Contribute
Register

[Success] Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H i7-4770K GTX 650 Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I can finally say I have a fully functioning Hackintosh now. My specs are as follows:

• GA-Z97X-UD5H Motherboard
  • 16GB Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz memory
  • NVIDIA GTX 770 4GB
  • SSD x 2 (one for Mavericks, one for Windows 8.1)
  • Corsair carbide case & H80i Water cooler
  • Core-i7 4770K overclocked by 23% to 4.3GHz
  • TP-Link Wireless PCI card (tonymac recommended one)

Installation method:

1. Install Mavericks 10.9.3 via Chimera bootloader, using no flags to get to initial installation, then "-x" for completing the setup
  2. Once installed, reboot and choose SSD. You must boot with "-x" initially to get to the desktop in order to run multibeast and sort everything out. No boot flags results in the white apple logo screen with spinning wheel:beachball:
  3. Once you have gotten to the desktop, run the latest MultiBeast (6.3 at time of writing) and copy OP's multibeast settings apart from audio. You may want to reboot at this time and return to the desktop with -x.
  4. Next, go to System/Library/Extensions and delete AppleHDA.kext
  5. You should have internet connectivity through your on-board wireless card, if you don't and are using ethernet then you must install the latest intel kext through multibeast. Download a copy of Kext Wizard.
  6. Repair permissions on System/Library/Extensions and repair cache also. Now reboot.
  7. You should be able to get to the desktop now without any boot flags. Hurray! However, you have no sound, sigh:( It looks like the ALC1150 sound kext for this board is incompatible for the moment
  8. To get sound on this board, you can either use USB sound interface card or you can use the on-board sound by running multibeast again and ONLY selecting the latest Voodoo HDA (2.8.4 i believe?) - if you install the other ones it will render you unable to get to the desktop without safe mode.
  9. Once installed, run Kext Wizard and again repair permissions and cache.
  10. Reboot, and voila! You should have a up and running mac. Note: The reboot time here can be a little long, up to 30 seconds. To speed this up simply do the following:

• Reboot in -s
  • when you see root# type the following:

mount -uw /

cd /System/Library/Extensions

mkdir intel_back

mv AppleIntelHD* AppleIntelF* intel_back/

Reboot

You can replace "intel_back" with whatever folder name you like, this basically moves the kexts associated with internal graphics to that folder. This will mean that you might not be able to use your internal graphics, but hey, you have a graphics card for that. If you do wish to use your internal graphics simply take them out of the folder and re install them using kext wizard.

Another fix I did to get the mac app and itunes store up and running also:
http://osx-hackintosh.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/fixing-unknown-error-has-occurred.html

Credit to Carpentryplus25 and 500e and the others in finding a way for the Z97 boards can work pretty flawlessly now. Their thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...byte-z97x-gaming-7-g1-i7-4470k-gtx-760-a.html

Any questions please do not be afraid to ask, I'll help out wherever I can :)

Nice work Labrat and others! I guess I will order my UD5H very soon now. I am curious if your guide works for the other UD5H owners too. I am keeping an eye on this thread ;)
If I understand correctly, audio will work if you only run VoodooHDA right? Thanks a bunch for your guide!

Nice work Labrat and others! I guess I will order my UD5H very soon now. I am curious if your guide works for the other UD5H owners too. I am keeping an eye on this thread ;)
If I understand correctly, audio will work if you only run VoodooHDA right? Thanks a bunch for your guide!

No problem, Mulder. When you get your UD5H give me a shout if you need any assistance. That is correct about the audio. I have tried the ALC1150 and it just seems to stop it from booting properly, voodooHDA however seems to work fine. I just chose "green - line out back" in the sound options and it worked. Front audio port works also.

No problem, Mulder. When you get your UD5H give me a shout if you need any assistance. That is correct about the audio. I have tried the ALC1150 and it just seems to stop it from booting properly, voodooHDA however seems to work fine. I just chose "green - line out back" in the sound options and it worked. Front audio port works also.

That is a quick reply! Thanks again! I will probably order the black edition version of the motherboard. It will take some time before I have my build running, since I am waiting on the Intel 4690k.

