Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Out Of The Box: GA-Z77X-UP5-TH - i7 3770K - HD 4000 OSX 10.8.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
[SUCCESS] Out Of The Box: GA-Z77X-UP5-TH - i7 3770K - HD 4000 OSX 10.8.4 Sleep nightmare

I'm having some trouble getting a Carbon Copy Cloned HDD backup drive to boot. Weird because I had it working as my original boot drive then CCC'd it to a new SSD which is now primary boot drive. I thought I'd do the reverse and have the HDD on hand as a backup, but it just won't boot - getting the endless spinning gear so I can't get to Multibeast to load in a bootlist. Tried everything I've done before GE=yes/no etc but no go.

Once I get it working again I'll just use Time Machine to update it from the SSD

Any suggestions would be appreciated . . .

[SUCCESS] Out Of The Box: GA-Z77X-UP5-TH - i7 3770K - HD 4000 OSX 10.8.4 Sleep nightmare

Well thats weird indeed. Maybe you can set the backup as primary disk again, BUT booth from your unibeast installer and reinstall chimera bootloader again onto that disk. I know time mahcine copyes all except our customac bootloaders, beacuse there are not a real part of what time machine sees as a mac. In the case of CCC this is strange, as it makes a exact copy of the volume. Did you try to re-clone from your working ssd?

FYI i just put the nvidia gtx770 a moment ago and it worked without further modifications, just changed on BIOS internal graphics=disabled and initial display first to PGE. Im running both of my displays on it included ACD via mdp to dp adapter. I have disabled the HD4000 for the moment, i do have Open cl but no CUDA yet. I will play with settings later.

Yes, I'm re-cloning now and intend to use the Chimera Pkg after it finishes and before re-boot. One thread outlined that as a solution. I'm getting pretty used to things not staying the same even though there's no reason for them not to - life in Frankintoshland.

Great news about your GTX card, now it appears we don't have to pay a premium for those Mac-enabled graphics cards. Open CL will pretty much bring parity to ATI cards that the NVidia CUDA system has done for their cards now with the new Macs later this year. So having success with a generic PC video card is a big deal.

The re-clone has finished so I'll update in a minute about success with Chimera. . .

UPDATE: Chimera didn't work, drive won't even boot past the TonyMac initial screen. I've followed all the instructions for a successful cloning that I can find in various threads. It's a head-scratcher.

Yes its great to use the card, i still have to get CUDA working in After Efects, but already opengl works by itself.
Now, about your cloning issue: in just guessing, but if you cloned it with CCC i asume it did an exact copy of the volume so maybe its not about the cloning but some bios setting like setting booth preference or something. did you try to booth from it without any other drives connected, including the actual booth drive? have you already tried safe mode or some flags at booth , as when yuo were struggling with GE=yes ot no? or maybe conecting it to se same sata port on the mobo were your working drive is?

Yes its great to use the card, i still have to get CUDA working in After Efects, but already opengl works by itself.
Now, about your cloning issue: in just guessing, but if you cloned it with CCC i asume it did an exact copy of the volume so maybe its not about the cloning but some bios setting like setting booth preference or something. did you try to booth from it without any other drives connected, including the actual booth drive? have you already tried safe mode or some flags at booth , as when yuo were struggling with GE=yes ot no? or maybe conecting it to se same sata port on the mobo were your working drive is?

I'm going to try doing this on another different HDD and I'll check out all those options in BIOS and using the same SATA cable. Done for today, I'll update tomorrow.

Buenos noches

Success: switched HDD to a different one and got it working. Now with Chameleon I have the option of booting to either of the OS X installations - SSD or HDD.

On CUDA, to get it working you just need to download the CUDA drivers from here;
http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-cuda-5.5.24-driver.html

here is a good step-by-step to enter the CUDA card using Terminal for AE and Premiere Pro CS6
http://www.vidmuze.com/how-to-enable-gpu-cuda-in-adobe-cs6-for-mac/

I apologize if you are already familiar with this routine, but it took me some time a few months back to figure this out.

Hope it speeds things up for you as the CUDA surely will.

Yeah! so the blame is on the other hdd i guess... glad you made it.
about CUDA I already tricked the recognized card list so its showing up now on after effects...
everything seemed fine, but know im just having 1 screen (the dvi) for boot , and untill i enter OS then i have both screens... nothing too bad but ill try to fix that now, and then will try to have the hd4000 and he gtx 770 to work at same time.

Hey Wolfie! I'm sure it does! that will be my next attempt (between work projects, i cant afford do experiments with a client waiting!)
B the way i wanted to ask you: how are your cpu temps doing? can you tell me what are you having w/o overclock? I know that you are using a massive cpu cooler , but mine isn't too bad neither. Im trying to figure if im having he right temps. Right know is about 33-37 idle and under 46 loaded. what do you think?

-cheers!

Thats what Im getting for idle, sometimes it dips into the high 20's.At 4.8 idle is averaging about 40 on idle and at 100% load from mid 80's to 105. Though it only flickers every now and then for a sec at 105 so Im not fussed.

Well thanks for sharing, so im runing on average temps... somehow i was thinking to get it under 20c , but i see its not necesary. I added a GTX 770 yesterday and under load the cpu just goes just above 50... then i speed up all my 7(!) fans and drops down to 35 ot lower... i think i still have some range to attempt some overckloking without having a bonfire in my small case.

Jojimbo, what is your displayport configuration?

I've gotten a large Dell U2813WM 29" monitor to use, but it needs double DVI to work because it's over 1920x1080 resolution. It does have a Displayport (regular & mini) to use. I've tried using the Thunderbolt cable from Motherboard to Displayport input on monitor without success. I'm thinking that I might need a normal Displayport to Displayport cable to get it working. I don't want to use both DVI ports on the NVidia 570 card because I want to export the second port out as a video display monitor later.

I know you have an Apple Cinema Display working, what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back