Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

After much configuration and appreciated help from this site, I have a (mostly) functioning Hackintosh. One persistent problem I haven't been able to solve after searching the forums is seemingly random system freezes.

The system freezes completely and no matter what programs are running. Sometimes it will boot and run beautifully for an hour or more, sometimes five minutes. It doesn't matter whether the system is under load or performing graphically-intense tasks, it spontaneously freezes and requires a power button hold to shut down completely; the reset button is non-responsive. No entry is generated in the system log and everything resumes where it crashed on reboot.

I have tried my RAM in different slots and have re-installed the Mountain Lion to no avail. I had a theory my Bluetooth adapter might be to blame but it seems not. The same hardware performs flawlessly under Windows 7 on dual boot. Any insights will be gratefully received.

Hardware:

Asus P8Z77-V LK
Intel Core i7 3770 3.4 GHz
16 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
240 GB Intel 520 SSD
3 TB Seagate 7200 RPM HDD
Intel HD 4000 graphics
Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 6770 1GB (non-functional under OS X, used with Lucid under Windows 7)
TP-Link TL-WDN4800 Wi-Fi adapter

After testing an old Seagate 200 GB hard disk from a disassembled machine (which works flawlessly, no freezes yet) it seems the problem lies with the SSD.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? I'm hoping it's a dual boot issue as Windows 7 works fine from the SSD. It was re-partitioned before the re-install of both operating systems, so the solution may be to purchase a second SSD and dual boot from individual drives.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

I'm definitely a n00b, but...

SSD Firmware Update? Relevant search @ Intel:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sea...m,+MLC)&ProdId=3473&LineId=3014&FamilyId=3124

Try using other SATA ports for SSD?

I'm about to go hackintosh on a similar machine -- same mobo, i5-3570k CPU, Crucial M4 128GB SSD ... But I think I'm gonna use the SSD only for the Win7 install, & some production software & games ... and install OS X on the 1TB drive. But if I had a 240 SSD, I would totally dualboot on it. SSD SO FAST...

good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion, but there have been developments...

After nearly throwing the entire machine at the wall out of sheer frustration, I purchased a Samsung 840 Pro SSD to use for Mountain Lion, keeping the Intel drive for Windows 7 (since it had been playing nicely). The Samsung worked beautifully and the heavens sang. Windows 7 then began to lock up on the Intel drive, so I swapped the SATA III connections over and behold, it worked again!

It seems the first SATA III port was faulty at full speed, but functioned fine at SATA II speeds. This explains how the old Seagate drive was able to run without fault. After damaging the CPU socket trying to re-insert the cover prior to returning the motherboard, I invalidated the warranty and was given a quote of $70 to repair the bent pins. At this point, I was beyond caring and simply ended up buying another board of the same model. You'll be heartened to know it works and everything is lovely. I have a dual booting system on separate SSDs that is so fast it makes my eyes bleed and everything works, save for iMessage (seems everyone's the same).

Feel free to ask me any questions when the time comes to set up your system as I consider myself expert on this configuration, having built and re-built it many times over the last three or so weeks. It is worth it in the end but you do need your patience.

i have same system freeze problem.whenever i plug external hard disk or usb drive to usb3 or 2, system hand and didn't show anything else.
i have no idea why i get this problem. could i use some help

i have same system freeze problem.whenever i plug external hard disk or usb drive to usb3 or 2, system hand and didn't show anything else.
i have no idea why i get this problem. could i use some help

Have you set your USB ports to EHCI and xHCI enabled in the BIOS?

Did you use a DSDT or DSDT-free installation in MultiBeast?

no, didnt work. i test with enable. and auto and smart auto. i also use a DSDT or DSDT-free installation in MultiBeast; do u know where i can find log of this issue

no, didnt work. i test with enable. and auto and smart auto. i also use a DSDT or DSDT-free installation in MultiBeast; do u know where i can find log of this issue

No, only in the Console.

When you used MultiBeast, which drivers did you install? Also, when I upgraded from 10.8 to 10.8.2 I had to re-install a couple of old kexts to prevent kernel panics on boot, did you do that?

I didn't read through the entire thread as I'm at work right now, I've been having similar issue I have an ssd which is into 2 partitions 1 for main boot and another as a backup when things go wrong, as this is my first hakintosh :). After changing the the ram timings from auto to manual setting (10-10-10-27)and correct speed (1600MHZ) and changing settings here in there in the bios my system is much more stable, I usually run GeekBench and open up a few programs to run at the same time been testing for the past 3 hours with new setting no issues yet, except I put 1.5v for the ram bios accepts the change but when i boot into ML it runs at 1.0v. So far I have hdmi audio on a Gtx 650 ti, that's what I needed the most like i have it hooked up to a 32 inch samsung led hdtv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back