Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Monterey12.1 Z97X-UD3H Haswell i7-4790K HD4600

No, you don’t have to map the USB ports prior to installation. You can map the USB ports in macOS.

The XhciPortLimit quirk has been fixed, it works in the newer macOS releases if you are using OpenCore 0.9.2+, so no need to map the ports in Windows.

Ok thanks. So do you mean if I had enabled that quirk, I wouldn't have had the garbled ‘Still waiting for root device’ error that prevented installation? Because there is actually a new note/warning in the Dortania guide to map the USB ports prior to installation on newer macOS versions to avoid exactly that error that I'd overlooked.

Also I would strongly recommend you use the SSDT-EHCx-OFF.aml table from my EFI folder. This will shunt all the EHC1/EH01 & EHC2/EH02 ports to the XHC controller, which makes the USB port discovery easier.
Would you mind elaborating on that a bit more?
So I'm guessing the board has 2 USB controllers, and normally bios would spread the various hubs between them with the higher speeds going to xCHI controller? But as we have a 15 port limit anyway, we can put everything on the faster controller?
And what are the benefits of doing this?
Port discovery easier for who? The user or OpenCore / macOS?

Last edited:
Easier for the User.

Back