Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Migration Assistant is needed in order to transfer applications and data from the old Big Sur system. You can also do this manually:
  1. Reinstall all of your applications -- you'll need the installer files (some apps can also be dragged-and-dropped from old Applications folder to new Applications folder)
  2. Copy all of your files from your user directory on old system; this can be done using Finder drag-and-drop
Migration Assistant does both of this for you, but it can also copy problematic files that could cause problems. My recommendation would be to perform steps (1) and (2) manually.

We can add boot argument agdpmod=pikera to support the 5700XT.

If the serial numbers are the same, then most likely you did not use the latest EFI folder I provided (which has temporarily serial numbers).

VERY IMPORTANT:
  • If you are using OpenCore Configurator to check serial numbers, do not mount both EFI partitions at the same time!! If you do this, OpenCore Configurator will not be able to distinguish between the two partitions.
  • Always mount only 1 EFI partition when using OpenCore Configurator
  • To copy EFI folder from one partition to another using Finder, we can mount both EFI partitions at the same time; this is the only time when both of them can be mounted

No need to delete Monterey -- this can be the new system
Hey @CaseySJ I just got back home from my trip and about to migrate all these over. Few things:

- I made the mistake of having more than 1 EFI partition on so in the end it seems like I was using the original one you gave me. Can I manually go into the config.plist and put in my old System Serial Number, System UUID, MLB? Do i need to change System Product Name or ROM?

- Should I replace the config.plist on my current SSD with the one on the USB to make it boot by itself? I also found while I am operating off this USB, it wont reboot up when it goes to sleep. I’ve temporarily disabled going to sleep but there’s a kernel around this, correct?

- when I add the bootarg for the RX5700, should there be a space between the last code and the bootarg itself? For example: ’….igfxfw=2[space]agdpmod=pikera‘

- I just ordered a new NVMe- how do I migrate all the stuff onto there later on? Should I install the NVMe into my 2nd slot on the MB And basically do a reinstall onto the new drive?

Hey @CaseySJ I just got back home from my trip and about to migrate all these over.
Welcome back! Having flown 1.5 million miles on business trips, I can empathize!

Few things:

- I made the mistake of having more than 1 EFI partition on so in the end it seems like I was using the original one you gave me. Can I manually go into the config.plist and put in my old System Serial Number, System UUID, MLB? Do i need to change System Product Name or ROM?
We should copy all 5 of those values. System Product Name and ROM are both important, as are the first 3.

- Should I replace the config.plist on my current SSD with the one on the USB to make it boot by itself? I also found while I am operating off this USB, it wont reboot up when it goes to sleep. I’ve temporarily disabled going to sleep but there’s a kernel around this, correct?
If the system boots properly with the EFI that is on USB, then we can copy it to EFI partition of internal disk. We can address the sleep/wake issue later.

- when I add the bootarg for the RX5700, should there be a space between the last code and the bootarg itself? For example: ’….igfxfw=2[space]agdpmod=pikera‘
Yes there must be a space there.

- I just ordered a new NVMe- how do I migrate all the stuff onto there later on? Should I install the NVMe into my 2nd slot on the MB And basically do a reinstall onto the new drive?
We can install the new NVMe into the 2nd slot or into an external USB enclosure. Then we use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the original SSD onto the new SSD.

Refer to Step 11 here:

I've been running Sonoma on my hackintosh smoothly (apart from missing Airdrop) for a couple of weeks. Yesterday I've updated to the latest 14.2 version and since then I noticed a process called transparencyd running non stop.
It can be closed via Activity Monitor but I wonder if that's gonna cause any problems in the long run.
Anyone else have encountered this?

Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 14.16.48.png

I recommend that you password lock your BIOS setup so that Windows can't change anything. BIOS<Security option<Setup. Use a separate SSD for Windows, for sure.
Copy that! It seems I spoke too soon. For some reason, if I load Windows 11 (second nvme drive) from OpenCore it corrupts something in Windows and causes problems.

