Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Do not select “EFI” from the boot menu.

Instead, select “BigSur_Hackintosh” or “Install macOS Big Sur” and see what happens. Always enable verbose mode while we troubleshoot this.
I am yielding same results.
The ”BigSur_Hackintosh“ will run a script and then freeze.
the “install MacOS Big Sur” will give show me that disk utility-like page but also freeze immediately.

and I am running in verbose mode (2nd pic) every time by pressing ‘space’ before going into the options.

Attachments

• IMG_9777.jpeg
    IMG_9777.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9778.jpeg
    IMG_9778.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
I am yielding same results.
The ”BigSur_Hackintosh“ will run a script and then freeze.
the “install MacOS Big Sur” will give show me that disk utility-like page but also freeze immediately.
Interesting...
  • Because Big Sur installer starts up and then freezes, the problem now is something other than the EFI folder
  • We have typically observed these freezes in the following situations:
    • New version of BIOS -- we recommend F9g or F9i -- you may also try F9 from the Gigabyte website
      • All BIOS parameters must be configured correctly according to Post 1
    • Certain devices in the system. What devices are installed...
      • In USB ports?
      • In Thunderbolt ports?
      • In PCIe slots (other than GPU and WiFi/BT card)?
      • In internal USB 2.0 header?
    • Do you have any Corsair devices in the system?
      • If so, which ones?
  • Are all power cables securely connected?
    • Press all of them down to make sure

and I am running in verbose mode (2nd pic) every time by pressing ‘space’ before going into the options.
To enable verbose logs we press and release CMD-V.

Last edited:
Hi @CaseySJ,

I installed a Z390 Designare, with the latest BIOS version (F9), creating a new EFI, with Opencore 0.9.6 and everything is working, with the exception of the rear USB-C 3.0 ports. The USB-C 2.0 function is OK and properly mapped with USBMap (corpnewt).

Is there anything special to be done to detect USB-C in 3.0 function?

I read the first page of the topic, I noticed that you even mention that it doesn't need to be mapped because it's another controller and doesn't stay within the limit of 15 ports (that's OK), but I didn't understand why it doesn't detect the USB-C 3.0 ports.

I think I'm doing something wrong, can you give me a tip?

Thanks ;)

Hi @CaseySJ,

I installed a Z390 Designare, with the latest BIOS version (F9), creating a new EFI, with Opencore 0.9.6 and everything is working, with the exception of the rear USB-C 3.0 ports. The USB-C 2.0 function is OK and properly mapped with USBMap (corpnewt).

Is there anything special to be done to detect USB-C in 3.0 function?

I read the first page of the topic, I noticed that you even mention that it doesn't need to be mapped because it's another controller and doesn't stay within the limit of 15 ports (that's OK), but I didn't understand why it doesn't detect the USB-C 3.0 ports.

I think I'm doing something wrong, can you give me a tip?

Thanks ;)
Hello @luchina,

Unfortunately the rear USB Type C (Thunderbolt) connectors are not accepting USB 3.x devices for some reason. They will accept Thunderbolt devices including Thunderbolt docks that contain both USB 3.x Type A and Type C ports.

Hello @luchina,

Unfortunately the rear USB Type C (Thunderbolt) connectors are not accepting USB 3.x devices for some reason. They will accept Thunderbolt devices including Thunderbolt docks that contain both USB 3.x Type A and Type C ports.
Hey @CaseySJ

I went through it thinking I might have forgotten something LOL.

Thanks for the feedback!

Ah @CaseySJ

Does this USB-C 3.0 Rear malfunction also happen in older BIOS versions? Or with older versions of Opencore? Or earlier versions of macOS? In Big Sur it was working, but it was another EFI (it was deleted), and I updated the BIOS too (it was a very old version before).

** How to 'Fix' USB 3.x Device Connection on Thunderbolt Ports **

In recent versions of macOS we're unable to connect USB 3.x devices to the two Thunderbolt (Type C) ports on the rear IO panel. This post describes a 'fix', but see Important Note at the end.

