to do this.

Last edited:
Hi trs96,

Can I ask for some help with this VDA Decoder. I have set the AAPL,ig-platform-id to 0300220D to get the sleep working correctly.

The bios is set Primary Display to "Auto" and Multi-Display is "Enabled".

I don't have an option of Primary Display to "dgpu" - It's not an option for me in the BIOS for some reason. Is that what I'm missing and how do I get this option in BIOS.

In Hackintool, the VDA Decoder shows Failed:

1647803951801.png

I'm attaching my config.plist.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:
the VDA Decoder shows Failed
Set the AAPL,ig-platform-id to: 04001204
That will enable Intel Quicksync for decoding and encoding.
You won't be able to use an onboard DP output to power a disaplay.

When running headless you can delete the framebuffer entries. Headless framebuffers (where the dGPU is the display out) do not need framebuffer-patch-enable, framebuffer-stolenmem and framebuffer-fbmem.

Last edited:
Got it. Would "sleep" still work or would it break? Thanks for the fast reply!!

Would "sleep" still work or would it break?
If Legacy Option ROMs are enabled then sleep should work. If disabled it probably won't.

No Dice. AAPL,ig-platform-id is set to: 04001204. Also removed all four frame-buffer entries:

framebuffer-fbmem
framebuffer-patch-enable
framebuffer-solenmem
frame buffer-unifiedmem

P.S. Sleep still works!

Is it that Primary Display being set to "Auto" instead of "dgpu"? Curious why I don't have that option in the BIOS....

Any ideas?

Thank you!!

Any ideas?
Remove or disable (all zeros) the disable-external-gpu option in the config.list

After making a config.plist change, reboot, reset NvRam at the OC boot menu then
test again with Hackintool app to see if the iGPU is running headless.

Last edited:
The bios is set Primary Display to "Auto" and Multi-Display is "Enabled".

I don't have an option of Primary Display to "dgpu" - It's not an option for me in the BIOS for some reason. Is that what I'm missing and how do I get this option in BIOS.
When I use iMac15,1 SMBIOS (which is the best choice for Big Sur) I can set the Primary Graphics Display to NVIDIA HD Graphics. VDA decoder shows that it's enabled. I'm testing with a Nvidia K600 Quadro which is similar (GK107) to the NVS 510 you are using, it just has one DP output instead of four.

IMG_20220321_083649773.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 8.34.37 AM.png

Your serial info is not matched. It says you have a Late 2015 iMac 17,1 instead of Mid 2015 15,1.
Maybe that is related to your problems with running iGPU headless ?

Screen Shot 15.jpg

Last edited:
Back