Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Vosster's Build:
i7-3770K - ASUS Sabertooth z77 - 680 GTX

27978,vossterssystem2VHGJC.jpg

Components

Apple OS X Yosemite @ Mac Apps Store
https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/os-x-yosemite/id915041082?l=en&mt=12

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 TUF Series Motherboard on Intel Z77 Platform z77 ATX DDR3 1600 Intel - LGA 1155 Motherboard
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007RIFKUS/

Palit Jetstream NVIDIA GF GTX680 Grafikkarte (PCI-e, 2GB GDDR5 Speicher, 2x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, 1 GPU)
[AMAZON-de]http://www.amazon.de/dp/B007TGB1DS/?tag=tonymacx8603-21

Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 6 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637I73770K
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007SZ0EOW/

Corsair 16 GB Vengeance Low Profile 1600mhz PC3-12800 240-pin Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit 16 Dual Channel Kit - CML16GX3M4A1600C9
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058J1QII/

Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe with 140mm/120mm Dual SSO Bearing Fans CPU Cooler NH-D1
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VKVZ1A/

Corsair Force GT 180 GB SATA III/6G SATA 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive - CSSD-F180GBGT-BK
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005JRH9WQ/

Western Digital Caviar Green 2 TB Desktop Hard Drive WD20EARX
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VFJ9MK/

LG WH12LS38K 12X Internal SATA Blu-Ray/DVD Burner with Lightscribe Support Writer/Drive
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005GWAWZA/

be quiet! Dark Power Pro P9 850W ATX 2.3
[AMAZON-de]http://www.amazon.de/dp/B0049HJ96G/?tag=tonymacx8603-21

Corsair CC650DW Obsidian 650D Aluminum Mid Tower ATX Enthusiast Computer Case - Black
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004IYCK52/

Comments

This was actually my first Hackintosh build since 10.4 Tiger! Many things have changed and have become easier. But at the end you always need a good community like tonymacx86 for research and help. Thanks to all who contributed! :clap: Started here with 10.8 Mountain Lion and managed to continually update my system as well as this thread up to 10.11 El Capitan. Many people found answers in this thread, so I will continue keeping it up to date for anyone to be a potential source of help.

Build Description for a clean install of El Capitan (10.11.4)

1. Follow the steps of tonymacx86's guide exactly: UniBeast: Install OS X El Capitan on Any Supported Intel-based PC. Use standard BIOS settings. If you have trouble with mouse and keyboard recognition during the installation process, switch both to the USB3 ports. Only one pair of USB3 ports will work during setup!​
2. Boot the system from USB. Use one of the two working USB3 ports if you have trouble finding the USB stick.​
3. Run MultiBeast for El Capitan with these settings:​
97017,multibeastelcapitan9I2B0.jpg
4. Note that the system definitions (SMBios) is iMac 13,1! If you use Mac Pro of any kind your USB2 and/or USB3 ports won't be recognized!.​

Build Description for a clean install of Yosemite (10.10)

1. Follow the steps of tonymacx86's guide exactly: UniBeast: Install OS X Yosemite on Any Supported Intel-based PC. Use standard BIOS settings.​
2. Boot the system normally. If you run into trouble i.e. the "can't find mach_kernel" -problem boot with:​
Code:
/System/Library/Kernels/kernel
as boot flag. (Tap the space bar while your Yosemite installation is highlighted in the Chameleon bootloader to reach the command prompt)​
3. Run MultiBeast for Yosemite (7.0 here) with these settings:​
72741,multibeastyosemiteVO7B9.jpg
4. Go to /System/Library/Extensions, delete AppleIntelPowerManagement.kext if existing and make sure NullPCPowermanagement.kext is listed there. Note that in previous versions of OSX this had to be the other way around. Yosemite on the other hand crashes while booting up if AppleIntelManagement.kext is installed.​
5. Repair Disk Permissions in Disk Utility and reboot.​

Build Description for a clean install of Mavericks (10.9.4)

1. Follow Steps 1-4 of tonymacx86's guide exactly: UniBeast: Install OS X Mavericks on Any Supported Intel-based PC. Use standard BIOS settings.​
2. Boot the system. No bootflags needed.​
3. Run Multibeast for Mavericks (6.3.1 here) with these settings:​
63247,multibeastmavericksXWXC4.jpg
Note that of course some options aren't imperative.​
4. Repair Disk Permissions in Disk Utility and reboot. Check No.20 in the build desciption history here above, if you have some sleep/wakeup issues with sound or usb-devices.​

History of this Build

The following steps describe how I managed to initially install 10.8 Mountain Lion on the selected hardware and updated it to the different versions up to 10.11 El Capitan.

