Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I'm using Silver Apollo with TB2 card - Flashed TB (Designare 390) controller. Everything is working perfectly fine :)
Can you run a flashed-TB test for me? While your hackintosh is running, and with your Apollo powered on and with the "Host" indicator lit on the front panel of the Apollo; Turn the power off on the Apollo unit. Wait 5 seconds, flip the power back on. Does the "Host" indicator on the front panel of the Apollo re-light after several seconds? Or does it stay dark?

Sure! FWIW, Thunderbolt hotplug/powerswap works for my Apollo 8 Quad. I have not flashed my Thunderbolt. Watch out for the RX580 ACPI patches if you don't have an RX580 in slot 1!
I try your EFI, but i still wont get my Apollo Silver Face (With TB2 Option Card) to work. Thanks anyways

@CaseySJ @pabloscotty, I did it guys!!! I flashed my Z390 Designare on board TB Chip. Finally my Z390 Designare recognize my Apollo Silver Face (With TB2 Option Card). :headbang:

Thanks to everyone that helped me during this process of figuring out why my z390 Designare didn't want to recognize my Apollo Rack Silver Face.

@CaseySJ @pabloscotty i did it guys!!! I flashed my Z390 Designare on board TB Chip. Finally my Z390 Designare recognize my Apollo Silver Face (With TB2 Option Card). :headbang:

Thanks to everyone that helped me during this process of figuring out why my z390 Designare didn't want to recognize my Apollo Rack Silver Face.
Amazing!!

Congratulations and welcome to the Society of Mad Scientists!

gm,

my build is starting to run a bit sluggishly, most probably from lots of updates and also, accepting a system update by mistake and not doing it the right way.
I'm thinking of doing a clean re-install. What would be the best way to go about it?
Especially with all the new stuff that came about since I first did it, which was early when the designare came out.

gm,

my build is starting to run a bit sluggishly, most probably from lots of updates and also, accepting a system update by mistake and not doing it the right way.
I'm thinking of doing a clean re-install. What would be the best way to go about it?
Especially with all the new stuff that came about since I first did it, which was early when the designare came out.
Which EFI and OS? Reinstalling the OS via recovery worked for me today when I thought the 13.5 update borked my build.

Which EFI and OS? Reinstalling the OS via recovery worked for me today when I thought the 13.5 update borked my build.
I'm on Catalina and run OC 0.7.1

I'm on Catalina and run OC 0.7.1
Not sure then. Can you make a test OC 093 EFI USB stick via the HackinDROM app? I'm hesitant to offer advice since my last question [#38,005 ] was ignored.

My Z390 Designare was on BIOS F7 for a long time. Today, after replacing the Designare with the Z370 Ultra Gaming in my main machine, I took out the Designare and placed it in another case. I then upgraded the BIOS to F9, which contains the CFG unlock feature in the BIOS.

In the past I had been reluctant to upgrade the BIOS since the upgrade is irreversible (as stated by Gigabyte) and I have no idea if MacOS Sierra and High Sierra will still run after the BIOS upgrade. With the Z370 in the main machine and MacOS Sierra / High Sierra / Mojave / Catalina all confirmed to work correctly, I was finally free to perform the BIOS upgrade and see if Sierra and High Sierra will still work after the upgrade.

I am happy to report that MacOS Sierra and High Sierra still run from a Clover boot after the BIOS upgrade (and after setting the correct BIOS settings). With this confirmation, while I still have the Z370 as my main machine running the older MacOS versions, I plan on trying to install MacOS Monterey and/or Ventura on the Designare, using a WD Black SN750 500GB which I bought some time ago for this purpose (but has not gotten round to do it). I plan to test if I can multiboot Sierra / High Sierra and Monterey / Ventura on the Designare in the future, when I have the time.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ

I see your thread is still going strong. As I couldn't find any hint to it (but I assume it's still a no-go); there's been no further development in the BIOS PXe department, has it?

On another note I also assume, that more, than 16GB RAM, of any sort, is still harmful for Apple-VTD, or Wi-Fi/Ethernet connections, correct?

P.S. Good to see you're doing so great man :)

Back