Ah @CaseySJ

Does this USB-C 3.0 Rear malfunction also happen in older BIOS versions? Or with older versions of Opencore? Or earlier versions of macOS? In Big Sur it was working, but it was another EFI (it was deleted), and I updated the BIOS too (it was a very old version before).
Your post reminded me to try an experiment involving a recently modified version of GenericUSBXHCI.kext. After installing the kext and rebooting, I am actually able to connect both a USB 3.x flash drive and a USB 3.x to 2.5GbE Ethernet adapter:
Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 12.40.47 PM.png

This kext was originally developed for AMD Ryzen Hackintoshes, but it seems to fix this particular problem on our Designare Z390 systems.

Anyway, please give it a try. It may be downloaded from the link below after clicking on Assets:

Copy the kext to EFI/OC/Kexts folder in your EFI partition and make this change to config.plist:
Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 12.45.20 PM.png

To be extra safe, copy your EFI folder to EFI partition of a USB flash drive and make the changes there. Then boot from the USB flash drive by pressing F12 at Gigabyte Splash Screen to open the BIOS Boot Menu. Select the USB flash disk from that menu.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
  • On each reboot we have to (a) connect a USB 3.x device to one of the two Thunderbolt ports, (b) disconnect the device, then (c) connect it again
  • This seems to enable the USB 3.x connection and USB hot plug capability
  • From this point on, we can connect and disconnect USB 3.x devices to either of the Thunderbolt ports
UPDATE:

The older version of GenericUSBXHCI.kext also "technically" works (located here) the same way, but exhibits various issues such as other USB devices disconnecting automatically when we eject another USB device. It's better to avoid this version.

Last edited:
** How to 'Fix' USB 3.x Device Connection on Thunderbolt Ports **

In recent versions of macOS we're unable to connect USB 3.x device to the two Thunderbolt (Type C) ports on the rear IO panel. This post describes a 'fix', but see Important Note at the end.

Your post reminded me to try an experiment involving a recently modified version of GenericUSBXHCI.kext. After installing the kext and rebooting, I am actually able to connect both a USB 3.x flash drive and a USB 3.x to 2.5GbE Ethernet adapter:
View attachment 574844
This kext was originally developed for AMD Ryzen Hackintoshes, but it seems to fix this particular problem on our Designare Z390 systems.

Anyway, please give it a try. It may be downloaded from the link below after clicking on Assets:

Copy the kext to EFI/OC/Kexts folder in your EFI partition and make this change to config.plist:
View attachment 574845
To be extra safe, copy your EFI folder to EFI partition of a USB flash drive and make the changes there. Then boot from the USB flash drive by pressing F12 at Gigabyte Splash Screen to open the BIOS Boot Menu. Select the USB flash disk from that menu.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
  • On each reboot we have to (a) connect a USB 3.x device to one of the two Thunderbolt port, (b) disconnect the device, then (c) connect it again
  • This seems to enable the USB 3.x connection and USB hot plug capability
  • From this point on, we can connect and disconnect USB 3.x devices to either of the Thunderbolt ports
Hey @CaseySJ Thank you so much!!! :D

Interesting...
  • Because Big Sur installer starts up and then freezes, the problem now is something other than the EFI folder
  • We have typically observed these freezes in the following situations:
    • New version of BIOS -- we recommend F9g or F9i -- you may also try F9 from the Gigabyte website
      • All BIOS parameters must be configured correctly according to Post 1
    • Certain devices in the system. What devices are installed...
      • In USB ports?
      • In Thunderbolt ports?
      • In PCIe slots (other than GPU and WiFi/BT card)?
      • In internal USB 2.0 header?
    • Do you have any Corsair devices in the system?
      • If so, which ones?
  • Are all power cables securely connected?
    • Press all of them down to make sure

To enable verbose logs we press and release CMD-V.
Dying SSD perhaps too (could be)?

Back