Contribute
Register

The Dell OptiMac Big Sur/OpenCore Thread - For 7020/9020 Optiplex Desktops

Do you know specifically what causes the glitch, or does 0.7.6. solve it itself?
Good question. Haven't found anything specific yet. It's something that would "bug" me too much to just leave it not fixed so I'm looking into it.

I have been able to make a new EFI with 0.7.6 and it does go away.
The 2014 Mac mini is the last supported (by Monterey) Mac to use a Haswell iGPU as primary display graphics. The lowest spec version 7,1 mini has HD5000. So for iGPU only systems (7020/9020) the Macmini7,1 SMBIOS makes the most sense. The 2014 mini came with Yosemite pre-installed. That means you can install Yosemite and anything newer when using Macmini7,1 SMBIOS. If you try older versions than Monterey, let us know how it works out.

Find attached at the end of post #2 of this thread a Macmini7,1 EFI for Monterey 12.1. This is for testing purposes. It's not a completely finished product. It has no OpenCanopy GUI but does have the ModGRUBShell.efi tool.

You must already have CFG unlocked for this to work. If you haven't made that mod to the BIOS then please enable AppleXcpmCfgLock in your config.plist for the short term until you do that the proper way.
  • Haswell and newer only need AppleXcpmCfgLock set to Yes
Screen Shot 13.jpg

Also, fill in your Macmini7,1 Serials and SystemUUID before booting from this. Go to config.plist Platforminfo -> Generic then enter your specific info.

Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 6.47.09 PM.png

If the SystemUUID is not populated it can give you a black screen instead of the OC boot menu.

Leave any feedback here about how it works on your Dell 7020/9020 USFF or SFF using iGPU HD4600. It should also work with Big Sur if you want Macmini7,1 for that macOS version.
The iMac15,1 SMBIOS is the very best match for your OptiMac but sadly, Apple dropped support for it in Monterey. As of December 2021 Monterey is still a WIP (work in progress). Still buggy and BT will probably not work. Don't upgrade to it yet if you must have working bluetooth in your hackintosh.

Last edited:
Use GenSMBIOS to create the Macmini7,1 Serials and SMUUID. Run the script on the optiplex where you will install Monterey.

The video shows iMac15,1. You will need to use Macmini7,1 in place of that if you are installing Monterey 12.1.

Last edited:
@joostiphone I have a question about your OC EFI/Resources/Image folder. I see all the icons for macOS but what icon gets used for Windows 10/11 in the OC Boot Menu in a dual boot scenario ? Just this generic white and grey icon ? How about some color to match the other .icns ?

1639534575394.png

Also why are there two HDDs stacked on each other instead of just one ?

Screen Shot.jpg

I'd also say we could remove all the 10_8 and older icons because those OS X versions don't run on the 9020. 10.4 and 10.5 have absolutely no chance of ever running on a 9020. Snow Leopard, Lion and Mt. Lion wouldn't run well either. Would save a lot of space in the EFI folder. Find attached the GoldenGate icons folder reduced in size to 10MB.

Attachments

• GoldenGate.zip
    9.8 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:
does anyone has power issue... because my machine restarts when I try to do CPU heavy task and sometime for no reason... does anyone faced this issue...

does anyone has power issue... because my machine restarts when I try to do CPU heavy task and sometime for no reason... does anyone faced this issue...
Have you monitored the CPU temps when this happens ? How high do they get.

Have you tried another PSU ? Sometimes a faulty PSU can cause this to happen.
It doesn't have to completely fail to cause problems like this.

You can also upload your EFI folder, remove serials first. We'll take a look.

Last edited:
Have you monitored the CPU temps when this happens ? How high do they get.

Have you tried another PSU ? Sometimes a faulty PSU can cause this to happen.
It doesn't have to completely fail to cause problems like this.

You can also upload your EFI folder, remove serials first. We'll take a look.
previously I was using linux on this there was no issue..
& I've used Given EFI as it is & max temp I've seen was 72 DC

@joostiphone I have a question about your OC EFI/Resources/Image folder. I see all the icons for macOS but what icon gets used for Windows 10/11 in the OC Boot Menu in a dual boot scenario ? Just this generic white and grey icon ? How about some color to match the other .icns ?

View attachment 537206

Also why are there two HDDs stacked on each other instead of just one ?

View attachment 537205
I'd also say we could remove all the 10_8 and older icons because those OS X versions don't run on the 9020. 10.4 and 10.5 have absolutely no chance of ever running on a 9020. Snow Leopard, Lion and Mt. Lion wouldn't run well either. Would save a lot of space in the EFI folder. Find attached the GoldenGate icons folder reduced in size to 10MB.

We can indeed clean this up. When I was playing around with opencanopy, I never thought of removing the items that aren't being used.

The grey one is being used for Windows indeed (filename: Windows.icns).

The 2 drives stacked on each other is the theme-maker's decision, not sure why.

Do you already have the OC config file for 0.7.6? (sorry I just noticed your post above with the 076 efi. I will make my own 076 version when I have the time this week). If so, can you share that with the earlier improvements made? Then I can check it and upload it to hackindrom as the latest version available.

PS: I think I actually copied the icons from CaseySJ's Z390 EFI build. I'm not sure if these icons are standard in the GoldenGate theme.

Last edited:
previously I was using linux on this there was no issue..
I know, but using Linux doesn't rule out the possibility of a hardware problem.
Troubleshooting involves first determining whether it's a hardware or software problem.
You don't really know which it is yet, so you'll need to rule things out to know for sure.

"Sleep Wake" failure in EFI has come back...

Failure code:: 0x00000000 0x0000001f

As I have AMD GPU, I don't use actual "sleep" but only turn the displays off by using hot corners or set display automatically turned off in Energy Saver setting. There has been no problem with this setting both on Catalina and Big Sur in a single boot setting. However, after my configuring my Optimac with a dual boot of Win 10 and Big Sur, every time displays go off the system never comes back when I hit the keyboard or move the mouse. Just black screens. I have to force reboot the machine.

I followed the instruction in post #2 and used provided EFI. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    14.4 MB · Views: 60
Back