1. Special thanks to the user vkfresh for his guide. It really helped to build and set up my system! (http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...ccess-asus-sabertooth-z77-i7-3770-gtx570.html) Installation via USB and unibeast for Mountain Lion (http://www.tonymacx86.com/61-unibea...untain-lion-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html), got into the installer without any problems or boot flags. It also wasn't necessary to change any Bios settings.​
2. Booting into system through USB. No boot flags needed when booting for the first time.​
3. Ran Multibeast Lion 4.6.1 as seen here.​
4. Deleted AppleIntelPowerManagement.kext and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from /System/Library/Extensions​
5. Installed a patched AppleIntelPowerManagement.kext for 10.8 using KextBeast. (You find the patched kext here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...appleintelcpupowermanagement-kext-10-8-a.html) Thanks to Mieze!​
6. Installed separately downloaded Chimera 1.11.0 Bootloader.​
7. Rebooted​
8. Ran into the notorious boot0 problem, which couldn't be solved by the usual "fdisk -e /dev/disk0sX, f X, w, q - Method" you find here:
. It took years to figure out that the Firmware of my WD Caviar Green somehow prevents this method to work. MacMan's guide solves this problem: http://www.tonymacx86.com/25-boot0-error-official-guide.html
9. Rebooted and ran into the notorious "White Screen of Death". Just needed to boot with the GraphicsEnabler=No flag. Worked. Later edited org.chameleon.Boot.plist found in /Extra by simply changing "Yes" to "No" just after the GraphicsEnabler entry. Apparently 10.8 has native Kepler support and you dont need the GraphicsEnabler anymore.​
10. Downloaded and installed the HWMonitor Package provided by kozlek (https://github.com/kozlek/HWSensors) to monitor the system temps. The HWMonitor app is not getting any temps a all, but iStat gets every temperature and fan speed of my system. (You can download iStat here: http://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/). Warning!: Do not install the NVClockX.kext when running Multibeast. This leads to a kernel panic at startup. The kext apparently doesn't work with newer nvidia cards. Instead use the NouveauSensors.kext that comes with kozleks package.​
11. Rebooted and everything worked well, accept from my Sharp Aquos LCD TV which is connected by HDMI-HDMI. It is recognized properly but the screen remains black. I guess I will get it to work soon.​
EDIT: The Sharp TV works! Apparently the HDMI output of the GTX680 will be regarded as the one for the first monitor and any DVI output as second monitor when making a clean install. Just switched cables extensively and at some point it worked.​
12. UPDATE: Updated to 10.8.2 using the combo update in mac app store. Restarted without any problem. System runs normal. I only had to reinstall the ALC892 audio driver from the latest multibeast, because the line out of my motherboard wasn't detected. After restart the sound and everything else worked.​
13. UPDATE: Updated to 10.8.3 using the combo update. Reinstalled audio kext as usual. Reenabled SSD Trim using Chameleon SSD Optimizer. Everything fine.​
14. UPDATE: Updated to 10.8.4 like done above.​
15. UPDATE/REINSTALLATION: Updated to 10.8.5 by reinstallation of the whole system. Neither the online softwareupdate nor the combo update worked, instead resulted in a kernel panic at startup. Wiped the disk and installed the system using the latest download of MountainLion from MacAppStore (10.8.5 is already integrated as you know) and the latest unibeast. In contrast to previous installations it was necessary to activate the Legacy Support option in Unibeast. Without it the USB device wasn't recognized as a bootable source by the BIOS. A strange and a new problem, took me a while to figure that out. Post installation was no problem and comparable with the steps explained here above. I just took advantage of the newly integrated Powermanagement replacement function of Multibeast instead of doing it manually. Now waiting for Maverick! :)
16. UPDATE: Did the 10.8.5 Supplemental Update via Mac App Store. No Problems.​
17. UPDATE: Updated to 10.9 via unibeast usb flash disk. Had problems with a clean install. It worked like a charm when performed like described underneath, I ended up with a perfectly stable system, but migrating programs and settings of my old system somehow corrupted it. Wasn't able to boot anymore. So this time I just overwrote the existing system in the OSX Setup. (Boot from USB stick, Selected disk with existing installation and clicked install.) Later updated to 10.9.1 via mac app store. Strangely I had to reinstall the ethernet driver and the audio driver as usual.​
