1. iMac
  2. LC
  3. Plus
  4. Power Mac
  5. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I changed temporarily my 9020 Optimac SMBIOS to iMac16,1 and after reboot I was offered to update from Big Sur 11 to Monterey.
I did that and everything works except there is no video signal after Wake and System Report says there is no kext for the MSI GeForce GT710 2GB LP (which works fine in Big Sur).
I tried to return to iMac15,1 but it wasn't permitted in Monterey, neither was MacMini7,1. iMac19,1 boots but there is no Sleep… so I keep iMac16,1, for now, and the Monterey SSD as a third boot option together with Big Sur and WIN 11.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GT 640
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I think I never mentioned; I'm using Windows 11 dual booted with Big Sur and Monterey since the beginning of Monterey and Win11's beta's. It's working great so far with updates on Win 11. A week ago I installed the final version of Win11.

My 9020 USFF system is now a dual boot system with Windows 11 and Monterey (beta).
I updated 9020 USFF to boot from Opencore following your EFI. It has the right graphics and full acceleration. Everything worked in Catalina so I moved on to Big Sur and Monterey. However, Chrome, Brave, and apps like Dropbox are missing text and images. I saw this problem in previous attempts to upgrade with Clover. So, I cannot find anyone yet with a similar problem. Perhaps you have a suggestion? The attached shows Chrome with Facebook page. They all look like this. It's really weird.

Attachments

• IMG_2678.JPG
    IMG_2678.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 14

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I updated 9020 USFF to boot from Opencore following your EFI. It has the right graphics and full acceleration. Everything worked in Catalina so I moved on to Big Sur and Monterey. However, Chrome, Brave, and apps like Dropbox are missing text and images.
Try turning off hardware acceleration in Chrome and see if it helps.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GT 640
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Try turning off hardware acceleration in Chrome and see if it helps.

Is there a way to do that without being able to see the settings page? Are there in any tweaks to the Intel graphics that might work?

I tried this in terminal, but the command doesn't work:
  1. defaults write com.google.chrome HardwareAccelerationModeEnabled -integer n
    Where n is 1 or 0. 1 will enable Hardware Acceleration. 0 will disabled it.
Removed Chrome and all Application files. Reinstalled. I could see the address bar, could enter the address for settings, and could disable hardware acceleration. That worked. Thanks for the kick in the pants.

But is this normal for the 9020s (mine dates from 2019)?

Last edited:

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Are there in any tweaks to the Intel graphics that might work?
If this only happens in Chrome/Brave etc. and doesn't in Safari I don't believe it has anything to do with Intel graphics. Those browsers were fully working in Catalina. So that leaves the cause as a problem with Chrome and Big Sur/Monterey.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
But is this normal for the 9020s (mine dates from 2019)
I only have the 7020/9020 SFF and MT. Never purchased a 9020 USFF. I can't report any problems with 3rd party browsers like Chrome. I've used it quite extensively too. Never seen any graphical glitches with it.

I tested HD4400 graphics once and there were many graphical glitches. That's why I suggest in the golden build to not use the Intel i3 CPUs that have HD4400. Examples are the i3-4130, 4150 and 4160.

Avoid the HD4400 versions such as the i3-4150 and i3-4160. To learn more about which i3s will work see: Using an i3 CPU with your Dell OptiMac

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GT 640
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I only have the 7020/9020 SFF and MT. Never purchased a 9020 USFF. I can't report any problems with 3rd party browsers like Chrome. I've used it quite extensively too. Never seen any graphical glitches with it.

I tested HD4400 graphics once and there were many graphical glitches. That's why I suggest in the golden build to not use the Intel i3 CPUs that have HD4400. Examples are the i3-4130, 4150 and 4160.
This USFF 9020 has HD 4600 graphics. That is why Monterey was possible. So far, the only difference between OSX 12 and Big Sur is a momentary lagginesa after booting up. (I'm looking around now to see if anyone has dealt with this minor flaw.)

Unlike joostiphone, I found a compatible wifi card with BT that works and allows for handoff. The antennae are modded to fit on the back. Onward. (I better update my profile to include this hack.)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I updated 9020 USFF to boot from Opencore following your EFI. It has the right graphics and full acceleration. Everything worked in Catalina so I moved on to Big Sur and Monterey. However, Chrome, Brave, and apps like Dropbox are missing text and images. I saw this problem in previous attempts to upgrade with Clover. So, I cannot find anyone yet with a similar problem. Perhaps you have a suggestion? The attached shows Chrome with Facebook page. They all look like this. It's really weird.

I think this has to do with unlocking the CFG and increasing the DVMT. Please do that according the beginpost to see if that fixes the problem.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GT 640
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I think this has to do with unlocking the CFG and increasing the DVMT. Please do that according the beginpost to see if that fixes the problem.
Thanks very much for your quick response. Since this is Ms. Werfel's Dell 9020 and she is now winging her way back, I went back to Clover and her Catalina setup and then worked from there, keeping Catalina because Chrome didn't have a problem. But, when I found out she didn't have HDMI sound and you did, I updated the AppleALC, Lilu, and Whatevergreen in her EFI folder. That made her old Clover 5022 unbootable. So, I decided to move on to Opencore.

I used your Monterey EFI and System folder as a starting point. The HDMI works, the Dropbox is clear and readable, but Chrome wasn't. So, I followed your suggestion above and unclocked CFG and increased DVMT.

But Chrome was still virtually textless and jpegless again. Since I knew how to find Advanced Settings "blindsided" and the the switch was visible to turn off hardware acceleration, now Chrome is usable again.

But I think this is a just a workaround.

Probably I need to try something else so that hardware acceleration can be enabled again. (I don't notice any difference, but . . .)

That said, I could probably do an upgrade to Big Sur now. (But there isn't much gain and more loss. You can't watch Apple Movies, can you?)

Again, a thousand thanks.

P.S. Still all good with hardware acceleration disabled in Chrome. In Catalina, the problem doesn't extend to the Dropbox app. But has anyone experienced the initial mouse lag with Opencore that wasn't apparent in Clover?

Last edited: