Contribute
Register

Super slow BIOS load; unrecognized installation SSD (I'll explain)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Gaming 5 z97
CPU
Intel i7 4970k
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Okay, I'm running OS X 10.10.3 (Yosemite) with a Clover boot loader (dual boot w/ Windows 8.1). I'm on a MSI Gaming 5 mobo (z97) and an i7 4790k. The following just happened to me...
>>Left computer idling for about 3 hours - I do NOT let my mac go to sleep
>>Came back, iTunes crashed, system became super laggy
>>Had to resort to a system reset because no shut down options were working
>>On reboot, it took 15(!) seconds to load the BIOS screen where you can enter del or F11
>>The ENTIRE SSD that Yosemite is installed on, along with UEFI, was not recognized (which makes sense since the EFI is on that SSD).

I booted in windows, and even that took about 5 times longer than it should have. The disk manager on Windows did not see the SSD either.
I did a full shutdown, and everything was back to normal....

Any ideas on why this happened? My system is working completely fine, but I had quite the freakout, and I'd appreciate a better understanding of why this happened.

Okay, I'm running OS X 10.10.3 (Yosemite) with a Clover boot loader (dual boot w/ Windows 8.1). I'm on a MSI Gaming 5 mobo (z97) and an i7 4790k. The following just happened to me...
>>Left computer idling for about 3 hours - I do NOT let my mac go to sleep
>>Came back, iTunes crashed, system became super laggy
>>Had to resort to a system reset because no shut down options were working
>>On reboot, it took 15(!) seconds to load the BIOS screen where you can enter del or F11
>>The ENTIRE SSD that Yosemite is installed on, along with UEFI, was not recognized (which makes sense since the EFI is on that SSD).

I booted in windows, and even that took about 5 times longer than it should have. The disk manager on Windows did not see the SSD either.
I did a full shutdown, and everything was back to normal....

Any ideas on why this happened? My system is working completely fine, but I had quite the freakout, and I'd appreciate a better understanding of why this happened.

I suspect your SSD is failing...I would make sure I have a good backup of it (which you should anyway) and start planning how you're going to replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back