Contribute
Register

[Success] Guide: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 (EUFI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow this guide:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/46707-ms-dos-bootable-flash-drive-create.html

then place the BIOS update files on that USB drive then boot from that drive.

That worked, thanks! Got ML installed, followed your guide to the letter...but it only seems to want to boot in safe mode :/ Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Thinking it's the video card I have, it's a pretty aenemic GTX. I tried to find the one you listed, but couldn't find it on NewEgg or Amazon.

I'm upgrading my gaming rig's card to a GTX 660, so that will free up a 550 Ti. We'll see how that works.

Thanks so much for doing this guide!

I've followed three different guides and all of them worked more or less 100% but each had some glitches (on F12 and 1Uh) and some required a lot of kexts in my 'Extras' folder. This one is the most vanilla by far and the only one that I could get to work on U1h UEFI.

My rig:
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 U1h
Core i5 2500k + Intel HD3000 (for now)
16 Gb Corsair 1333
Samsung 830 64Gig + various other drives
Apple bluetooth module from iMac
Apple Broadcom WiFi / miniPCIe card

I have the 'USB3 port ejects ok once but no other USB device will mount afterwards until a reboot' problem. From what I can tell from System Information any device plugged into USB3 ports seems to report being plugged into a 'phantom' Intel USB hub. I don't remember seeing that on any previous installation using other post install tools. ​That last bit about Intel hub was rubbish. It was 4am and I really should have been in bed!

Also I don't really understand why UEFI instance of my boot drive results in a boot error (please insert media) but the P instance boots ok. I guess that's due to there being no UEFI partition on my boot drive?

I've got to figure out Apple DVD support and USB3 issue but otherwise everything seems to be working well. Thanks!

**Edit** Just noticed that under System Preferences/Network Ethernet is showing connected even though no Cat 5 cable is attached and TCP/IP settings have a self assigned IP 169.254.xx.xx - I used the official Realtek Gigabyte 2.0 kext option in MultiBeast so that option is not giving 100% expected behaviour. Works OK though when cable is connected.

I replaced the 3rd Party USB option 'CalDigitUSBxHCI.kext' with 'PXHCD.kext' and now USB3 ports eject and mount perfectly though the alternative kext I used is noted for not being as stable as it could be. It behaves better than 'CalDigitUSBxHCI.kext' on my board with 10.8.0 as far as I can see anyway.

The DVD player not opening issue just sort of disappeared. No idea why or how.

what board was this on?

Your sig says z77 but this is for z68

I've followed three different guides and all of them worked more or less 100% but each had some glitches (on F12 and 1Uh). This one is the most vanilla by far and the only one that I could get to work on 1Uh UEFI.

My rig
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 1Uh
Core i5 2500k + Intel HD3000 (for now)
16 Gb Corsair 1333
Samsung 830 64Gig + various other drives
Apple bluetooth module from iMac
Apple Broadcom WiFi / miniPCIe card

I have the USB3 port eject and no other USB device is seen afterwards until a reboot problem. From what I can tell from System Information any device plugged into USB3 ports seems to report being plugged into a 'phantom' Intel USB hub. I don't remember seeing that on any previous installation using other post install tools.

Also I don't really understand why UEFI instance of my boot drive results in a boot error (please insert media) but the P instance boots ok. I guess that's due to there being no UEFI partition on my good drive?

I've got to figure out Apple DVD support and USB3 issue but otherwise everything seems to be working well. Thanks!

I have the same board and hard drive as you do, but whenever I try to run multibeast the install fails.

What options did you choose in multibeast 5.0.2

Everything on our board works except for audio under the new UEFI BIOS, so I'm just trying to install the audio kext and a bootloader = install failed.

@Coelo

I followed the guide that is the subject of this thread exactly and it worked 99.99% - the only issue being USB3 does not work as expected.

Your problem of MultiBeast install failing - more detail needed - how does it fail? Is it just ML won't let you run it? Remember ML security defaults to App store sourced or signed apps only until you change the security settings.

Also Audio AND Ethernet (and USB3 and Marvell SATA for that matter) need to be tweaked. If you ignore USB3 and Marvell SATA this guide is 100% perfect.

**Edit** Just noticed that under System Preferences/Network Ethernet is showing connected even though no Cat 5 cable is attached and TCP/IP settings have a self assigned IP 169.254.xx.xx - I used the official Realtek Gigabyte 2.0 kext option in MultiBeast so that option is not giving 100% expected behaviour.

@Coelo

I followed the guide that is the subject of this thread exactly and it worked 99.99% - the only issue being USB3 does not work as expected.

Your problem of MultiBeast install failing - more detail needed - how does it fail? Is it just ML won't let you run it? Remember ML security defaults to App store sourced or signed apps only until you change the security settings.

Also Audio AND Ethernet (and USB3 and Marvell SATA for that matter) need to be tweaked. If you ignore USB3 and Marvell SATA this guide is 100% perfect.

**Edit** Just noticed that under System Preferences/Network Ethernet is showing connected even though no Cat 5 cable is attached and TCP/IP settings have a self assigned IP 169.254.xx.xx - I used the official Realtek Gigabyte 2.0 kext option in MultiBeast so that option is not giving 100% expected behaviour.

Seeing the same thing with Ehternet and Audio. However, Audio does work but it seems to come on each time with a "pop" before any audio comes through the speakers. The Ethernet does show connected without a cat5 cable connected. Big deal for me is the audio as it seems to turn off / sleep --is the best way I can define it -- and comes back when audio needs to be played, but not before a loud "pop" of the speakers. Any thoughts? Thank you for the guide.

z68-ud3h-b3 uefi .u1h
i5 2500k
6870hd

The Audio pop is an easy fix, you can either go Mac Pro 3,1 or just get http://www.tomsick.net/projects/antipop.html

I installed that antipopd and never have had the pop come back.

Thank You. This seems to be working. No more pop but if it comes back headed back to 3,1. What is the difference in performance 3,1 MPro vs 12,2 IMac? Have always gone by way of MacPro with this build but was recommended to hit IMac with UEFI.

with the iMac SMBIOs you get slightly better performance and AirPlay

The performance is minimal from a geek bench perspective.

And im using an XFX 6870, so I don't get the benefit of Airplay for some reason (if anyone wants to tackle that).

My Geekbench from Lion to Mountain Lion is within a couple hundred... so ML is faster for sure.

Also...

Sleep only works for me if I use the power button to make it sleep and turn off sleep.

If I do an auto-sleep the apple wired keyboard and apple bluetooth (apple bluetooth hack) trackpad don't function.

Not bad though IMHO

Another thing I forgot to mention is that 12,2 gives you Apple Graphics Power Management, so for your external cards you wont lose FPS when it comes back from sleep like Mac Pro 3,1 does.

Basically stay away from the Default system profile at all costs :) which is why antipopd is popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back