Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Out Of The Box: GA-Z77X-UP5-TH - i7 3770K - HD 4000 OSX 10.8.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
herrschultzz, I deleted my post as you were writing your response. I didn't think I answered your question, but it looks like I gave you a lead to solve your problem with using a Dual-Link DVI cable.

Stork, it looks like the problem is the lack of a dual link DVI cable as the ones I have appear to be single link. For some reason I didn't check that. The card as you see from the link you sent has 2 dual ports so I'm on my way to Fry's to get a new dual link DVI cable to try out.

I've had no problems with Thunderbolt accessing any storage devices I've tried, and since I plan on only using TBolt for those devices, I wasn't keen on using it for display purposes. Perhaps I'll pick up a mini-Displayport cable and see if it gets the monitor to work. One advantage of that would be to free up the cores of the GTX 570 for DaVinci Resolve to utilize by not using it to power any monitors. Apparently this has a big effect on Resolve's performance.

Testing, testing, testing . . .

herrschultzz, I deleted my post as you were writing your response. I didn't think I answered your question, but it looks like I gave you a lead to solve your problem with using a Dual-Link DVI cable.

Yes, the Dual Link cable was the answer from the GTX570 port, for some reason I had never had to use a DL DVI before.

I can't check the Displayport function yet because my local computer store only sells a $49 version of the cable and I can order one from Amazon for around $4 (10x1 price ratio there) and a few days wait.

As the fat lady said to the fat man - thanks for the tip !

Hi herrschultzz,
I had no problems so far with the Apple Cinema Display. First, I had it connected to the HD4000 using the mobo's Thunderbolt port with no issues. Then, I added this cable, but its just an extension so i don't think i matters at all (by the way, it works perfect!). Now its plugged to the display port connection in my GTX 770 card via this adapter. It's working fine.

I agree with Stork it sounds like you need a dual link dvi cable. I don't know if that was what you meant when you said "double DVI." I googled a search for Dell U2813WM, and I'm getting very unusual web pages, is this a model number for western Europe or Russia? is your display like this one?

two more things:
1. I think that you need a mdp cable to run a mdp Display, i dont think it will work with the TB cable, the only ones that can run video out of it are TB Displays. im not 100% sure but it seems normal to me.

2.once you manage to get your displays running from the HD4000, how are you going to enable the GPU's in order to use its computing power? I mean, i don't know if itspossible to do that on a non real mac. I would love to do that in order to use the full power of the GTX 770. I already tried some settings and im not able que get both gtx770 an hd4000 working together without using DSDT yet.

Hi herrschultzz,
I had no problems so far with the Apple Cinema Display. First, I had it connected to the HD4000 using the mobo's Thunderbolt port with no issues. Then, I added this cable, but its just an extension so i don't think i matters at all (by the way, it works perfect!). Now its plugged to the display port connection in my GTX 770 card via this adapter. It's working fine.

I agree with Stork it sounds like you need a dual link dvi cable. I don't know if that was what you meant when you said "double DVI." I googled a search for Dell U2813WM, and I'm getting very unusual web pages, is this a model number for western Europe or Russia? is your display like this one?

The Dell is a U2913WM
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-U2913WM-29-Inch-Ultra-Wide/dp/B00B0ARE12

A new Dual Link DVI cable fixed the DVI resolution problem, but I would like to see if I can get the DP>TB connection working just to see how that works out. Like I stated before, not using the GTX card but keeping it in the PCIe slot helps with some visual programs like DaVinci Resolve work better by using more of the GPU Cuda cores. So I'm going to order a miniDP>miniDP cable like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-32AWG-Mini-DisplayPort-Cable/dp/B0034X6SCY

and check it out. I was just wondering if you had to have some BIOS settings or other OS settings a certain way for the display to work out of the TBolt port. The U2913WM has a regular and a mini DP input port.

once you manage to get your displays running from the HD4000, how are you going to enable the GPU's in order to use its computing power?

I'm not using the internal HD4000 at all. I've got it disabled in BIOS. All I need from the GTX card are the two DVI outputs, one for system program viewing and the second as a video viewer for FCP, and other video editing programs. I would like to try and get the os system programs running over the TB port if possible though, and I think the DP cable would allow that to happen. This would free up some GPU resources and still keep one TB port open for storage access.

Ok i understand your need of the CUDA cores i just didint knew that just to have the GPU on the PCIE slot helped, i thinked i must be somehow "active" i.e. running a display.
Regarding BIOS settings i used nothing special, when the hd4000 was enabled (internal graphics first, etc) i could run it just plugging it at the mobo . even hotswapp worked. BUT i had to plug it on the lower TB port in order to work. I have "wake form tb devices" disabled, but i dont think it matters to de display issue .

:roll2:Now that its running out of the GTX same story, no special BIOS settings

Now i understand! I was writing an didn't saw your reply. As i said i'll keep looking for a "vanilla" way to get both GPU and internal graphics working, if i succeed i'll let you know

edit:i think with the right MDP you will be on your way, that's what it seems doing some research. Its a pretty good display you got there, i looked at it when i bought my ACD as i was looking for a Color-calibrated screen for printing processes but i just coudn't find any here at my town.I think its a top-of-the-line and i love the height adjustments!

I am ready to throw in the towel on this graphics stuff.

I can't get the DVI-D connection to work at all on the internal graphics/mobo connector - only the VGA works. This is with the internal graphics enabled and IGFX ON.

I can't get the Displayport to Dell U2913WM to work out of either TB port either using either a TB cable or a stock miniDP>DP cable. I get stuck in the grey screen/spinning gear mode no matter what I set in EUFI/BIOS. This happens whether I have the GTX570 card plugged in the mobo or not.

The only thing that is working perfectly is DVI-D from GTX570 and PCI set as intial graphics. Must turn internal graphics to Disabled though to boot.

Getting frustrated because I have to free up an 8 lane slot for a Raid card and I was hoping I could just drive the graphics off the HD4000, and I could if only the DVI-D connector below the VGA connector was working. I'm looking for a hidden switch or something on the mobo . . . Really frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back