By the way, which brand, timings, voltage and frequency of ram are you guys using with this motherboard? The best buy guide recommends Crucial memory, but that is of course for the Z87 motherboards. I am looking for 16GB of memory. Does the brand matter, or will everything work with a Hackintosh as long as it is mentioned in the memory support list of the motherboard?

Labrat01, Thank for all the info. This is very helpful, however I'm still having problems. I think I need to re-install again.

When I try to boot off the USB install drive (10.9.3) I get stuck at the "DRM . . etc." message. When I try to to boot with -v -x I get kernel panics. Same goes when I try to boot off the HDD installed OS X.

Can you please specify the complete BIOS settings you're using? I'd appreciate it very much. And then also what settings you used with Multibeast after install?

BTW, I'm using F5 version of BIOS with the Z97X-UD5H.

Also, I don't have a graphics card ATM, so I need to use built-in HD 4600 graphics in the i5-4670K.

This build has been one big PITA!

Labrat01, Thank for all the info. This is very helpful, however I'm still having problems. I think I need to re-install again.

When I try to boot off the USB install drive (10.9.3) I get stuck at the "DRM . . etc." message. When I try to to boot with -v -x I get kernel panics. Same goes when I try to boot off the HDD installed OS X.

Can you please specify the complete BIOS settings you're using? I'd appreciate it very much. And then also what settings you used with Multibeast after install?

BTW, I'm using F5 version of BIOS with the Z97X-UD5H.

Also, I don't have a graphics card ATM, so I need to use built-in HD 4600 graphics in the i5-4670K.

This build has been one big PITA!

Don't give up now vlad! There are a lot of people supporting you :) I guess a re-install is the only thing you can do now. Please keep us updated on your build. I for one am really interested in the results.

OK, so thanks to everyone in this thread (mostly Labrat01) I was able to get 10.9.3 re-installed, without having to boot with -x. YAY!!!!!

Just 2 no-so-minor problems remain:

1 - An EXTREEEEEEEEEMELY SLOOOOOOOOW boot time, probably a minute.

2 - More importantly, I have no Quartz Exeleration, which is weird since my HD 4600 video is being recognized with over 1.5GB VRAM and even my HP monitor is recognized, but there is no option for translucent menu bar and of coarse all graphics are slow to re-draw. See:

I've even tried this, which seems like it should work, but didn't:

http://giuliomac.wordpress.com/2014/03/03/how-to-enable-intel-hd4600-natively-on-your-hackintosh/

Attachments

• No QE.tiff
    610.7 KB · Views: 217

• Reboot in -s
  • when you see root# type the following:
mount -uw /

cd /System/Library/Extensions

mkdir intel_back

mv AppleIntelHD* AppleIntelF* intel_back/

Reboot

You can replace "intel_back" with whatever folder name you like, this basically moves the kexts associated with internal graphics to that folder. This will mean that you might not be able to use your internal graphics, but hey, you have a graphics card for that. If you do wish to use your internal graphics simply take them out of the folder and re install them using kext wizard.

Another fix I did to get the mac app and itunes store up and running also:
http://osx-hackintosh.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/fixing-unknown-error-has-occurred.html

Credit to Carpentryplus25 and 500e and the others in finding a way for the Z97 boards can work pretty flawlessly now. Their thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...byte-z97x-gaming-7-g1-i7-4470k-gtx-760-a.html

Any questions please do not be afraid to ask, I'll help out wherever I can :)

View attachment 94971

Just letting you know that this can be done via terminal using a sudo command or by using the finder in S/L/E not really a need to boot into single user mode when you move these twoAppleIntelHD* AppleIntelF* it moves all the files with those endings so you could actually go in the finder cut all those kexts and paste them into a new folder you create and then run kext wizard to rebuild caches and repair permissions this is easier for those not to comfortable with terminal commands and who have a booting system for those who system won't boot though the single user method is the only way to do it though

Hi all, thanks for all the information here! I have wanted to use this motherboard for my new build and this thread has provided some valuable information I needed about compatibility! I'll be ordering my first few bits today and hopefully have it built before the end of the month.

I'll add an update to let you all know how I get on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back