Contribute
Register

Testing Thread: Skylake Platform in OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Tony,

Thanks for all you do. I was wondering if you could elaborate on some of the details with the issues you mentioned earlier in this thread about the Gigabyte Z170X-UD5-TH as it is the board I am currently drawn to for my first build with the intention of making a relatively future proofed workstation for 4k video editing in Avid and Premiere. I know you said the onboard GFX was not working right, but I own an old 7970 card that I could use as a stopgap until I invest in a titan x or 980ti. Also, thinking of using an OWC Thunderbay 4 Raid for storage... Speaking of which, has anyone seen a Thunderbolt 3/USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 adapter yet to get the aforementioned working?

In the
Gigabyte Z170X-UD5-TH build you are testing, did Ethernet, USB 3.1, USB 3 or USB 2 ports work? Other issues I should be aware of? I know I'm diving in on a somewhat early adopter level here, but have been encouraged by some of the ASUS build successes in this thread, since I'd route my audio through an external soundcard and would use my old 7970 until the onboard graphics is less buggy.

Thinking of making the leap if there are some good Cyber Monday discounts to be had. Excited!

P.S.
For now not working ethernet, integrated graphics card (50/50), sound, USB3.1
So here my plan to fix the issues
1. Graphics - I bought Nvidia GTX 980
2. Ethernet - I made order of Azurewave Broadcom PCI-E module and I'm waiting the shipping from China (1-2 weeks I hope) , because I have WiFi only in my working room now
3. Sound - I'll use external USB sound card(lexicon alpha)

I'm not sure that everything will smoothly, but I hope that.

So good luck!
So I guess a different USB2 did the trick. My GTX 970 is having problem even with the Nvidia Web Driver w/ horizontal lines as such. So Im running on nv_disable=1 ; Ethernet isn't working, I am running on a cheap WiFi dongle from Amazon.com, seems to work fine w/ a few research here and there. As for audio, I am also using an external device called FiiO E10K, which I have used for almost all my devices. Works out of the box flawlessly. Bootloader and everything works smoothly. Just hoping to fix my Nvidia graphic card, very buggy atm. Hopefully you get yours soon and let me know whats up. Cheer!

Pike just released a patch today for the Intel Graphics Accelerator but the Frame Buffer might fail. Gonna test it later today :) Thanks Pike!

So I guess a different USB2 did the trick. My GTX 970 is having problem even with the Nvidia Web Driver w/ horizontal lines as such. So Im running on nv_disable=1 ;... Just hoping to fix my Nvidia graphic card, very buggy atm.

Did you try to boot with nvda_drv=1?

Pike just released a patch today for the Intel Graphics Accelerator but the Frame Buffer might fail. Gonna test it later today :) Thanks Pike!

Link? :)

https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/ here you go. Also , may I have your /EFI/CLOVER folder please :p? I've lost my USB drive and I cant boot to OS X without it (I forgot to install the new version on my HDD...)

I tried all the different USB ports with no luck. Tried using unibeast with a USB sata drive on my other machine and then booting it from the sata port on new machine with no change still either gives the denied circle or restarts the machine. I did re-verify all the BIOS settings. I have not had a lot of time to work on it so i'll keep trying, thanks for all the help....

Don't forget to make backup))

Thanks! Apparently , my PC doesn't boot with that patch. Boots without it tho.
Edit: Nevermind , booted.
Edit2: I think acceleration works. Artifacts like hell tho.

Did you try to boot with nvda_drv=1?
Yeah, but for some reason, it boot up with tons of horizonal lines of green, blue, red, etc. So I went into the config and changed the Graphics in Clover, and uncheck InjectNvida. After that it boots up fine and I edit my config. I have the Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 Reference model.

First and foremost, Pike is home and recovering! Secondly, he released a patch for the Intel HD Graphics 530 today that supposedly forces the Intel Accelerator to load but the frame buffer may fail.

I have two monitors set up to my system via HDMI and DVI. In my starting state, I had only inject intel=true for graphics. It works well enough to use. The display jitters and it's possible to watch videos but isn't pleasant. I don't have dual displays, only mirrored, with no detection of the two displays. In fact, the display size it detects is completely wrong. About this Mac reports 7MB VRAM for the graphics. F.lux has no impact.

A post in the H170N-WIFI guide led me to input ig-platform-id = 0x19120000. This was a mistake (for my hardware). Upon booting, the screens were completely unusable with artifacts and flickering (frame buffer?). However, it appear that f.lux was working with this new setting on the HDMI monitor. Picture of what it looks like is attached

I undid the ig-platform-id and got back to the original state. I inserted Pike's patch and there is no visible difference from the original state.

I don't know if the f.lux info gives any clues as to what is working and what isn't. Since Pike's patch supposedly activates graphics acceleration and I saw no difference, does that mean I had graphics acceleration from the beginning? Can I test if it's working properly?

If acceleration is not working, is this why my displays aren't being detected properly?

Attachments

• 2015-11-18 18.13.45.jpg
    2015-11-18 18.13.45.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back