** UPDATE **

EFIClone.sh in my GitHub repository is now compatible with SuperDuper! 3.8. Please read the entire post below before using.

This script is used by both Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper! to automatically clone source EFI partition to destination EFI partition. Its use is optional.

Last edited:
** UPDATE **

EFIClone.sh in my GitHub repository is now compatible with SuperDuper! 2.8. Please read the entire post below before using.

This script is used by both Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper! to automatically clone source EFI partition to destination EFI partition. Its use is optional.

It was broken with SuperDuper @CaseySJ ? Still using the old one with CCC and it works so I guess, no need to update? Thanks, Patrice

***Edit: I should had read the post before asking… :)

Welcome back! Having flown 1.5 million miles on business trips, I can empathize!

We should copy all 5 of those values. System Product Name and ROM are both important, as are the first 3.

If the system boots properly with the EFI that is on USB, then we can copy it to EFI partition of internal disk. We can address the sleep/wake issue later.

Yes there must be a space there.

We can install the new NVMe into the 2nd slot or into an external USB enclosure. Then we use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the original SSD onto the new SSD.

Refer to Step 11 here:

Wow, 1.5mil miles? absolutely bonkers!

Thank you clarifying!

Once I copy the EFI partition over along With all the other data from the original partition, I’m guessing I should get rid of the BigSur compartment before I carbon copy over to the new NVMe?

Also I found none of my apps show up when I peek into the BigSur partition. Is that normal?

Hello @SuDoDmz,

You are right that there's been no further development of custom BIOSes that inject PEI/DXE drivers from real Macs. @Elias64Fr created a custom BIOS using Apple's Thunderbolt PEI/DXE drivers, which automatically inject all necessary Thunderbolt device properties, including DROM.

Regarding AppleVTD, having more than 16GB RAM is not really harmful for AppleVTD because we have solutions:
  • First solution is to remove Reserved Memory Regions from DMAR table
  • Second solution -- for Ventura and newer -- is to enable the new kernel quirk DisableIoMapperMapping
Hi @CaseySJ , I've been reading your guide for some time, just yesterday I got my hands on a Z390 Designare with Big Sur and Opencore 0.9.7
They have installed the latest F9 BIOS and Thunderbolt seems to have some problems. What I ask you is:

1. The Thunderbolt OWC Enclosure NVMe is detected for 3 minutes and then disconnects...advice? I think it's a bios problem
2. Do you think I can downgrade the BIOS even if the official website says it's not possible, after installing version 9?
3. To downgrade do I have to flash via EFIFLASH?
4. Can you link me to the latest modded and working bios for this card? If I understand correctly this also enabled something on the Thunderbolt port, right?
5. Will using the modified firmware maintain compatibility and functionality under Windows? So will Thunderbolt continue to work under Windows?

Let me know and thanx for yout hard work!

Once I copy the EFI partition over along With all the other data from the original partition, I’m guessing I should get rid of the BigSur compartment before I carbon copy over to the new NVMe?
No, not quite. There are 2 separate options, but your sentence above suggests that the 2 options are being mixed together. Here are the 2 separate option. We should choose one or the other, not both.

Option 1:
  • Does not use Migration Assistant
  • Does not use Carbon Copy Cloner
  • In this option we do a fresh install of Big Sur on the new disk
  • Then we use Finder to copy our "user" directory to the new disk as shown here:
Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 5.15.53 AM.png

• Then we manually reinstall all of our third-party applications and enter their license codes (if needed) to activate them
  • This option will not work if user directory on original Big Sur disk is corrupted

Option 2:
  • This uses Migration Assistant
  • Does not use Carbon Copy Cloner
  • In this option we also do a fresh install of Big Sur on the new disk
  • Then we use Migration Assistant to copy both Applications and User Data to the new disk
  • This option will not work if Applications folder on original disk is corrupted

Also I found none of my apps show up when I peek into the BigSur partition. Is that normal?
Please post screenshot

Back