Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] ThinkServer TS140 - i3 4330 - HD4600 - Yosemite - Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
upgraded to El Capitian per your instructions....worked flawless....then to 11.4....no brainer all things work...sound ..etc....Thanks Pilgrim!!

upgraded to El Capitian per your instructions....worked flawless....then to 11.4....no brainer all things work...sound ..etc....Thanks Pilgrim!!

Thanks - Good to know it all worked out for you too.

Due to needing a minimum of 10.10 to run some apps, I decided to try out a fresh install of El Capitan. I stumbled into a few problems, link to another thread as this may be off-topic.

Sorry to see that you are having problems.

Since I published my ThinkServer build document I have made several changes, mainly :
I replaced the i3-4330 CPU with a Xeon E3-1245 v3.
I currently have a GeForce GT 740 graphics card installed.
I am using USB audio.
I changed the Clover installation from Legacy to UEFI.
I have upgraded the OS to 10.11.4.

In your situation I would try a fresh install with the config.plist from Post #32.
I used it for a test installation and another user confirmed that it worked for him, too.

In Post #39 @Tsur mentions an audio solution although i have not tested it.
In Post #72 @roger1994 reports audio success with VoodooHDA-2.8.8 (available in MultiBeast).

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think if you replace the power supply with a New one that supports Sleep/Wake will work?

What I mean is Will Sleep/Wake work after replacement?

I think that the reason for it not sleeping is because it is designed as a server and servers do not sleep.
The issue is most likely with the BIOS not the power supply.

I think that the reason for it not sleeping is because it is designed as a server and servers do not sleep.
The issue is most likely with the BIOS not the power supply.
P1LGRIM is correct. TS140 does not have S3/S4 enabled in its BIOS. Can't do much about it.

In regards to my El Capitan fresh install, P1LGRIM, just wanting to you know, I tried the config.plist you mentioned and it works. VoodooHDA-2.8.8 also works. I redid the whole installation based on your guide (using the same serials generated from previous Mavericks installation) and everything went well. I'm actually very happy with El Capitan so far. Thank you!

VoodooHDA seems to reset its settings after restart, which gets annoying because I need to lower its input gain. This had been addressed in an old thread, but I haven't gotten around to try the solution yet.

Another weird thing is that due to the config.list having the rig identity as Power Mac, Finder shows my device with a Power Mac icon instead of iMac (even after I configured clover to register the device as iMac successfully). It's a very minor problem, but do you know how to change device icon in finder's sidebar?

Another weird thing is that due to the config.list having the rig identity as Power Mac, Finder shows my device with a Power Mac icon instead of iMac (even after I configured clover to register the device as iMac successfully). It's a very minor problem, but do you know how to change device icon in finder's sidebar?

Strangely enough there has been a fair bit of correspondence on this subject lately - Use Search for more info.

I think that the easiest way around it is to modify the install config.plist to the system definition that you want (iMac) before you start your installation.

In fact you can populate all of the SMBIOS and Rt Variables information in the install config.plist if you have it, prior to the installation. The config.plist supplied is just a generic one to enable most people to install.

Once again thanks for the feedback - It's good to see it's all working out ok for you.

Edit :
You can find the sidebar icons at:
/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources

VoodooHDA seems to reset its settings after restart, which gets annoying because I need to lower its input gain. This had been addressed in an old thread, but I haven't gotten around to try the solution yet.
Just minor update. I have edited info.plist inside voodoohda.kext, reinstalled the kext (as per the instruction from the link) and confirmed that it works.

Another problem came up. I found out that my USB3 devices won't get recognised (also known problem, due to El Capitan handling USB3 differently). Guess what? P1LGRIM to the rescue again! For those who has the same problem, let me refer you to his post. Essentially, you just need to install FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext from RehabMan's FakePCIID (special thanks RehabMan!!!).

I was able to install El Capitan directly, but only after copying the /EFI/CLOVER contents to the EFI Partition. The second-round Clover installation (to the boot SSD) was not successful using the settings posted here. Attempting to boot from the SSD without the El Capitan USB resulted in a boot loop or other errors.

Some other notes:

I had no success using Super Speed ports using a USB 3.0 128GB thumb drive. I used the USB 2.0 ports in the back.

Using an MSI 750ti, works perfectly.

Will be getting a new network card - the previously mentioned BT4.0/802.11ac - from china. Hoping to complete the build.

Thanks for the guide!

P1LGRIM how did you do the sierra upgrade...mine is setup as macpro 3,1...wont let me do it...what do i need to do?...thanks much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back