Contribute
Register

Testing Thread: Skylake Platform in OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,
I build up a new pc for myself and was hoping to get OSX running on it. All of my hardware is pretty new and maybe that's the problem :problem:

CPU: Skylake i7-6700k
MB: GA-Z170X-Gaming G1
RAM: 16GB (2x8) G.Skil Ripclaw V
GC: Gigabyte 980 GTX
HDD: Samsung MZ-V5P512BW 512 GB

I prepared my USB stick on my Macbook. I currently run Yosemite and have downloaded the El Capitan setup. I think it's still 10.11.0 since I haven't installed it yet.

I edited my BIOS settings as suggested here and inserted the stick in a USB 2 slot.

I also tried nv_disable=1 as boot option and the updated config.plist which was posted here.

Every time I select to boot OSX I immediately get a black screen with a stop sign.

I already red some threads about that topic but couldn't find a solution.

Is it possible my problems results from to old El Capitan version? If yes how can I get the 10.11.2 Beta download if I still run Yosemite?

Attachments

• IMG_4838.jpg
    IMG_4838.jpg
    550 KB · Views: 105
You'll need to delete the OS X El Capitan app from your Macbook and download again. Then, redo your UniBeast installer.

I posted a detailed guide on the H170N-WIFI. My first time through was on integrated graphics, but I plan to update it with notes for an Nvidia card as well.

Burpethead: The H170N-WIFI and Z170N-WIFI are both also Mini-ITX boards with a vertical m.2 WiFi/Bluetooth slot, FWIW.

ammulder just a slight misunderstanding - my ASRock board mentioned has a vertical Mini PCI-Express. NOT M.2. The boards you mentioned have M.2 Slots and not the older Mini PCI-Express slot. Unless I am mistaken there are no native M.2 Wifi cards. The Apple Broadcom card will only work in Mini PCI-Express with an adapter, not M.2.

I posted a detailed guide on the H170N-WIFI. My first time through was on integrated graphics, but I plan to update it with notes for an Nvidia card as well.

Burpethead: The H170N-WIFI and Z170N-WIFI are both also Mini-ITX boards with a vertical m.2 WiFi/Bluetooth slot, FWIW.

Is the i211 working reliably for you with AppleIGB.kext? I have a Z170X-UD5 and the i211 stops working after ~10 minutes. Also after a couple reboots that kext starts crashing during boot and I have to remove it.

You'll need to delete the OS X El Capitan app from your Macbook and download again. Then, redo your UniBeast installer.

Ok I made it to get to the setup screen.

The problem now is that my SSD is not recognised by OSX setup.
My dive is attached via M.2 connector and not SATA.

Could that be the reason?

The latest I think is that m.2 SATA and ACHI drives work, but NVMe drives are not seen by OS X. I have been able to install to a PCIe x4 drive. I can try an m.2 SATA drive later.

Is the i211 working reliably for you with AppleIGB.kext? I have a Z170X-UD5 and the i211 stops working after ~10 minutes. Also after a couple reboots that kext starts crashing during boot and I have to remove it.

Well, the first time I tried it I had a lot of trouble and ended up removing it. But I have gone through a thousand configurations, beta and not, and I can't convince myself that it wasn't something I did.

When I redid everything to test my guide, it worked without any crashes. I was pleasantly surprised. But I haven't used it extensively yet, so we'll see.

The latest I think is that m.2 SATA and ACHI drives work, but NVMe drives are not seen by OS X. I have been able to install to a PCIe x4 drive. I can try an m.2 SATA drive later.

Ah okay. Thanks for info! So it's prob easier to use some SATA connected SSD?

Ah okay. Thanks for info! So it's prob easier to use some SATA connected SSD?

well m.2 should work OOB if its an AHCI device.
can you verify that you don't have an AHCI?

im currently working on a nvme patch / driver to get even the mvne drives detected lets see how this goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back