18. UPDATE: Updated to 10.9.2 via Mac App Store. Works.​
19. UPDATE/REINSTALLATION: Had to make a clean install of 10.9.4. Using the Combo-Update or Appstore version wasn't successful and resulted in a kernel panic. I also got a kernel panic when I tried to migrate my old system to the new installation. Some kexts of the 10.9.2 system seem to disrupt the 10.9.4 system. One can view the multibeast settings I used for post-installation in the picture below.​
20. ADJUSTMENTS: A few tweaks I used to optimize my system...​
1. I always lost some USB devices after sleep/wakeup and had to re-plug them each time, so I did some research and found out, that disabling the PLL Acceleration in the BIOS fixes the problem. Strange, but okay.​
2. TRIM works with Multibeast 6.4.​
3. After sleep/wakeup I had no sound any more. Installed the audio driver from an older verison of Multibeast and it worked again. Apparently the audio drivers in Multibeast 6.3.1 don't work correctly. Multibeast 6.4 should also solve this problem by now.​
4. Disabled mouse-acceleration by executing "defaults write .GlobalPreferences com.apple.mouse.scaling -1" in Terminal (without ""). This works perfectly. One doesn't need a special program.​
21. UPDATE: to 10.10 Yosemite! Did the update method in Tonymacx86's guide. Had to boot via USB Stick with "/System/Library/Kernels/kernel" boot flag. Problems with AppleIntelPowermanagement.kext occurred during startup. Removed this kext and installed NullPCPowermangement.kext. This was the first time I had to do this. All systems before required the AppleIntelPowermangement.kext and at the same time the NullPCPowermanagement.kext had to be removed. Now its seems to have to be the other way around. Strange. Reinstallation of ethernet and audio drivers. Trim (still) works. Happy now. :)
22. UPDATE: to 10.10.1 via MacAppStore. New Sound and TRIM installation as usual. All fine.​
23. UPDATE: to 10.10.3 likewise.​
24. UPDATE: to 10.11 El Capitan and Clover!​
I installed Clover parallel to my existing Chimera Bootloader. Since Clover is UEFI and Chimera is Legacy they can coexist. In my config.plist I used dart=0 and kext-dev-mode=1. Also set BooterConfig to 0x28 and CsrActiveConfig to 0x3 as advised. In EFI/Clover/kexts/10.10 I have AppleIntelE1000e.kext for Ethernet, FakeSMC.kext and realtekALC.kext. Copied them over to the 10.11 folder. After making sure that clover runs perfectly I updated to El Capitan via MacAppStore. Ran into a boot-loop. Nothing booted even not the Unibeast-USB-Device. After two days I figured out, that I only had to delete Ev0reboot.kext from S/L/E. Did so via Terminal in Recovery Partition. Booted like a charm after that. Ran audio_cloverALC-110_v1.0j.command to enable audio. Still working on HDMI-Audio and iMessage support.​
25. REINSTALLATION: of El Capitan 10.11.4 using the lastest Multibeast. No Bootflags needed this time. Everything worked out of the box. Except USB2 and USB3 ports - had to change the SMBios to iMac 13,1. to let them be recognized properly.​
26. UPDATE: to 10.12 Sierra simply by using the AppStore. Really important was to copy all of the kexts in /Library/Extensions to EFI/Clover/kexts/other before booting into the temporary installation partition with "without kache", "verbose", "inject kexts" and "nvidia web drivers" boot flags. Everything as it was. No need to reinstall audio etc.. Still having problems with USB2 ports.​
27. ADJUSTMENTS USB-PROBLEM: After updating to macOS Sierra I finally adressed the USB problem since some ports didn't work from time to time.​
I only had to open my DSDT with MaciASL and changed the name of EHC1 and EHC2 to EH01 and EH02 as suggested. Did that with rehabman's skript in MaciASL. Then I put the edited DSDT to EFI/Clover/APCI/patched folder. Futhermore I deleted GenericUSBXHCI.kext, USBInjectAll.kext and FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext, which had been installed on previous tries, from /L/E, S/L/E and from EFI/Clover/kexts/other. Apparently my DSDT information regarding my ports are correct, so I didn't have to follow rehabmans instructions further and didn't build my own port injector etc.​
Now every USB2 port works ervertime and also the two USB3 ports on the backside. The two other USB3 ports on the backside do not work since they are from the ASMEDIA controller. Apparently there isn't a way yet to get them to work as well.​

