Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Tried it again.

no cigar. I’m getting this quick lines of error message here, got taken to the menu, which I select the first option then im stuck in the black void.
When you used OpenCore Configurator, did you change its settings to 0.9.6? Or is it set to 0.9.7 Development Version? Look at the title bar of the window. You’ll have to set it to 0.9.6 Release Version or just ignore the OCS Schema warnings.

Regarding the boot option, enable verbose mode and select either “BigSur_Hackintosh” or “Install macOS Big Sur”. Do either of them boot up?

Is your monitor connected to RX580?

When you used OpenCore Configurator, did you change its settings to 0.9.6? Or is it set to 0.9.7 Development Version? Look at the title bar of the window. You’ll have to set it to 0.9.6 Release Version or just ignore the OCS Schema warnings.

Regarding the boot option, enable verbose mode and select either “BigSur_Hackintosh” or “Install macOS Big Sur”. Do either of them boot up?

Is your monitor connected to RX580?

Yes the monitors on RX580

How do I enable verbose mode?

At the moment BigSur_Hackintosh gives me the progress bar then freezes and Install macOS Big Sur goes to the respective page but freezes while "examining" the drives

Simply press and release CMD-V at the OpenCore Boot Menu, then select a boot disk.

Please see bottom of this post for how to use OpenCore Boot Menu:

Yes the monitors on RX580

At the moment BigSur_Hackintosh gives me the progress bar then freezes and Install macOS Big Sur goes to the respective page but freezes while "examining" the drives
Please try the attached EFI folder, which I tested successfully on my own system.

Copy serial numbers into config.plist -> PlatformInfo -> DataHub before use.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    8.6 MB · Views: 16
Please try the attached EFI folder, which I tested successfully on my own system.

Copy serial numbers into config.plist -> PlatformInfo -> DataHub before use.

Ok so I went into verbose mode, found the Reset NVRAM, selected that. Rebooted.

I got the new EFI on the USB. Booted from it, got the boot menu again, selected EFI (first option from pic), got this error message (pic2), after awhile it takes me to the apple logo with the frozen progress bar.

Attachments

• IMG_9770.jpeg
    IMG_9770.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
  • FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    526.8 KB · Views: 17
Ok so I went into verbose mode, found the Reset NVRAM, selected that. Rebooted.

I got the new EFI on the USB. Booted from it, got the boot menu again, selected EFI (first option from pic), got this error message (pic2), after awhile it takes me to the apple logo with the frozen progress bar.
Do not select “EFI” from the boot menu.

Instead, select “BigSur_Hackintosh” or “Install macOS Big Sur” and see what happens. Always enable verbose mode while we troubleshoot this.

Hi CaseySJ,
Hi community,

I'm still on OSX 10.14.4 on my Hackie, and the machine runes really smooth. But a lot of new software (Ableton Live 12, Native Instruments....) requieres Big Sur or higher. I'm thinking of updating to Big Sur or Monterey. I created my Hackie around 2019, so i'm a bit rusty, and I recently updated my old MacBookPro8,2 with OpenCore to Big Sur, and it was so easy. So my question is what's the best way to update macOS? I used Clover for the install, but didn't updated it once. I recently created a copy of my main SSD with CCC. I searched the forum, and there are to many different ways to update. I'm a bit confused.

Thx for any help.

Hi CaseySJ,
Hi community,

I'm still on OSX 10.14.4 on my Hackie, and the machine runes really smooth. But a lot of new software (Ableton Live 12, Native Instruments....) requieres Big Sur or higher. I'm thinking of updating to Big Sur or Monterey. I created my Hackie around 2019, so i'm a bit rusty, and I recently updated my old MacBookPro8,2 with OpenCore to Big Sur, and it was so easy. So my question is what's the best way to update macOS? I used Clover for the install, but didn't updated it once. I recently created a copy of my main SSD with CCC. I searched the forum, and there are to many different ways to update. I'm a bit confused.

Thx for any help.
post 1 has all the info for updating

Hi CaseySJ,
Hi community,

Thx for any help.
Oh this can be tricky business! Because you're on Clover, I suggest the following procedure:
  1. Locate or purchase a suitable capacity NVMe SSD
  2. Locate or purchase a USB 3.0 enclosure for the NVMe SSD so it can be connected via USB 3.0
    • It's better not to install the new NVMe SSD into the motherboard at this time
  3. Boot into 10.14.4 and format the new SSD in Disk Utility:
    • Name: Anything you like
    • Format: APFS
    • Scheme: GUID Partition Map (this will create EFI partition automatically)
  4. Download and configure OpenCore 0.9.2 by following instructions in this post
    • This is good for Big Sur, Monterey, and Ventura but not for Sonoma
    • Copy serial numbers from your current system into config.plist -> PlatformInfo -> DataHub
      Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 12.20.41 PM.png
  5. Create a macOS install USB by following instructions in this post (STEP 1 and STEP 2 only), but choose your preferred version of macOS
    Screenshot 2023-11-23 at 6.07.48 PM.png
  6. Boot from the newly created USB install disk and install macOS onto the new NVMe SSD
  7. When installation is done and the Welcome wizard appears, one of the steps will be to migrate data from existing system to new system
  8. Use the migration step to transfer applications and data files to the new system from the old internal NVMe SSD
  9. This can take some time
  10. When migration is completed and the new version of macOS boots up, check if everything is okay
    • Some applications may need to be re-licensed!!
  11. Also reboot the system, press F12 at BIOS splash screen to open the BIOS boot menu (not OpenCore boot menu) and select the new NVMe SSD
  12. Make sure you see the OpenCore Boot Menu (not the Clover Boot Menu)
  13. Select the new macOS and check if it starts up correctly
We'll provide more steps once you reach this point. Take your time...

Back