UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
So originally this post was to ask for help to get this set up working but now that it is working I figured I would update it for anyone trying to get this same set of hardware up and running. I am going to leave the original post bellow but the attachments on this post are the final files that will work for getting this system up and running.

So first off I would change your BIOs for your mother board. Attached are my final BIOs (full disclosure I have never "overclocked" a CPU so those settings were the best that I could find and I had to do this because stock my CPU was running at .8 GHz, which obviously sucked). I did not need to update or downgrade the UEFI BIOs version, I was just using was came stock out of the box.

Next you want to create your bootable USB, I used Dortania's guide and it was really simple. I did it using a Macbook but there are instructions to use and OS to get this USB working.

If you have this exact hardware set up here is where you get to save a lot of head ache. Just use my EFI attached. I was using openCore 0.6.5 Debug mode and that is what is inside my EFI folder. You can easily switch it to the release version once you are stable and happy with your build. I would stick with openCore 0.6.5 just because of everything I have heard on this site. And once you are done with that you basically copy your EFI onto your internal HD so you don't need the bootable USB. I would leave it on the bootable USB till you are done tweaking the system because I got cocky at one point and then it was either pull out the HD and plug it into my other device to fix the setting I changed or start over with a fresh install.

And that's it, if you have my exact hardware the audio should work, the ethernet should work and it should run smoothly. I still haven't dealt with patching my iGPU which is next on my list because there are some small issues with the graphics. I also haven't tested iMessages, but Dortania has a guide for that if you need that to work.

* I mostly just followed Dortania guides to get this build working and for the most part it was pretty straight forward. If you want to know where I had issues with this build:

The biggest hiccups I came across was first setting my BIOs correctly (which the wonderful people here helped me with) Then getting my kext is the correct order. You can see my post bellow but basically Luli needs to be first and then you need VirtualSMC, WhateverGreen, AppleALC (I dont know if those need to be in a specific order but this order worked for me, and luckily my EFI has them in the correct order) I am really kind of upset that the Dortania guide didn't explain that when going through, I don't even think I realized I needed Luli till after I was done with everything and so I put it last and it wasn't till much later I found it somewhere saying it needed to be first (that was really my only gripe with the Dortania guides). The next issue I ran into was my ethernet port not working. That one was a pain in the butt, however it should work with the same hardware. If you are still having issues I would suggest changing in your config.plist, under "DeviceProperties" > PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1C,0x4)/Pci(0x0,0x0) to PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1C,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0). Notice the "4" changes to a "1", those are just different physical locations and you can use iORegerstryExplorer to find that location, this support thread helped me get that working, the other issue I had there was getting the ktexts that they were talking about in that thread. Once again those are in my EFI but something I didn't realize as a complete noob is that some kexts can be folders so that's how I got FakePCIID.kext to work because I couldn't find a kext file of that anywhere. The next issue was fixing my audio but I just followed the Dortania Guide on that and after some trial and error I found that layout 11 was right for this build, if you have the same hardware it should be exactly the same but that guide is pretty straight forward. The last hurdle I had to over come was the CPU not running at this full capacity, at first I tried the Power Management guide, and the results from that are also in my EFI but I honestly don't know if that fixed anything, it wasn't until I got into my BIOs and starting changing those settings did I get any results. I followed this Youtube video but if you matched my BIOs then it should be working as well for you. Or maybe you have over clocked a CPU before and you can help me get those setting correct. Like I said the last thing that still might need tweaking is my iGPU, once I get those tweaks in I will update this but for now this should help you easily get this exact set of hardware up and running. I hope this helped people please let me know if I can help explain anything or if you have any questions. Good luck, from one noob to another, you can do it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
************************* Everything Bellow is from the original post *******************************

As described in the the title I am trying a fresh install of Big Sur on a ASUS Z490-A mother board with a i9-10850k (Comet Lake) processor using OpenCore 0.6.6. I have followed these directions exactly: OpenCore Install Guide - Comet Lake and got it to boot up to the installer but now it is having issues in the reboot. First it was stuck in a reboot loop, and I found this thread and specifically this comment:
You right, Big Sur beta 10 required Security/SecureBootModel to Disabled on OC 0.6.2. It isn't the OC problem.
and now it gets further but then crashes (like instead of a reboot loop, the mother board boots in safe mode because it crashed). I am very new to this, I have only built one other Hackintosh, I have built tons of PCs but as I am sure you are all well aware, those are not nearly as complicated. After starting on this journey, I am realizing that I didn't do the first Hackintosh right because I never got sound to work on that one. I am trying to better this time! I have attached my config.plist and the last OpenCore debug log. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• ASUS-Z490-i9_setting.txt
    29.5 KB · Views: 581
  • EFI.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 979
Last edited:
Ok thanks for the replies, I tried matching those BIOs as close as I could and it was still having issues. I will try starting fresh with OC 0.6.5. The other thing I was thinking about trying, is making sure the kexts are in the correct order in the config.plist, I read in the OpenCore support that they needed to be put into an executable order. I am not 100% what is the best order but from the research I found this is the order I was thinking:

