Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I don't remember if they both worked in Moterey.
I do not see AppleVTD listed in the device tree. Im in process of checking that one out.

Switching ethernet cable to the other one crashes they system. Upon boot it comes up with "self assigned IP"

Bizzareness!
Certain virus checkers and firewalls can interfere. If the bizarreness continues, it may be a good idea to install fresh copy of Ventura temporarily on a spare SSD or a new APFS Volume on an existing SSD. That will remove the effects of any third party apps and drivers. If Ethernet ports still don’t work then we have a bigger fish to fry…

Certain virus checkers and firewalls can interfere. If the bizarreness continues, it may be a good idea to install fresh copy of Ventura temporarily on a spare SSD or a new APFS Volume on an existing SSD. That will remove the effects of any third party apps and drivers. If Ethernet ports still don’t work then we have a bigger fish to fry…
I’ll try a fresh install tomorrow then restore from Time Machine

Hello,

Thank you both very much for responding.

I have Protools lite but I don't use it, I use Reaper. I would have to check my other software first, most likely Monterey will be fine.

@CaseySJ
Do also think that this would be a more feasible option? If so I will check software compatibility and get me a new drive.

@madmax559
It's been while that I've installed Mojave, not with open core so I might come up with questions, I hope that you will be willing to help at some point when needed. Is there a guide somewhere on this forum more in detail how to switch over from clover to open core? You refer to SuperDuper, can I also use CarbonCopyCloner to do that?

Again, thank you both!

Yes, I would absolutely help as much as possible.

Here's the link to Casey's mini guide to switch from Clover to OC

Yes, CCC should work & you should always to a test boot from the clone to make sure you have a fallback option

1. Clone hdd & reboot & test

2. Back to primary hdd & download OC EFI & follow steps above & boot back into primary HDD under OC & use that for a day or so & make sure everything works BT/Handoff/Wifi etc etc

3. Download Monterey or Mojave & install in place & reboot & you are in business

Keep in mind I did the above when I was on Mojave & then upgraded to Monterey & you can search my posts 10 pages ago or so & you will see the exchanges between Casey & me & how I did the step by step upgrade & documented all issues & fixes

I'm fairly certain you will be able to get this done with minimal issues

I’ll try a fresh install tomorrow then restore from Time Machine
@CaseySJ Well, I cheezed out and bought a $16 USBC-Gigabit adapter compatible with Macbooks. It totally works. I did go into BIOS and enable VTD and now IORegstry explorer sees AppleVTD. Neither ethernet port seems to work now. In BIOS they showed up as not connected. Im up and running so I am good until the next HackBuild... (Or do I wait for hte new MacPro?)

@CaseySJ Well, I cheezed out and bought a $16 USBC-Gigabit adapter compatible with Macbooks. It totally works.
Yes nothing wrong with that. At least you won't be held hostage to Apple's never-ending musical chairs with device drivers...

I did go into BIOS and enable VTD and now IORegstry explorer sees AppleVTD. Neither ethernet port seems to work now. In BIOS they showed up as not connected. Im up and running so I am good until the next HackBuild... (Or do I wait for hte new MacPro?)
Regarding the new Mac Pro, it seems a new MacBook Pro may be releasing tomorrow with WiFi 6E and the M2 Pro/Max processor. There is at least one person here who switched to Mac Studio last year and switched back to Hackintosh this year! Yup, you read that right...

Regarding the new Mac Pro, it seems a new MacBook Pro may be releasing tomorrow with WiFi 6E and the M2 Pro/Max processor. There is at least one person here who switched to Mac Studio last year and switched back to Hackintosh this year! Yup, you read that right...
I have the MacBook Pro with M1 Max and 32Gig of RAM. I love it. With that said, I do all my video and Audio on the Z390 Designare. I really have it pimped out at this point. I put a 2TB WD M2 drive in when the Samsung started acting weird. But I reformatted that as my "Scratch" drive, and it is fast. I don't really need above 1gig networking as I don't have anything else that uses it (yet). I think Apple is in a bit in a corner in 2023 for the Mac Pro, as they really need to leapfrog their current one and don't have the apple silicon quite there yet. I would do a Z690 but it won't be an order of magnitude above what I have now. Prob 3-4X faster? Interested to see what happens in April. lol.

Anyone on Monterey & using iTerm2 ?
I get random freezes when the system is idle and I forced to kill the iTerm2 app and loose all my work

I am unable to click on any tab in iTerm2 or start a new session or even click on iTerm2 & check the version or quit

Edit:
Found an old issue on github & went to iTerm2->Prefs->General->Magic->GPU Rendering & toggled that off
I am using iTerm2 Build 3.4.19

The above bug is pretty old from 2021, so maybe it's resurfaced in 12.6.2, because I don't remember this issue in 12.6 when I upgraded from Mojave to Monterey

Last edited:
Is there a Big Sur to Ventura Upgrade guide for the Z390 Designaire? This thread is so big its hard to find anything without spending hours going through pages.

Is there a Big Sur to Ventura Upgrade guide for the Z390 Designaire? This thread is so big its hard to find anything without spending hours going through pages.
page 1 should help

We can do an in-place upgrade from Big Sur to Ventura.

First, however, make a full bootable backup of Big Sur because things can go wrong.

Then update to latest version of OpenCore, which can be done via HackinDROM app as described in Post 1 (see spoiler labeled ‘Quick Reference to Mini-Guides and Micro-Guides’ section 1, item ‘Update to latest OpenCore’ ).

An in-place upgrade starts from System Preferences -> Software Update.

Back