Contribute
Register

[Success] iDell XPS 8300 *Mountain Lion 10.8.2*

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Success] iDell XPS 8300 *Mountain Lion 10.8*

I was getting the same thing with the onboard ethernet card. It would drop especially when downloading large files which would then require a reboot. Most of the onboard NICs have these issues it seems. I purchased the Rosewill RC-401-EX Network Card Gigabit Low Profile 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI-Express 1 x RJ45 from newegg.com and it works flawlessly. It uses the Marvel chipset which is natively supported by Mountain Lion out of the box. Here is the link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166015
Twenty bones isn't such a bad deal for an otherwise stable hackintosh build. Sonos makes a card with the Marvel chipset as well but is twice the price and uses the exact same chipset. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the Link, so ML does not like the onboard nic. I will try it. I did have time machine setup so that was probably what was causing the drops

Hi there,

this is my first post but I hope that I can help you.
So have to say that I have quiet the same specs except the SSD.

I just installed ML on my XPS 8300 with a Unibeast created 10.8.0 Retail ML.dmg

All works fine BUT sometimes it happens that I don´t come to the LogIn-Screen after the grey boot screen.
Don´t know why.
Sometimes have to reboot only once, other times about ten times...

Hope that anyone have a solution for me. Maybe the GT 530 making problems?

And Fred if you need some help please feel free to contact me. ;)

Brgds,
Fr33z3r

Hi,

I have a XPS 8300 with the same GT 530 card and it is working very well and is now stable after I installed the Nvidia Retail-304.00.05f02 drivers http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-304.00.05f02-driver.html and applied the CL patch as in MultiBeast.

Before using the Retail drivers, the display driver used to panic and freeze the screen. (but was able to ssh in to restart nicely).

I only used the BCM5722D.kext from the iDell.zip for the onboard Ethernet, for working audio I used the Without DSDT -> ALC887/888b -> v100302 Current from MultiBeast.

I also got working sleep by using the SleepEnabler.kext from http://code.google.com/p/xnu-sleep-enabler/

I hope I can help others with GT 530s how might be wondering if they should go out and get a natively supported card.

Thank you Gravewyrm, SA5UK3 for the initial iDell XPS 8300 success posts and tonymacx86 for all the tools.

regards,
kawayuppie

Hi,

I have a XPS 8300 with the same GT 530 card and it is working very well and is now stable after I installed the Nvidia Retail-304.00.05f02 drivers http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-304.00.05f02-driver.html and applied the CL patch as in MultiBeast.

Before using the Retail drivers, the display driver used to panic and freeze the screen. (but was able to ssh in to restart nicely).

I only used the BMC43224.kext from the iDell.zip fro the Ethernet, for working audio I used the Without DSDT -> ALC887/888b -> v100302 Current from MultiBeast.

I also got working sleep by using the SleepEnabler.kext from http://code.google.com/p/xnu-sleep-enabler/

I hope I can help others with GT 530s how might be wondering if they should go out and get a natively supported card.

Thank you Gravewyrm, SA5UK3 for the initial iDell XPS 8300 success posts and tonymacx86 for all the tools.

regards,
kawayuppie

Did you get your wifi working? And if so, what model wifi card do you have? Thanks!

Did you get your wifi working? And if so, what model wifi card do you have? Thanks!

No, not yet. I am using the onboard NIC with the BCM5722D.kext which was in iDell.zip supplied by the original post by SA5UK3 at the start of this thread. (I see made a typo in my post, I must amend.)

I want to buy a Dell DW1510 Mini Wifi card from eBay to replace the DW1520 I have. I understand that the DW1510 work out of the box. Alternatively I am looking at TP Link TL-WDN4800 450Mbps Wireless N Dual Band PCI Express Adapter which I see are listed as a recommended part for tonymacx86 CustoMac builds.

I need to spread my budget or I would have bought them already!

No, not yet. I am using the onboard NIC with the BCM5722D.kext which was in iDell.zip supplied by the original post by SA5UK3 at the start of this thread. (I see made a typo in my post, I must amend.)

I want to buy a Dell DW1510 Mini Wifi card from eBay to replace the DW1520 I have. I understand that the DW1510 work out of the box. Alternatively I am looking at TP Link TL-WDN4800 450Mbps Wireless N Dual Band PCI Express Adapter which I see are listed as a recommended part for tonymacx86 CustoMac builds.

I need to spread my budget or I would have bought them already!