Luli
VirtualSMC
WhateverGreen
AppleALC
IntelSnowMausi
USBInjectAll

Does that look like a good order? or does that even matter?

Great news, I have got Big Sur to install! The main issue I am running into now is that there is no ethernet connection. Like I said in the original post I have a ASUS Prime Z490-A Mother board, which has an Intel® I225-V 2.5G Ethernet port. According to the OpenCore guide I need IntelMausi.kext and I also need to add:

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1C,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

This entry relates to Intel's i225-V 2.5GBe controller found on higher end Comet Lake boards, what we'll be doing here is tricking Apple's i225LM driver into supporting our i225-V network controller:

Key Type Value
device-id Data F2150000

• Note: If your board didn't ship with the Intel i225 NIC, there's no reason to add this entry.
  • Note 2: If you get a kernel panic on i210 kext, your Ethernet's path is likely PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1C,0x4)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

I have tried both paths and even IntelSnowMausi.kext to no avail...

Would love some more help, thanks guys

May I ask what BIOS version you are on? I'm having issues booting the installer. I can't find where to turn Secure Boot off.

I saw another web site saying that clearing the secure boot keys should disable secure boot. I have tried that but continue to run in to the EXITBS:START error when the installer attempts to boot. I have tried downgrading the BIOS but EZ Flash 3 does not accept the older BIOS files. I'm currently on BIOS version 2004.

May I ask what BIOS version you are on? I'm having issues booting the installer. I can't find where to turn Secure Boot off.

I saw another web site saying that clearing the secure boot keys should disable secure boot. I have tried that but continue to run in to the EXITBS:START error when the installer attempts to boot. I have tried downgrading the BIOS but EZ Flash 3 does not accept the older BIOS files. I'm currently on BIOS version 2004.

I assume I am on the latest BIOS version because I did not change it, so its whatever the BIOS version that is out of the box for the ASUS Z490-A. I literally went through every page of the advanced BIOS looking for anything that matched what was said here:

Try EFI below and set the bios as close as you can:

Disable​

• Fast Boot
  • Secure Boot
  • Serial/COM Port
  • Parallel Port
  • VT-d (can be enabled if you set DisableIoMapper to YES)
  • CSM
  • Thunderbolt(For initial install, as Thunderbolt can cause issues if not setup correctly)
  • Intel SGX
  • Intel Platform Trust
  • CFG Lock (MSR 0xE2 write protection)(This must be off, if you can't find the option then enable AppleXcpmCfgLock under Kernel -> Quirks. Your hack will not boot with CFG-Lock enabled)

Enable​

• VT-x
  • Above 4G decoding
    • 2020+ BIOS Notes: When enabling Above4G, Resizable BAR Support may become an available on some Z490 and newer motherboards. Please ensure this is Disabled instead of set to Auto.
  • Hyper-Threading
  • Execute Disable Bit
  • EHCI/XHCI Hand-off
  • OS type: Windows 8.1/10 UEFI Mode
  • DVMT Pre-Allocated(iGPU Memory): 64MB
  • SATA Mode: AHCI
Good luck

I took some pictures of my BIOS so you can see my settings but I honestly don't remember exactly what I changed:

PXL_20210226_060826722.jpg

PXL_20210226_060802728.jpg

PXL_20210226_060750538.jpg
PXL_20210226_060739576.jpg
PXL_20210226_060710333.jpg
PXL_20210226_060515128.jpg
PXL_20210226_060500824.jpg
PXL_20210226_060436266.jpg
PXL_20210226_060406528.jpg
PXL_20210226_060402966.jpg

I did clear the secure boot keys but like I said I just followed the above list as closely as possible. I think it also helped to put my kexts in the correct order. After I did both those things OpenCore booted up the installer

I have also attached my EFI files for you if you want, also for anyone who can help me because I am still having issues with the computer not running as smoothly as it should. Someone told me to check the Power Management so I followed the "Post Install - Power Management Guide" but I must have done something wrong because when I tried to reboot, it just got stuck on the apple screen, and unfortunately my cocky ass had already moved the boot up folder to the internal drive. Since it was already broken I tried a fresh install with all the working config.plist to see if that would help but its still running slow, so I am going to try to fix the power management again now that I have a fresh install and it's back on the boot up USB so I can fix it if I break it again. But if anyone has a better idea to get it running better I'm all ears.

