Contribute
Register

Testing Thread: Skylake Platform in OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you could talk me through or point me in the right direction as to how to do this, i'd really appreciate it.

I've read loads of reports that no one can get NVMe working on hacks yet :( seems apple's version of NVMe is different.

EDIT: Also, thanks for your response Tony, very useful

could be but according to pike i presume its also an SMBios problem, most likely we have to inject some of the listed devices to get nvme support, or fake the fact that we have an Apple SSD instead of a Samsung afaik there is a check from apple for that. I think not all SMBios versions will work with NVME oob.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/desktop-compatibility/177834-m-2-samsung-950-pro-ssd-nvme.html#post1145974

janmunich - please share the detail process that you used to patch your bios. And the process used to re-flash your bios.

Good modding,
neil

If running an ASUS z170, on older BIOS versions, under Advanced > PCH Configuration > IOAPIC 24-119 entries, this feature can be manually disabled. However, on the z170 Deluxe, ASUS has hidden the feature in BIOS versions after 0901, and it's probably set to enabled now by default, so that's where the patch would come in handy.

I was able to flash back to version 0901 using the BIOS tool. Just make sure not to turn off your system until it's complete.

If running an ASUS z170, on older BIOS versions, under Advanced > PCH Configuration > IOAPIC 24-119 entries, this feature can be manually disabled. However, on the z170 Deluxe, ASUS has hidden the feature in BIOS versions after 0901, and it's probably set to enabled now by default, so that's where the patch would come in handy.

I was able to flash back to version 0901 using the BIOS tool. Just make sure not to turn off your system until it's complete.

Well I am on the ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming which now has 4 BIOS versions on the ASUS support web site. I have download each and checked them with the tool AMIBCP.exe (in WIN 10) to see if the state of the IOAPC 24-119 entry is "USER" useable... and none are. So I created a patched version of the 403 version using AMIBCP per instructions that I found on IM. However, the ASUS bios onboard flashing tools sees that the file has been modified and excludes it with a message "file not a UEFI bios" or such.

Anyway, the reason to push on this is that with the patches to Clover and El Capitan 10.11.1 the system is far from be useable... For instance I only have the boot SATA drive showing in the file system! While the USB support is iffy at best and on and on...

Luckily this is a hobby and I can wait around for an OS X that works with SkyLake PCs.

Good modding,
neil

beelzebozo I would like to download that bios and examine it with the AMIBCP tool. Which ASUS motherboard model number do you have?

Thank you,
neil

beelzebozo I would like to download that bios and examine it with the AMIBCP tool. Which ASUS motherboard model number do you have?

Thank you,
neil

ASUS z170-DELUXE.

Thank you,
neil

why do you want to patch your bios at all - when you can add a single line via clover configurator to clover?

I guess in 2 weeks at latest you can reflash everything since the manufacturers start to roll out bios versions to support newest samsung 950 pro ssds etc..

The bios patch won't help you in setting up your usb and graphics properly.. my 2 cents..

edith:
i just reflashed my bios to stock and the patch works fine, so kudos to pike for finding a clean sw solution.

why do you want to patch your bios at all - when you can add a single line via clover configurator to clover?

I guess in 2 weeks at latest you can reflash everything since the manufacturers start to roll out bios versions to support newest samsung 950 pro ssds etc..

The bios patch won't help you in setting up your usb and graphics properly.. my 2 cents..

edith:
i just reflashed my bios to stock and the patch works fine, so kudos to pike for finding a clean sw solution.

I have El Capitan booting from the SM951 without the patches.

I have all tried all flavors of patches (including Pike R Alpha's) and have El Capitan running but not in a fashion that you would be proud to show a friend.

What I don't have is the bios with the ability to disable the fabled "IOAPC 24-119".

I would really like to see the impact of that one change. Does everything get well? No one with that BIOS has put up visual evidence that it make a difference.

Good modding,
neil

I have El Capitan booting from the SM951 without the patches.

I have all tried all flavors of patches (including Pike R Alpha's) and have El Capitan running but not in a fashion that you would be proud to show a friend.

What I don't have is the bios with the ability to disable the fabled "IOAPC 24-119".

I would really like to see the impact of that one change. Does everything get well? No one with that BIOS has put up visual evidence that it make a difference.

Good modding,
neil

Till yesterday I had my bios patched with MSR unlock and IOAPIC now is switched to KernelPM patch and Pikes Fix - and its exactly alike. + I can update my bios as soon as better NVME support comes available.

Hi again!

Thanks for your advices. Thanks janmunich! I put USBInjectAll kext to clover and this resolve the bootload for now. Thanks. But.. I remember I am loser.) Integrated graphics has artefacts, sound card and ethernet also not working yet. I will continue to read the posts and guideline.
Really currently is imposible normal using of system) but I happy. Next goal - fix issues and buy normal graphics card

Hi again!

Thanks for your advices. Thanks janmunich! I put USBInjectAll kext to clover and this resolve the bootload for now. Thanks. But.. I remember I am loser.) Integrated graphics has artefacts, sound card and ethernet also not working yet. I will continue to read the posts and guideline.
Really currently is imposible normal using of system) but I happy. Next goal - fix issues and buy normal graphics card

you can try to change the ram size for internal graphics sometimes that helps dealing with artifacts. (bios)

start with fixing your usb ports by creating a port mapping for your SMBios. many problems still come from wrong mappings of XHC.

use IORegistryExplorer and plugin usb-sticks to all your ports and note down the different devices e.g.

HS1 HSX HSY

this should give you a list of actual physical ports.
afterwards you have to modify the IOUSBHostFamily.kext -> Contents -> Plugins -> AppleUSBXHCIPCI
to map your ports accordingly.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back