Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Wow, that seems to have worked! Only thing that broke is the system no longer recognizes my Thunderbolt UA Apollo Twin, but I know that's a known issue with many builds so I'll poke around the forum (I've set the BIOS --> Thunderbolt --> Thunderbolt Boot Support --> Boot Once setting). Thanks for all your time and patience @CaseySJ and I'm sorry again about my being overly careful with going ahead with the install using an old version of OC. It still doesn't quite make sense to me how it booted successfully o_O
Glad to hear it!

If you are unable to find a solution for the Apollo, feel free to request assistance here.

Here's a suggestion:
  1. If you have at least 25GB free space on the internal NVMe SSD, try creating a new APFS Volume using Disk Utility
  2. Use GibMacOSto download the full macOS installer for any preferred version of macOS
    1. When download is done, double-click InstallAssistant.pkg
    2. This will create a file called Install macOS .... in the Applications folder
  3. Download the OpenCore 0.9.2 EFI folder for this build and copy serial numbers into PlatformInfo -> DataHub
  4. Copy this EFI folder to EFI partition of a USB flash disk
  5. Run the Install macOS ... app from Applications folder
  6. WARNING: Point the macOS installer to the new APFS Volume from Step 1 so it installs a fresh copy there
  7. WARNING: Each time the system restarts during install process, press F12 at Gigabyte splash screen several times to open the BIOSboot menu (not OpenCore boot menu)
    1. Then select the USB flash disk because it contains the latest OpenCore EFI
When installation is finished, boot the new fresh copy and see if it sleeps and wakes properly. Disable Wake for network access in System Preferences -> Energy Saver or Settings -> Energy Saver (Ventura).
Thank you CaseySJ for suggestion, this is a brand new installation, problem is not recent it was since Catalina :). As I mentioned I have windows on external drive and same happens when I shutdown from windows, that is booted without open core. Maybe it's faulty card. I tried disconecting bluetooth part from usb header, still same. Thanks again.

Update: I enabled onboard wifi & bt and used another efi from seven of eleven and removed Fenvi Card. Now everything work like a charm. Thank again everyone.

Last edited:
Glad to hear it!

If you are unable to find a solution for the Apollo, feel free to request assistance here.
After a few hours of searching threads, I decided to maybe just try reinstalling UA software, and that worked :)

Hi all. Your help would be much appreciated!

I had a good working Big Sur install on my Designare Z390, and had been keeping up to date with new versions of open core and Big Sur updates. I upgraded to OC 0.9.2 and then tried the Ventura upgrade in place. Unfortunately I started getting random rebooting just before or after login screen or just after login. I opted for a fresh install. But I'm not sure how to make a new fresh EFI. I tried using HackinDROM 2.1.8. to generate a new EFI. I put in my z390, oc 0.8.3 is the highest, igpu, wifi Broadcom, although I just took out my fence card in case it was the problem with Ventura. I put in a config plist backup to get in my serials. I generated the EFI folder. it does boot, and mostly installs okay but then starts crashing when I try to go through the Ventura set up sequence. at different points. right after you choose your region, or while picking networking. Which EFI should I use for a fresh Ventura install on this z390?

edit:
just used HackinDROM right click to update the USB EFI, and OCAuxTools to check it. trying it now.

edit:
still crashing :crazy: I don't know where to start!

Screenshot 2023-06-15 at 11.59.56 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-06-15 at 12.18.43 PM.png

Last edited:
@balaclava9,

We can simply download the OpenCore 0.9.2 EFI for this build from the spoiler that the top of Post 1 labeled Quick Reference to Mini-Guides and Micro-Guides, then update the serial numbers in PlatformInfo -> DataHub:

Screenshot 2023-06-15 at 9.52.16 AM.png

Have you installed a fresh copy of Ventura? Is the fresh copy crashing/rebooting?

One last tiny but annoying issue I'm having: after reloading default BIOS settings to troubleshoot, the Opencore bootup picker now defaults to the EFI partition instead of the main hard drive, causing improper boot up unless I'm there to move the picker over to the hard drive. What are the correct BIOS boot order options to fix this? I've tried having my #1 set to each option -- Opencore, UEFI, and "Disabled" -- but none of them will default to the main hard drive for some reason. It always wants to boot the EFI partition. Thanks

One last tiny but annoying issue I'm having: after reloading default BIOS settings to troubleshoot, the Opencore bootup picker now defaults to the EFI partition instead of the main hard drive, causing improper boot up unless I'm there to move the picker over to the hard drive. What are the correct BIOS boot order options to fix this? I've tried having my #1 set to each option -- Opencore, UEFI, and "Disabled" -- but none of them will default to the main hard drive for some reason. It always wants to boot the EFI partition. Thanks
you can set it to default by pressing alt or cmd and enter on the mac drive

At the OpenCore boot picker, press and hold CTRL key when selecting the macOS boot disk. This is only necessary once. Now the macOS disk will be the default on each reboot unless NVRAM is reset.

Back