Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi,
Just encountered new issue with display, I got a circle of black then followed with random pink lines and frozen screen. Need your advice to fix.
Background: I took the video card out and put into other system to test, once it’s done, I put it back and faced with a problem.
Currently using OC 0.9.1 Ventura.

Recommedation:
  • Boot the Testing clone as follows:
    • If the CCC procedure was followed completely, then both the Test and Backup clones will have their own EFI partitions, each with its own EFI folder
    • There will be 3 EFI folders:
      • Original EFI folder on NVMe SSD (Internal SSD)
      • Cloned EFI folder on Test Clone
      • Cloned EFI folder on Backup Clone
    • Because the 3 EFI folders are identical, just boot the system normally without pressing F12 at BIOS Splash Screen
    • OpenCore Boot Menu will appear
    • Select the Testing Clone
    • When macOS is up and running, mount the EFI partition of the Testing Clone
    • Run HackinDROM app and follow the instructions provided previously (link below) to update this EFI folder
  • Now reboot the computer
  • Press F12 at BIOS Splash Screen
  • Select the external Test Clone -- this will cause the new upgraded EFI folder to be used for boot
  • When OpenCore boot menu appears, look at the bottom right corner of the screen; do you see the new OpenCore version number?
  • Select the Testing Clone from OpenCore Boot Menu to ensure that macOS still boots up properly
  • If so, then copy EFI folder from Testing Clone to EFI partition of internal NVMe SSD (the original EFI folder on Internal NVMe SSD can be backed up or just renamed to something like EFI-OLD)
  • When macOS is up and running on the Testing Clone, perform an in-placeupgrade to Sonoma
    • System will reboot several times during Sonoma installation, which is why it's good to have the new EFI folder on the Internal NVMe SSD so you don't have to press F12 and select external disk on each reboot
Hi Casey

So 2 full bootable clones all up and running. One backup and one test.

Downloaded the latest Hackindrom - mounted the Big Sur Test EFI - clicked update - looks like it has updated to the OC 0.8.3. Is this correct as I can see OC 0.9.5 is out?

Screenshot 2023-11-04 at 08.17.00.png

Hi Casey

So 2 full bootable clones all up and running. One backup and one test.

Downloaded the latest Hackindrom - mounted the Big Sur Test EFI - clicked update - looks like it has updated to the OC 0.8.3. Is this correct as I can see OC 0.9.5 is out?
If you refer back to this reply, you’ll find a link at the bottom of that post. It holds the answer.

If you refer back to this reply, you’ll find a link at the bottom of that post. It holds the answer.
@CaseySJ - Sorry I missed that - Hackindrom did it's thing and OC now updated.

Completed the update on the test disk to Sonoma. All went well. It boots to the login screen. I can login but then 20 seconds later the machine just randomly reboots.

If I leave it at the login screen without logging in it does the same thing.

Any ideas on where I have gone wrong?

Hello @CaseySJ may I ask you about thunderbolt please. I have an MSI z690 Pro Wifi DDR4 and found a Gigabyte Titan Ridge 2.0 which is already flashed for a Mac Pro 5.1 - i bought it because i assumed it will work on my Hackingtosh plug and play with Ventura.

Will it work?
Do i need to re flash it or something? If so can you please point me to the latest instructions for Ventura?

Thanks very much for your help.
G

@CaseySJ - Sorry I missed that - Hackindrom did it's thing and OC now updated.

Completed the update on the test disk to Sonoma. All went well. It boots to the login screen. I can login but then 20 seconds later the machine just randomly reboots.

If I leave it at the login screen without logging in it does the same thing.

Any ideas on where I have gone wrong?
This is exactly why we strongly recommend backups! You did the right thing by making not one, but two copies.

If you are on BIOS F9g or F9i, then we can rule out BIOS and instead assert that one or more of the third party apps or drivers may be to blame.

I would undo the Sonoma installation by cloning your original disk back onto this copy. Then boot the copy, upgrade all third party apps and drivers, disable all login items and upgrade to Sonoma once more.

We can continue after that.

Hello @CaseySJ may I ask you about thunderbolt please. I have an MSI z690 Pro Wifi DDR4 and found a Gigabyte Titan Ridge 2.0 which is already flashed for a Mac Pro 5.1 - i bought it because i assumed it will work on my Hackingtosh plug and play with Ventura.

Will it work?
Do i need to re flash it or something? If so can you please point me to the latest instructions for Ventura?

Thanks very much for your help.
G
Everyone that flashes a Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge uses the firmware that @Elias64Fr modified. All we need is a Thunderbolt hot-plug SSDT adapted to work for the MSI Z690 Pro, and we're set.

So assuming we lost our internal Intel CNVW wifi card. What would be the best working intel based card pcie card with working bluetooth?

Hello, is "AMD Radeon RX 6950 XT" compatible with Ventura/Sonoma? I found a deal about it but first I would like to ask if it's difficult to make it work with my current build...

Use your Google-fu:

Back