Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Can confirm: (Intel)WiFi and lower Ethernet work with your opencore.efi + quirk on 13.3 and 13.4b with VT-d enabled, 32GB RAM.
Thank you - fantastic work, Casey! What are the chances of this patch breaking again in future versions?

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2023-04-05 um 10.10.09.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2023-04-05 um 10.10.09.png
    140.1 KB · Views: 35
Can confirm: (Intel)WiFi and lower Ethernet work with your opencore.efi + quirk on 13.3 and 13.4b with VT-d enabled, 32GB RAM.
Thank you - fantastic work, Casey! What are the chances of this patch breaking again in future versions?
If the patch breaks, we will patch the patch! In other words, we’ll just update the patch. This has been done before, such as for Aquantia Ethernet.

** UPDATED **
Experimental OpenCore.efi with DisableIoMapperMapping Kernel Quirk
Purpose:
The patch to fix WiFi and Ethernet issues in macOS 13.3 has been incorporated directly into a test version of OpenCore that is attached to this post. This means it's not necessary to add the patch manually to config.plist.

Instead, a new Kernel Quirk called DisableIoMapperMapping has been introduced that can be enabled and disabled as needed. When enabled, OpenCore itself will inject the patch into the right version of macOS.

We are working with Acidanthera to incorporate this quirk into OpenCore 0.9.2. The pull request and associated discussion are found here.

Version:
This version of OpenCore.efi is based on the just-released OpenCore 0.9.1 code base, so it includes everything that's in 0.9.1.

Procedure:
  1. Disable the Kernel -> Patch if the patch has already been added and enabled.
  2. Replace existing OpenCore.efi in EFI/OC folder with the version attached below.
  3. Add these two lines (manually for now) into config.plist using a text editor as shown. The lines must be added in the Kernel Quirks section.
NOTE: OpenCore Configurator does not support this quirk at this time. If you edit config.plist with OpenCore Configurator, this quirk will be deleted. It can always be added manually.
XML:
<key>DisableIoMapperMapping</key>
<true/>
Screenshot 2023-04-05 at 8.13.12 AM.png

Save config.plist and reboot. Do WiFi and Ethernet continue to work?

Attachments

• OpenCore.efi.zip
    270.6 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Good work, and good discussion in GitHub for those who want an expanded "patch theory" (or rather an updated theory, since vit9696 proposed an potentially more robust alternative).

** UPDATED **
Purpose:
The patch to fix WiFi and Ethernet issues in macOS 13.3 has been incorporated directly into a test version of OpenCore that is attached to this post. This means it's not necessary to add the patch manually to config.plist.

Instead, a new Kernel Quirk called DisableIoMapperMapping has been introduced that can be enabled and disabled as needed. When enabled, OpenCore itself will inject the patch into the right version of macOS.

We are working with Acidanthera to incorporate this quirk into OpenCore 0.9.2. The pull request and associated discussion are found here.

Version:
This version of OpenCore.efi is based on the just-released OpenCore 0.9.1 code base, so it includes everything that's in 0.9.1.

Procedure:
  2. Replace existing OpenCore.efi in EFI/OC folder with the version attached below.
  3. Add these two lines (manually for now) into config.plist using a text editor as shown. The lines must be added in the Kernel Quirks section.
NOTE: OpenCore Configurator does not support this quirk at this time. If you edit config.plist with OpenCore Configurator, this quirk will be deleted. It can always be added manually.
XML:
<true/>
View attachment 565464
Dear @CaseySJ are you going to post the same soon for Gigabyte Z490 Vision D?
thanks again !

Dear @CaseySJ are you going to post the same soon for Gigabyte Z490 Vision D?
thanks again !
It's already there... ;)

** UPDATED **
Purpose:

Version:

Procedure:
XML:
<true/>
View attachment 565464
WiFi and the i219 Ethernet work. i211 does not - causes re-boots.

WiFi and the i219 Ethernet work. i211 does not - causes re-boots.
The i211 is driven by the built-in DriverKit-AppleEthernet1000 dext (driver-kit extension). It works reliably in macOS 13.3 with and without the kernel patch. This is what it needs:
  • Remove all Device Properties associated with the i211
Screenshot 2023-04-06 at 1.41.22 PM.png

• Do not use the SmallTreeIntel driver
Screenshot 2023-04-06 at 1.42.47 PM.png

• Do not use boot argument e1000=0
  • Fully enable AppleVTD

- to disable everything ASPM related in the BIOS;
- Switch PCH to CPU for the x4 lane (is the M2 bottom slot sharing resources from PCIe x4 slot?);
- revert back to official F9i (I am on the latest Elias F9i BIOS);
- reinstall Mojave and Security patches on top;
- swap the drive from bottom slot to top slot;
- revert back to working Clover 5151 (I switched to OC in January or February).
Well, hard to tell what was the culprit but I won’t touch anything as it’s KP free (IONVMeController) since one week.

Also:

- removed XHCIUnsupported.kext and AHCI_Intel_Generic_SATA v0.5.

Back