Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ

I see your thread is still going strong. As I couldn't find any hint to it (but I assume it's still a no-go); there's been no further development in the BIOS PXe department, has it?

On another note I also assume, that more, than 16GB RAM, of any sort, is still harmful for Apple-VTD, or Wi-Fi/Ethernet connections, correct?

P.S. Good to see you're doing so great man :)
Hello @SuDoDmz,

You are right that there's been no further development of custom BIOSes that inject PEI/DXE drivers from real Macs. @Elias64Fr created a custom BIOS using Apple's Thunderbolt PEI/DXE drivers, which automatically inject all necessary Thunderbolt device properties, including DROM.

Regarding AppleVTD, having more than 16GB RAM is not really harmful for AppleVTD because we have solutions:
  • First solution is to remove Reserved Memory Regions from DMAR table
  • Second solution -- for Ventura and newer -- is to enable the new kernel quirk DisableIoMapperMapping

Hello @SuDoDmz,

You are right that there's been no further development of custom BIOSes that inject PEI/DXE drivers from real Macs. @Elias64Fr created a custom BIOS using Apple's Thunderbolt PEI/DXE drivers, which automatically inject all necessary Thunderbolt device properties, including DROM.

Regarding AppleVTD, having more than 16GB RAM is not really harmful for AppleVTD because we have solutions:
  • First solution is to remove Reserved Memory Regions from DMAR table
  • Second solution -- for Ventura and newer -- is to enable the new kernel quirk DisableIoMapperMapping

But those special BIOSes are probably experimental and not released to the public, right?

I was under the impression those steps were necessary to get to enable Apple-VTD at all, I had no idea, they were for maintaining Apple-VTD with humongous amounts of RAM.
You got some clarification to do in your How-Tos my man :D I looked at your compatibility chart and thought "welp, that's the end of that". Are there any other issues known/reported?
I had originally started off with 64GB of total memory, but sold 'em and switched to 16GB since then. You of all people will recall best; there were a lot of issues back in the time :D

EDIT: if I'm not to run in any issues, I intend on going all out to 128GB

Last edited:
But those special BIOSes are probably experimental and not released to the public, right?
Correct. There's no real benefit because our Thunderbolt hot-plug SSDT accomplishes the same thing without having to flash an unsanctioned custom BIOS.

I was under the impression those steps were necessary to get to enable Apple-VTD at all, I had no idea, they were for maintaining Apple-VTD with humongous amounts of RAM.
Now where would you get such an idea? :)

You got some clarification to do in your How-Tos my man :D I looked at your compatibility chart and thought "welp, that's the end of that". Are there any other issues known/reported?
I had originally started off with 64GB of total memory, but sold 'em and switched to 16GB since then. You of all people will recall best; there were a lot of issues back in the time :D

EDIT: if I'm not to run in any issues, I intend on going all out to 128GB
The EFI folder we provide in this thread enables AppleVTD in a manner that works with any amount of memory.

Now where would you get such an idea? :)
As I said; I was under the impression :D just an educated guess, based on the lack of information (or rather not wanting to read all 4k pages of your thread) :p
The EFI folder we provide in this thread enables AppleVTD in a manner that works with any amount of memory.
Nice going, so I only have to deal with the SSDT for direct memory access (never bothered with that, unfortunately) and I'm good to go. I did DMAR already, a while ago.

Apart from which, I can't use your EFI folder unconditionally, my setup's a little different :)

As I said; I was under the impression :D just an educated guess, based on the lack of information (or rather not wanting to read all 4k pages of your thread) :p

Nice going, so I only have to deal with the SSDT for direct memory access (never bothered with that, unfortunately) and I'm good to go. I did DMAR already, a while ago.

Apart from which, I can't use your EFI folder unconditionally, my setup's a little different :)
The complete procedure for enabling AppleVTD is provided here:

The complete procedure for enabling AppleVTD is provided here:
So DMAC ain't strictly necessary? (Though I'd still like to deal with it, for the sake of completion). Cause I dealt with the other steps already, in all their entirety :)

So DMAC ain't strictly necessary? (Though I'd still like to deal with it, for the sake of completion). Cause I dealt with the other steps already, in all their entirety :)
DMAC is optional, but DMAR is required. I typically keep DMAC.

DMAC is optional, but DMAR is required. I typically keep DMAC.
Good to know. As I said, imma deal with that first (and anyways), but thanks for the input my man (y) :)

Fenvi T919 works again with the latest OCLP patch in sonoma

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-27 at 4.43.00 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-27 at 4.43.00 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
For a few days now, everything will freeze when booting into Ventura or Sonoma (separate SSD's, but the same EFI). I just see the desktop for about 10 seconds, but after that, I can't move the cursor or anything else, completely frozen.

I'm using the latest beta of OC 0.9.4. (upgraded using OCAuxiliryTools).

I already tried to boot with and without the itwlm wifi driver, but that doesn't make any difference (I resetted NVRAM after every change).

Can you guys help me out how to troubleshoot?
I'm having trouble reinstating my Hackintosh. Hackintosh-less for over a week now :)

- I made a USB stick with Ventura 13.5. Installation is working till the first reboot (so after 20 minutes or so in the installation process).
- I reset the BIOS (removed the battery and shorted it).
- I have the bios properly configured according to the instructions in the 1st post.
- I'm using the 0.9.2 EFI from @CaseySJ and upgraded it with OCAux to 0.9.3. Also "my own" EFI is being used, but without success, so I think it's not the EFI. Using Firmware F9i, so CFG lock is manually disabled.

I'm getting stuck here at the moment:

IMG_5453.PNG

Back