Contribute
Register

[Success] Sabertooth Z77, i7-3770K, GTX 680, El Capitan

Status
Not open for further replies.
[success] Sabertooth z77, i7 3770K, GTX 680, Mountain Lion

Very Nice, im actually about to upgrade to GTX 680 shortly, so cool beans.
Running 10.8 flawlessly since launch.

Glad my guide helped you out!! :)

@tcresien: Sorry for my late answer. I know, this particular set of RAM is not mentioned in the compatibility list of the sabertooth mainboard. But many other Corsair RAM modules are and they are also mentioned in tonymacx86 buyers guide. In fact they're working flawlessly and are also properly recognized now as you can see below. Before I set up the osx system I updated the bios and this somehow set the RAM speed to 1333Mhz. Didn't see that when I made this guide afterwards. I simply had to reset it to 1600Mhz. It now runs slightly overclocked at 1672Mhz without any problems. I would buy it again. Also because of its good price. Low Profile DIMMs can be quite expensive. This isn't the case here. Thank you for mentioning this issue. I will see if I update the pictures. EDIT: I just did so.
system.jpg

@vkfresh: Yes you really helped me! :thumbup: My guide is mainly based on yours, so again thank you very much! :)

Any luck updating to 10.8.2, I tried to do an update via App Store from 10.8, and now im hanging at Apple Logo without ability to boot into -x

Solved my own problem.

On another computer downloaded the AppleACPIPlatform.kext from this post http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/72956-10-8-2-problem.html to the root directory of my Unibeast Flash Drive which was labeled "USB"

Booted up with USB Drive and hit up the terminal.

created a temp folder in my OSX Volume which is named Mac OS (in terminal use * for space)

cd /Volumes/Mac*OS
mkdir Temp

then copy the existing AppleACPIPlatform.kext to the temp folder to back it up

cp -r /Volumes/Mac*OS/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext /Volumes/Mac*OS/Temp/

then remove the original kext from S/L/E after you copied it to Temp folder.

rm -r /Volumes/Mac*OS/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext

then copy the kext from your USB drive to S/L/E

cp -r /Volumes/USB/AppleACPIPlatform.kext /Volumes/Mac*OS/System/Library/Extensions/

Done!!

type exit

Restart your rig.

Enjoy.

Great new guide! I didn't update to 10.8.2 so far. I didn't think that it was nessesary somehow and I didn't want to run into problems. Never touch a running system. :) But now that you can confirm a smooth and safe installation I think I will also update soon.

Thank you!

Downloaded the combo update.

I had to remove other kexts Nvidia, and other FakeSMC plugin kexts, HWmonitor also that were in the way but besides that I had copied all the kext from 10.8.1 into another folder on my desktop.

After, installed the update, then before you restart, remove AppleACPIPlatform.kext, (had to remove this also, AppleHDA.kext, this had caused me problems lost audio and other booting errors)

Then install them again from the copy from 10.8.1 folder on the desktop (used Kext Utility) Repair permissions and rebuild cache.

I can't remember if I copied the other audio kexts or not...but I was using the Multibeast Lion version for audio since Mountain Lion was messing up and wouldn't allow me to boot.
I removed this nullcpupowermanagement.kext also but I am running a patched bios and running a native AppleCPUPowermanagement.kext.

I am getting a slightly higher Geekbench score ~14350 or so (sorry its off the top of my head, currently in Windows) Currently finding it very stable.

I just installed the combo update and 5 minutes later I had a nearly perfectly running 10.8.2! No issues with restart or the general system!

The only thing I had to do was reinstalling the ALC892 audio driver from the latest multibeast (section non-DSDT), because the normal line out of my motherboard wasn't detected. After restart the sound worked.

EDIT: Also updated the Geekbench results in my initial post. Its 400 points higher than it had been in 10.8.0. It now also shows the speed of my RAM correctly.

You have to reinstall the audio after each OS X update. Kinda standard procedure.

Don't forget to Repair Permissions (Disk Utility) before and after the update which is what us Macintosh owners have been doing since 10.0.0 to keep problems from occurring. :thumbup:

Repairing Permissions! Yes! I've must have done it a thousand times by now. :D Although I believe that back in the days with 10.4 Tiger it was more essential then it is today. I remember that one time the success of the whole installation process was depending on repairing permission before one specific restart.

I even forgot to do it this time and after one week hadn't had any problems with 10.8.2 by now. Will do it right now, just to be safe. :)

How much did you spend in total?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back