Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Yes, I'm using the original antenna connected to 2 golden coaxial connectors on the rear I/O panel. The trackpad is probably 3-4 feet away. When moving 5-6 feet away it's lagging really badly and then the cursor stops moving completely when the trackpad is 8+ feet away from the antenna, without any walls or any other dense obstructions.

There's also an issue with sleep. The machine wakes up randomly and doesn't go back to sleep. The fans spin and the LED lights are on, but the monitor stays dark. I tried reconnecting the monitor, but it just says "No video input". The only way to "wake up" seems to be to do a hard shut down. This is most likely a completely separate issue than the bluetooth one, however, I would really appreciate any help with solving both of them.
Just wondering if this happened to anyone in this thread? Various "sleep fixed" didn't work for me unfortunately, and I couldn't find any reports of similar Bluetooth issues, so I have no idea what "solutions" I can try.

Yeah I think it's hardware problem. I had an OWC thunderbolt enclosure with an m2 drive and was doing a long file copy and the computer shut down. The m2 is still fine but the enclosure hasn't worked since and smells like something burnt out. So I think it's damaged the the TB ports as well. Do you think that's possible? I know there's an NVMEfix kext but wasn't using it at that time.
It’s best to re-flash BIOS F9i (standard version). The Elias version needs special care.

19 Dec 2021:
Warning!
Thunderbolt 4 Docks will not connect to flashed Thunderbolt 3 controllers.

I can confirm that when updating my Vision D z490 with the flashed firmware my OWC TB4 Dock no longer connects.

I'm posting to let anyone know if you flash, and then re-flash your old ROM, you may loose hot-plug capability. My z490, pre-flash, was hot-plugging and sleeping fine.

Once I flashed back to saved original ROM, the TB4 dock worked again, but hot plugging didn't work any longer. USB hot plugging was fine, but Thunderbolt devices needed to be plugged in at boot and could not reconnect after sleep or unplugging.

I did find a solution. It involved installing windows 10.

Once installed my device properties in Windows had an exclamation point for a missing driver around one PCI entry
The Device ID and Vendor ID pointed right to the Thunderbolt Controller.
I tried the Gigabyte Z490 TB driver on their website. didn't change anything.
I used driver identifier to locate a dell driver for the controller (attached)

After install and reboot back into windows the device properties now recognised the Thunderbolt Controller correctly.

After booting back into Mac OS hotplug works.

I haven't tried it, but I'm curious if I try flashing the TB3 chip, boot into windows, install a correct driver (possibly TB4 compatible), and then reboot into Mac OS will the flashed chip work with TB4 docks?

Attachments

• Intel-Thunderbolt-Controller-Driver_TBTB7_WIN_1.41.1353.0_A16_01.EXE.zip
    36.9 MB · Views: 22
Just wondering if this happened to anyone in this thread? Various "sleep fixed" didn't work for me unfortunately, and I couldn't find any reports of similar Bluetooth issues, so I have no idea what "solutions" I can try.
Please have a look at the Sleep Aid linked below (it may be necessary to scroll down a little). Let us know how it goes...

Yeah I think it's hardware problem. I had an OWC thunderbolt enclosure with an m2 drive and was doing a long file copy and the computer shut down. The m2 is still fine but the enclosure hasn't worked since and smells like something burnt out. So I think it's damaged the the TB ports as well. Do you think that's possible? I know there's an NVMEfix kext but wasn't using it at that time.
Ouch -- sorry to hear that. What do you expect to do or try next?

Is it safe to update to 13.3.1?

Im on 13.3.3 at the moment

Ouch -- sorry to hear that. What do you expect to do or try next?
I'm going to get another z390 motherboard and give it another shot. Thanks for all your help and will no doubt have some questions again soon. Cheers.

Please have a look at the Sleep Aid linked below (it may be necessary to scroll down a little). Let us know how it goes...
I believe I have tried most of the steps from this aid, but unfortunately, that didn't help. I would like to try reinstalling everything from scratch (clean install). Just want to clarify something first: would it be "clean" enough to reinstall OpenCore and MacOS to try to avoid sleep/wake/bluetooth issues, or I need to go as far back as re-flashing the BIOS (is it theoretically possible the issue is somewhere as deep as BIOS)?

I believe I have tried most of the steps from this aid, but unfortunately, that didn't help. I would like to try reinstalling everything from scratch (clean install). Just want to clarify something first: would it be "clean" enough to reinstall OpenCore and MacOS to try to avoid sleep/wake/bluetooth issues, or I need to go as far back as re-flashing the BIOS (is it theoretically possible the issue is somewhere as deep as BIOS)?
Reinstalling macOS should be sufficient. If customizations were made to the OpenCore EFI folder then redoing the EFI would make sense also.

Back