Thanks for the quick reply. After searching this forum about the issue, it seams that the DW1515 is recommended a lot and used in a lot of the recommended system builds. I just purchased one last night on eBay for $12.59. I already have a "shipped" notice this morning, less then 12 hours later. Here is the link to the one I purchased (I tried a "Make Offer" and he wouldn't accept lower):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Dell-HA...494?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b75f52de

If you don't mind waiting a little longer because of the shipping time, there is a less expensive one selling for $10.89 that ships from China. The auction also has a "Make Offer" button below the "Buy It Now" button where you can offer them a lower price. Here is that link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-HALF-M...US_Internal_Network_Cards&hash=item2c69aa7724

And here is the link to all of them if you want to look at all of them. Some of them have the "Make Offer" options, and some don't:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=dw1515&_sacat=0&_from=R40

I should receive mine by Friday, Saturday at the latest. I will post back how it worked for me. Good luck!

OK, I just installed the new DW1515 into my Dell and booted up. It recognized the card instantly and is working perfectly. I would definitely recommend this card. Good luck!

I may have spoken too soon. The wireless card is working fine, but after I rebooted it didn't remember my network so I have to enter my password again. I'm hoping there is a solution to this problem as I don't want to have to manually connect to my network every time I boot up. I'm wondering if I need to install a specific driver for the DW1515. I have this question posted in another thread.

Hey there!

I'm very sorry that my answer took so long. Lots of trouble going on in the last couple of weeks.
First of all I want to thank all of you for your patient support in this forum. I started setting up my iDell again and I stayed here for hours again but found solutions for nearly all of my issues.

Finally: I got it. NEARLY. Again a quick overview of my hardware setup, as my last post is looong ago ...

Dell XPS 8300
Intel Core i7 @ 3,4 GHz
nVidia GeForce GT530 1GB
Realtek HD Audio ALC887
Broadcom Netlink Ethernet BCM 57788 (working with 57228's kext)
Corsair SSD 120GB (partitioned 50/50 for Windows 8 dual boot)

So far. ... I am typing these lines out of Safari on Mountain Lion 10.8.2 - managed this with some different distributions out there.
Installation of ML went well using safe mode and verbose mode during setup via USB flash.
By now I got dual boot ready to work safely with Windows8 and ML.
I am using Chameleon 2.2 svn r2140 boot loader.

BIG ISSUE IS: booting to ML does NOT always work at all. Sometimes I manage to boot via bootloader, using GraphicsEnabler bootflag. Sometimes booting ends in kernel panic (seen in verbose mode), don't know why really.. :/
Today I found out that (obviously) booting from USB and then booting into the installed ML installation seems to work (with GraphicsEnabler=Yes), whereas yesterday I mostly managed to boot with GraphicsEnabler=NO ... I am perplex. As you know, I am kind of new to this, but I learned a lot the last days ... Think there have been around 300 reboots 'til I finally booted to ML's desktop ;-)
Today it took me two tries to boot up - managed via USB again...

Oh, BTW - installed the latest nVidia drivers, which did not change anything ... Booting is neither getting better nor worse ...

some words out of Chimera's boot log:
"VBios nVidia
Patching: BT_NVDA Edid not found or invalid - cbios not patched!"
(message was found after booting with GraphicsEnabler=Yes)

Guys - do you have ANY idea what i could try?! I don't ... :/ But 10+ reboots 'til finally booting ML is not that cool ...
Maybe some bootflag edits... driver updates ... workarounds. ... known issue?!
Oh, and if you have any solution for my Realtek HD Audio... did not get 5.1 audio to work ... Using stereo so far - is there any workaround or alternate driver i could use?

THANKS A LOT for your help - i really do appreciate that!

greetz from Germany ...
Fred

... snip

Guys - do you have ANY idea what i could try?! I don't ... :/ But 10+ reboots 'til finally booting ML is not that cool ...
Maybe some bootflag edits... driver updates ... workarounds. ... known issue?!
Oh, and if you have any solution for my Realtek HD Audio... did not get 5.1 audio to work ... Using stereo so far - is there any workaround or alternate driver i could use?

THANKS A LOT for your help - i really do appreciate that!

greetz from Germany ...
Fred

When you installed ML, what MultiBeast settings did you use? I found I had to select EasyBeast Installation otherwise I used to get KP often on boot. I don't have a working DSDT for XPS 8300, so I opted for EasyBeast for now. For sleep I use the SleepEnabler kext (see my posts in this thread)

So far my XPS is running ok ...

Cheers.

Hello again,

thanks for your reply!

I used Easybeast, too when I installed ML.
Multibeast-Settings:

- Easybeast
- System Utilities
- Realtek ALC8xx --> AppleHDA Rollback
- Miscellaneous --> NullCPUPowerManagement
- Customization --> PCI Root ID Fix

... left all the rest open.

Today I wanted to try a new, clean ML install using Unibeast, but I am not able to build the bootstick.
I already followed all the information given in this board's troubleshooting guide, but nothing helped ... (ML from App Store) ...
Therefore the fixing of my booting issue would be the greatest thing ... ;-)

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back