Contribute
Register

Testing Thread: Skylake Platform in OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.
I updated to the newer Non beta BIOS with no change, still get the denied circle/slash. If in verbose mode dies at Bluetooth even with the blue tooth dongle used in my other to machines disconnected. It surprises me a bit that others can get this board to at least run the installer with basically the same setup. Using the config.plist with the 1-3 fixes I would expect to at least get to the installer.

Here are some more things you can try.

* Load optimized defaults, then make sure you've set these bios settings:

• In BIOS Features:
    • Fast Boot: Disabled
    • VT-d: Disabled
    • Windows 8/10 Features: Other OS
    • LAN PXE Boot Option ROM: Disabled
    • Storage Boot Option Contro: UEFI Only
    • Network Stack: Disabled
  • In Peripherals:
    • Initial Display Output: PCIe 1 Slot (if graphics card installed) or IGFX (otherwise)
    • XHCI Hand-off: Enabled
  • In Chipset:
    • VT-d: Disabled

* Also make sure to disable the onboard serial port.

* Try with nv_disable=1, with IGFX enabled. The IGFX is fine for the installer.

* Try using a SATA device for the installer (see here).

* Try booting with the USB drive in different USB ports. Some ports will likely not be working on first boot.

* Try booting with the USB Bluetooth dongle in different USB ports. Same as above, sometimes the installer won't boot without Bluetooth.

* Use a USB 2.0 only disk when trying USB 3.0 ports. The USB 2.0 hub may be enabled where the 3.0 hub isn't. To the system a USB 3.0 port looks like 2 ports, 1x usb2 and 1x usb3.

If someone with that board (Z170X-UD5 TH) could post an updated USB injector it would probably solve your problems pretty fast.

Thanks for the quick response, I will reverify the BIOS settings and proceed with your suggestions.

I will check when I get home, quick look at the gigabyte site shows F3 as current and no betas at least on the download page. I think mine is already at F3, will check. Thanks !

My Z170X-UD5 TH had F2, and I flashed it to F3 – now it boots.
But I have severe graphics problems with Intel 530, and with my ASUS GTX 750 the graphics work only on "7 MB" ...

Hey Tony,

Thanks for all you do. I was wondering if you could elaborate on some of the details with the issues you mentioned earlier in this thread about the Gigabyte Z170X-UD5-TH as it is the board I am currently drawn to for my first build with the intention of making a relatively future proofed workstation for 4k video editing in Avid and Premiere. I know you said the onboard GFX was not working right, but I own an old 7970 card that I could use as a stopgap until I invest in a titan x or 980ti. Also, thinking of using an OWC Thunderbay 4 Raid for storage... Speaking of which, has anyone seen a Thunderbolt 3/USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 adapter yet to get the aforementioned working?

In the
Gigabyte Z170X-UD5-TH build you are testing, did Ethernet, USB 3.1, USB 3 or USB 2 ports work? Other issues I should be aware of? I know I'm diving in on a somewhat early adopter level here, but have been encouraged by some of the ASUS build successes in this thread, since I'd route my audio through an external soundcard and would use my old 7970 until the onboard graphics is less buggy.

Thinking of making the leap if there are some good Cyber Monday discounts to be had. Excited!

P.S.
For now not working ethernet, integrated graphics card (50/50), sound, USB3.1
So here my plan to fix the issues
1. Graphics - I bought Nvidia GTX 980
2. Ethernet - I made order of Azurewave Broadcom PCI-E module and I'm waiting the shipping from China (1-2 weeks I hope) , because I have WiFi only in my working room now
3. Sound - I'll use external USB sound card(lexicon alpha)

I'm not sure that everything will smoothly, but I hope that.

So good luck!
So I guess a different USB2 did the trick. My GTX 970 is having problem even with the Nvidia Web Driver w/ horizontal lines as such. So Im running on nv_disable=1 ; Ethernet isn't working, I am running on a cheap WiFi dongle from Amazon.com, seems to work fine w/ a few research here and there. As for audio, I am also using an external device called FiiO E10K, which I have used for almost all my devices. Works out of the box flawlessly. Bootloader and everything works smoothly. Just hoping to fix my Nvidia graphic card, very buggy atm. Hopefully you get yours soon and let me know whats up. Cheer!

Pike just released a patch today for the Intel Graphics Accelerator but the Frame Buffer might fail. Gonna test it later today :) Thanks Pike!

So I guess a different USB2 did the trick. My GTX 970 is having problem even with the Nvidia Web Driver w/ horizontal lines as such. So Im running on nv_disable=1 ;... Just hoping to fix my Nvidia graphic card, very buggy atm.

Did you try to boot with nvda_drv=1?

Pike just released a patch today for the Intel Graphics Accelerator but the Frame Buffer might fail. Gonna test it later today :) Thanks Pike!

Link? :)

https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/ here you go. Also , may I have your /EFI/CLOVER folder please :p? I've lost my USB drive and I cant boot to OS X without it (I forgot to install the new version on my HDD...)

I tried all the different USB ports with no luck. Tried using unibeast with a USB sata drive on my other machine and then booting it from the sata port on new machine with no change still either gives the denied circle or restarts the machine. I did re-verify all the BIOS settings. I have not had a lot of time to work on it so i'll keep trying, thanks for all the help....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back