Geekbench 32Bit results El Capitan:
97018,geekbenchelcapitanKL8ST.jpg

Geekbench 32Bit results Yosemite:
72780,geekbenchyosemiteY60SK.jpg

Geekbench 32Bit results Mavericks:
45034,geekbenchmavericksC0WQM.jpg

Geekbench 32Bit results Mountain Lion:
27977,geekbench100712TUTVL.jpg

Greetings from Munich, Germany!

EDIT1: 08/10/2012: Updated Geekbench results.
EDIT2: 09/01/2012: Edited 11. - HDMI works.
EDIT3: 10/07/2012: Added 12. - Update to 10.8.2. / Updated Geekbench results.
EDIT4: 03/19/2013: Added 13. - Update to 10.8.3.
EDIT5: 03/27/2013: Updated pictures.
EDIT6: 06/12/2013: Added 14.: - Update to 10.8.4.
EDIT7: 09/28/2013: Added 15.: - Reinstallation to 10.8.5
EDIT8: 10/07/2013: Added 16.: - Update to recent 10.8.5
EDIT9: 12/18/2013: Added 17.: - Update to 10.9.1
EDIT10: 12/19/2013: Modified Build Description, added Build Description and Geekbench results for Mavericks
EDIT11: 05/15/2014: Added 18. in Build Description History: Update to 10.9.2
EDIT12: 07/13/2014: Added 19. Reinstallation to 10.9.4, Updated Mavericks build description and multibeast picture.
EDIT13: 07/21/2014: Added 20. Adjustments.
EDIT14: 10/18/2014: Added Yosemite Build Description, Rearrangement of the threads topics, Added 21. Update to 10.10 Yosemite.
EDIT14: 10/19/2014: Added GeekBench results for 10.10 Yosemite.
EDIT15: 11/24/2014: Added 22. Update to 10.10.1
EDIT16: 05/14/2015: Added 23. Update to 10.10.3
EDIT17: 10/20/2015: Added 24. Update to El Capitan and Colver!
EDIT18: 04/26/2015: Added 25. El Capitan 10.11.4, Added Build Description for El Capitan and Geekbench Results.
EDIT19: 09/29/2016: Added 26. Update to Sierra.
EDIT20: 09/30/2016: Added 27. Adjustments USB Problem.

Last edited:
For hardware monitoring use the file that I have attached, during installation don't check on NVClock instead use NouveauSensors. You must delete the FakeSMC.kext first before installing this new FakeSMC.kext. Rebuild the kernel cache before pressing the Restart button, just in case.

I installed this package: https://github.com/kozlek/HWSensors/tree/

HWMonitor doesn't get any temperatures at all, but Istat does it perfectly, even GPU temps and fan speeds.

Thanks for the tip!

Didn't find an attached file... am I blind or did it fail to upload correctly? What was it?

[success] Sabertooth z77, i7 3770K, GTX 680, Mountain Lion

I just want to publicly thank you for this! I have a hackintosh with sabertooth z77, 3930 and 6870 video card running lion which the install (based on MitchellK's golden build) worked perfectly for. Like easier than windows install, literally.

Being a complete idiot, I thought I'd replicate the build for my girlfriend with a GTX 680 and mountain lion. I've been struggling with this for nearly a MONTH! I upgraded the bios (to the 2002) bios which won't work with ML. Then I found you couldn't downgrade, so had to manually swap the bios chip.

Then I tried a thousand things - bottom line is the latest ML version of multibeast does not work for the sabertooth z77, but this is perfect.

I now have a working machine, after a month of painful reinstalls and problem solving.

Thanks again! I wish I had 3 thumbs so I could give you 3 thumbs up!

Cool! Nice to know that my discription really helped! That was the purpose of writing it in the first place. Thanks again to Stork, who edited my post extensively to match the forum rules. Well done! Now your work pays out and it helped somebody! :thumbup:

I upgraded the bios (to the 2002) bios which won't work with ML.
I've now used every version that ASUS provided for the Sabertooth z77 on its website so far. Never experienced any problems with ML at all. Updated again last week using the windows product suite. Works. Are you sure about that some versions wont work with ML?

the latest ML version of multibeast does not work for the sabertooth z77
It works! You just need to make the right choices in the installation process. :)

Nice build. Mine is very similar: Sabertooth Z77, i7 2600K, GTX 680 & Mountain Lion.

Did you get the onboard HD4000 to work on your system? My HD3000 is not showing up and I would like to use it to get a third monitor working.

The HD4000 worked out of the box. As far as i know it's the standard graphics engine in all of apples notebooks by now. So everything it needs to run is already onboard the osx installation.

Might get tricky to use two graphics engines in one system. Is that possible at all?

Good question...not finding much info as most people use one or the other on their hackintosh. Of course, it works great in Windows...I have two monitors plugged into the 680 and one into the motherboard utilizing HD3000 and it works better than it did when I had all three plugged into a 590. I'm also running Virtu MVP.

Yes in works in Windows. The Interface in windows System preferences is also designed to deal with multiple graphic cards. One can switch between them. But this is not the case with the apple system preferences. I don't know how your plan should work without having an interface that allows you to assin one card to one specific display. You would need an additional piece of software to get this to work in osx I guess.

Your memory is rated as 1600mhz yet your memory is clocked at 1333mhz, have you tried setting your memory to XMP? I have the same motherboard and have had tons of issues with memory. The first 2 sets of gskill memory i bought would only work with 2 dims in the first two channels. Any dimms added to the b1/b2 channels caused a dram error and no POST. I even purchased memory that was on the QVL on Asus site. I noticed your memory is not on the QVL so I'm wondering wether it's working at full performance. Could you check this for me, then i will buy the same memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back