Thanks, and I hope my BIOS help you classicmac.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 223
  • PXL_20210226_060730303.jpg
    PXL_20210226_060730303.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 125
Last edited:
So originally this post was to ask for help to get this set up working but now that it is working I figured I would update it for anyone trying to get this same set of hardware up and running. I am going to leave the original post bellow but the attachments on this post are the final files that will work for getting this system up and running.

So first off I would change your BIOs for your mother board. Attached are my final BIOs (full disclosure I have never "overclocked" a CPU so those settings were the best that I could find and I had to do this because stock my CPU was running at .8 GHz, which obviously sucked). I did not need to update or downgrade the UEFI BIOs version, I was just using was came stock out of the box.

Next you want to create your bootable USB, I used Dortania's guide and it was really simple. I did it using a Macbook but there are instructions to use and OS to get this USB working.

If you have this exact hardware set up here is where you get to save a lot of head ache. Just use my EFI attached. I was using openCore 0.6.5 Debug mode and that is what is inside my EFI folder. You can easily switch it to the release version once you are stable and happy with your build. I would stick with openCore 0.6.5 just because of everything I have heard on this site. And once you are done with that you basically copy your EFI onto your internal HD so you don't need the bootable USB. I would leave it on the bootable USB till you are done tweaking the system because I got cocky at one point and then it was either pull out the HD and plug it into my other device to fix the setting I changed or start over with a fresh install.

And that's it, if you have my exact hardware the audio should work, the ethernet should work and it should run smoothly. I still haven't dealt with patching my iGPU which is next on my list because there are some small issues with the graphics. I also haven't tested iMessages, but Dortania has a guide for that if you need that to work.

* I mostly just followed Dortania guides to get this build working and for the most part it was pretty straight forward. If you want to know where I had issues with this build:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
************************* Everything Bellow is from the original post *******************************

As described in the the title I am trying a fresh install of Big Sur on a ASUS Z490-A mother board with a i9-10850k (Comet Lake) processor using OpenCore 0.6.6. I have followed these directions exactly: OpenCore Install Guide - Comet Lake and got it to boot up to the installer but now it is having issues in the reboot. First it was stuck in a reboot loop, and I found this thread and specifically this comment:

and now it gets further but then crashes (like instead of a reboot loop, the mother board boots in safe mode because it crashed). I am very new to this, I have only built one other Hackintosh, I have built tons of PCs but as I am sure you are all well aware, those are not nearly as complicated. After starting on this journey, I am realizing that I didn't do the first Hackintosh right because I never got sound to work on that one. I am trying to better this time! I have attached my config.plist and the last OpenCore debug log. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
What’s your graphic hardware?
You use stock intel UHD 630?
Do you fix your graphics bug?

What’s your graphic hardware?
You use stock intel UHD 630?
Do you fix your graphics bug?
Correct I am just using the stock Intel UHD 630 graphics and still having the graphics bug.

Any tips? I tried messing with my BIOs settings for the graphics but that didn't fix anything. But I also don't really know what I am doing when it comes to that.

Correct I am just using the stock Intel UHD 630 graphics and still having the graphics bug.

Any tips? I tried messing with my BIOs settings for the graphics but that didn't fix anything. But I also don't really know what I am doing when it comes to that.
First of all,i want to say thank you cause your efi is the only one that work for me (i have the same exact build) so you really help me a lot.
But i have the dockbar with black background and the graphic seems like it is slow and a little buggy.
Do you have tried with hackintool?

Great build. I have an Asus Z490 A / I9 10850K / RX 580 build trying to updated to Big Sur. I am running OpenCore 0.6.5 (had no luck updating OpenCore. Any way you could share how you did you USB mapping? Most of my USB ports are disabled and not luck getting mine to show in Hackintool to map them. I am using USBInejctAll kext but it looks to not work in Big Sur. Running Big Sur 11.6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back