Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Out Of The Box: GA-Z77X-UP5-TH - i7 3770K - HD 4000 OSX 10.8.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Almost] Out Of The Box: GA-Z77X-UP5-TH - i7 3770K - HD 4000 OSX 10.8.4 Sleep nightmare

Thanks for your feedback, herrschultzz. I will have my card next week , and i'll install it. I was thinking on GE=no for it to work, but i can try your way too, im getting used to the trial-error approach for my build, it lets me try different settings and its very educational too.

Regarding Thunderbolt, lots of forum members had reported that hot swap will not work with this mobo in customacs, so i guess you just have to plug your device from the start up time. I haven´t tried my self, im just using the TH port to connect my Apple Cinema Display without adapters and it works very well, i know its not a storage device but i do can plug it and unplug it with the sytem on and it gets recognized instantlly.

good luck with yur build!

[Almost] Out Of The Box: GA-Z77X-UP5-TH - i7 3770K - HD 4000 OSX 10.8.4 Sleep nightmare

...Regarding Thunderbolt, lots of forum members had reported that hot swap will not work with this mobo in customacs, so i guess you just have to plug your device from the start up time....
That's correct. IIRC, it's even in the motherboard's manual. :thumbup:

It's no issue with TB running an external display like Apple Cinema as a Display Port. Storage devices are the problem. Personally I hate to hot swap because you never know when you'll accidentally pull the wrong drive or cable during a mission critical copy job - so I don't do it ever. Better to just boot up with what you need connected and work your session with it remaining mounted.

I'll be using one TB connection for an external PCI box holding a Red Rocket PCI card for Red Cinema footage processing. It will need to be ready and available on boot up so no problem there.

BTW, just put in a Crucial 256gb SSD as system drive and boot from Cameleon screen takes less than 6 seconds - wow.

Lastly, I put in a second GTX 256 card for the CUDA cores and you definitely need to have GE=yes enabled.

Jiojimbo, what are your BIOS and/or other settings when using the TB port to drive a monitor display? I've tried many BIOS settings without success trying to use a TB to DVI cable adapter. Will this only work with a native mini display port cable?

Well, its a good question, i don't know if it only works with MDP or TB cables, as im running an MDP apple cinema display, the only adapter im using is this cable http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045I85FA/ to stretch the ridiculously short cable of the ACD but i think it should be able to work as a mac TB port except for the hotswap and the ability to daisy chain only 3 devices in a single port.
Im just guessing, but are you running your graphics from the mobo, from the graphis card or both? iF you connect it to the dvi port on the mobo, it works? you have to be shure that you enable graphics for both or only the enabled one will run the screens, maybe take a look here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...d3000-hd4000-amd-nvidia-working-together.html.
Im getting my nvidia card tomorrow (hopefully) so soon will have very similar settings and i can test too!

as for the BIOS, nothing special just the things on the screen shot at the description of my built.

i have also an sdd an this thing flyes!

are you running your graphics from the mobo, from the graphis card or both? iF you connect it to the dvi port on the mobo, it works? you have to be sure that you enable graphics for both or only the enabled one will run the screens

It's been an either/or with the graphics/monitor. Yesterday I tried to hook up a non-ACD monitor using a TB>DVI adapter cable. For some reason it not only crashed, but wiped out the installation on the SSD system drive. I spent some time resurrecting it from a backup but it was a pain - I won't try that again. It might work better according to your experience to use a mini displayport cable instead but at this point I'm gunshy about it. I really need the CUDA cores in my GTX570 for work with Resolve and Redcine X for processing RAW footage so I'm OK about not using the HD4000 on the motherboard.

My BIOS settings for the GTX570 are to set the following under Peripherals
Init Display First: Auto
Primary PEG: Auto
Internal Graphics: Disabled

my bootflag plist looks like this (using the GTX570 PCI card) with everything seeming to be working - all usb 3.0 and 2.0, TB (without hot swap of course), ethernet, audio - all working good.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>"1920x1080x32"</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>darkwake=0</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>LoginToLion</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I would be curious to know if you can indeed enable both internal and PCI graphics as I haven't figured out if that's possible yet. And I'm getting a 4 second boot up with the system SSD.

That´s what i was thinking: that you should have graphics card or onboard graphics. I`ll try for sure, but as far as i know the only advantage will be to run a screen (s) on the gpu an other(s) on the Hd400. Apparently there´s no way to combine both processors for computing graphics so i think i'll let the gpu do all the work.
The card arrived today - an EVGA GTX 770 (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CZIQXBA/) - but I'm under a heavy work load , so i will not be able to try until Friday or Saturday, I'll let you know for sure if i succeed. BTW thanks for posting your settings

Haha you know what also flies overclocking it to 4.8 and being stable ;)

Hey Wolfie! I'm sure it does! that will be my next attempt (between work projects, i cant afford do experiments with a client waiting!)
B the way i wanted to ask you: how are your cpu temps doing? can you tell me what are you having w/o overclock? I know that you are using a massive cpu cooler , but mine isn't too bad neither. Im trying to figure if im having he right temps. Right know is about 33-37 idle and under 46 loaded. what do you think?

-cheers!

I found out that these settings work for me with 10.8.4:

• Set optimized defaults in Bios.
  • Disable Internal CPU PLL Overvoltage (you won't be able to overclock just so you know).
  • Set XMP Memory profile to Profile 1.
  • Disable Wake On Lan

Leave both lines as:
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>

darkwake=0 from org.chameleon.boot.plist. darkwake=No doesn't set a value so it's not worth using that.

I've had to use PleaseSleep on 10.8.4 until I changed my settings to the above. It takes about 5 minutes for it to enter a sleep state after my displays go to standby, so you might have to have to leave it alone for a bit and see if it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back