Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hey @CaseySJ
I apologize; I thought I had pasted my stats and device in my previous post. I am using a Fenvi T919 - PCI Wifi Card Continuity Handoff BCM94360CD.
I have tried moving all 4 antennae, and somehow, nothing compared to an actual MacBook improved the speed test and RSSI to -81 from -82.
Any suggestions on something else that I could try?
Thanks!
I was experiencing similar problems in my home office where the computer is located under the desk surrounded by 3 other computers and some metal objects such as:
  • Relatively large diameter metal leg for one part of the desk
  • Metal slide-out keyboard drawers (two of them)
  • Metal housings of the other computers
  • Metal housing of two keyboards
Consequently I used a 3-prong external antenna with cables long enough to bypass all of the nearby metal objects. That fixed my RSSI and Noise problems.

Are there metal objects in the line of sight between Fenvi FV-T919 and WiFi router?

Antenna-WiFi.jpg

I wished I saw this post before, dang it :) I will try to fix my system, as it now hangs after entering the macOS login password. SecureBootModel was already disabled by default in my EFI, so I think I need to update the itlwm kext for macOS 14.4. Wil try that tomorrow.

in your previous post you said you have:
i7-9700K + AMD RX 580 which differs from your profile.....
I apologize; my actual setup is the one on my profile. I meant to say that build specs. :)

I was experiencing similar problems in my home office where the computer is located under the desk surrounded by 3 other computers and some metal objects such as:
  • Relatively large diameter metal leg for one part of the desk
  • Metal slide-out keyboard drawers (two of them)
  • Metal housings of the other computers
  • Metal housing of two keyboards
Consequently I used a 3-prong external antenna with cables long enough to bypass all of the nearby metal objects. That fixed my RSSI and Noise problems.

Are there metal objects in the line of sight between Fenvi FV-T919 and WiFi router?

View attachment 579816
Thanks for the suggestion; there are walls other than some metal objects, including a door and a desk stand in the middle. The point is that the laptop is in the same position, and nothing happens to it. Also, in my previous place, instead, the Hackintosh was next to the WIFI router, so I am not sure this can be the solution. I am concerned it is a software issue; can we check something else?

And what do you think about this:
And this FIX:

I am still on Catalina on this build but I will soon move on BigSur to have both my laptop and this on the same OS.

Last edited:
... The point is that the laptop is in the same position, and nothing happens to it. ...
Let's try this experiment:
  • Place the laptop immediately next to the 4 Fenvi antennas for 30 seconds or so and then:
    • Hold Option key while clicking the WiFi icon in menu bar (on the laptop)
    • Post screenshot showing RSSI, Noise, and TX Rate
  • Now move laptop to the desktop itself and let it stay there for about 30 seconds or so and then:
    • Hold Option key while clicking the WiFi icon in menu bar (on the laptop)
    • Post screenshot showing RSSI, Noise, and TX Rate

I wished I saw this post before, dang it :) I will try to fix my system, as it now hangs after entering the macOS login password. SecureBootModel was already disabled by default in my EFI, so I think I need to update the itlwm kext for macOS 14.4. Wil try that tomorrow.

Fixed it by updating itlwm and OC, where as the problem was at itlwm for sure. It runs fine again.

Hello.
I really need to upgrade my OS for this fantastic build.
It still works perfectly, but..
It seems Native Instruments, which I use quite a lot, will not support OS 10.15.7. any more.
I´ve asked this thread once before, but I got no answer. I have searched a lot, but I cant find a guide for this.

So I will try one more time. Is there a guide for upgarding this build to current OS? Or do I need to do a clean install with newer OS?

All help is very much appreciated!

Many thanks, have a terrific day!

You need a version of OpenCore which supports the OS version you want to install. So update your EFI.
What's your current version?

Once this is done you should be able to update from within macOS. But coming from Catalina, it may be safer to update in steps rather than jumping straight into Ventura or Sonoma.
A fresh install on a new drive has the benefit of keeping your current drive untouched, in case anything goes wrong. Then install your apps anew, to keep it "clean", or use the Migration Assistant, at risk of importing some old and useless cruft.

You need a version of OpenCore which supports the OS version you want to install. So update your EFI.
What's your current version?

Once this is done you should be able to update from within macOS. But coming from Catalina, it may be safer to update in steps rather than jumping straight into Ventura or Sonoma.
A fresh install on a new drive has the benefit of keeping your current drive untouched, in case anything goes wrong. Then install your apps anew, to keep it "clean", or use the Migration Assistant, at risk of importing some old and useless cruft.
Many thanks for your reply etorix. I am not sure if I even used OpenCore for this install. I think I used Clover and Multibeast. Its 5 years since I built this rig, so I dont remember quite what I used. Can I update my EFI in any way if I didnt use OC to begin with?

If I wanted to create a fresh new install is it possible to just follow the guide here?

Or are there any issues with HW/ new OS I should be aware of?

Hope you can answer these questions. Many thanks!

Back