Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

It is still possible to get Intel i225-V and Aquantia 10GbE to work when AppleVTD is not enabled:
  • For i225-V:
    • Monterey -> just add boot argument e1000=0
    • Ventura -> we need to add the same boot argument and also inject AppleIntel210Ethernet.kext from Monterey into Ventura
  • For Aquantia 10GbE:
    • Monterey and Ventura -> we need to add kernel patches available from my GitHub repo:
If I understand correctly in this case I should then add an i225-V or Aquantia chipset based ethernet pcie card onto the gigabyte Z390 Designare motherboard.
I could still enable the wi-fi card using the AirportItlwm-Monterey.kext/AirportItlwm-Ventura.kext also to make macOS updates and access the Apple App Store?

If I understand correctly in this case I should then add an i225-V or Aquantia chipset based ethernet pcie card onto the gigabyte Z390 Designare motherboard.
I could still enable the wi-fi card using the AirportItlwm-Monterey.kext/AirportItlwm-Ventura.kext also to make macOS updates and access the Apple App Store?
Sorry -- I mixed up the Z390 Designare with Z490 Vision D.

On the Designare Z390 we can use at least one of the 1GbE ports without any problem (the i219-V driven by IntelMausiEthernet). The other 1GbE port (i211) may not work if AppleVTD is disabled.

We can also use on-board Intel WiFi/BT.

On the Designare Z390 we can use at least one of the 1GbE ports without any problem (the i219-V driven by IntelMausiEthernet). The other 1GbE port (i211) may not work if AppleVTD is disabled.

We can also use on-board Intel WiFi/BT.
A good news!
Thanks

Hello, I apologise for popping up in between discussions but maybe someone wants to help me. About 3 years ago I found this forum, bought the hardware (mainboard Z390) and successfully installed Mojave, did some tweeting like enabling nvram and because everything was working and I could make music again I was happy and left the system as it was. But now, more and more I can't install certain software because I need to have at least Catalina installed. I looked at the mini guides but some of the links are not working anymore. Is it feasible to install Catalina? I have the Apple install file already. Under Installation\Catalina Desktop Support\Catalina Desktop Guide I've found, at least it looks like that, a rather easy way to install Catalina but will that work? The mini guide looks different. And is it possible to install Catalina over an existing Mojave installations or do I always have to erase the disk and start from scratch? Thanks.

Hello, I apologise for popping up in between discussions but maybe someone wants to help me. About 3 years ago I found this forum, bought the hardware (mainboard Z390) and successfully installed Mojave, did some tweeting like enabling nvram and because everything was working and I could make music again I was happy and left the system as it was. But now, more and more I can't install certain software because I need to have at least Catalina installed. I looked at the mini guides but some of the links are not working anymore. Is it feasible to install Catalina? I have the Apple install file already. Under Installation\Catalina Desktop Support\Catalina Desktop Guide I've found, at least it looks like that, a rather easy way to install Catalina but will that work? The mini guide looks different. And is it possible to install Catalina over an existing Mojave installations or do I always have to erase the disk and start from scratch? Thanks.
Hello @HH007,

This is a very tricky and potentially problematic topic because nearly every recent attempt to upgrade Mojave to a newer version of macOS -- while switching to OpenCore -- has failed.

My suggestions at this point are:
  • Make a full bootable backup of Mojave because the upgrade procedure is very likely to run into problems (this also means backing up the EFI folder)
  • If you are using Clover, it probably means you have installed a number of Hackintosh kexts in the /Library/Extensions folder
  • Rather than delete those extensions and move them into the Clover folder, it may be a better idea to do this:
    • Create a fresh installation of Catalina on a different SSD (SSD prices are dirt cheap these days)
      • Try using OpenCore first, but I'm not sure if the OpenCore folder provided in this thread will work
        • You may try the OpenCore 0.6.3 folder provided in this thread (click here)
    • If OpenCore does not work, let us know...

Hello @HH007,

This is a very tricky and potentially problematic topic because nearly every recent attempt to upgrade Mojave to a newer version of macOS -- while switching to OpenCore -- has failed.

My suggestions at this point are:
  • Make a full bootable backup of Mojave because the upgrade procedure is very likely to run into problems (this also means backing up the EFI folder)
  • If you are using Clover, it probably means you have installed a number of Hackintosh kexts in the /Library/Extensions folder
  • Rather than delete those extensions and move them into the Clover folder, it may be a better idea to do this:
    • Create a fresh installation of Catalina on a different SSD (SSD prices are dirt cheap these days)
      • Try using OpenCore first, but I'm not sure if the OpenCore folder provided in this thread will work
        • You may try the OpenCore 0.6.3 folder provided in this thread (click here)
    • If OpenCore does not work, let us know...

@Casey
The above user could try to go from Mojave -> Monterey as I did earlier, with your help

1. Clone hdd & make sure its bootable
2. Switch from Clover to OC-0.8.3 on existing OS (clean up kexts) & boot & use for a few days
3. Upgrade in place from Mojave to Monterey, keeping the same version of OC-0.8.3

Unless, the above user has something specific like ProTools or something that works on only on Catalina, they may be able to use the above approach & upgrade

Note: Use SuperDuper to make a clone to external hdd & make sure that hdd also has an EFI partition to which you will manually copy over the current EFI/Clover, so you can recover from any disaster

Hello,

Thank you both very much for responding.

I have Protools lite but I don't use it, I use Reaper. I would have to check my other software first, most likely Monterey will be fine.

@CaseySJ
Do also think that this would be a more feasible option? If so I will check software compatibility and get me a new drive.

@madmax559
It's been while that I've installed Mojave, not with open core so I might come up with questions, I hope that you will be willing to help at some point when needed. Is there a guide somewhere on this forum more in detail how to switch over from clover to open core? You refer to SuperDuper, can I also use CarbonCopyCloner to do that?

Again, thank you both!

Hello,

Thank you both very much for responding.

I have Protools lite but I don't use it, I use Reaper. I would have to check my other software first, most likely Monterey will be fine.

@CaseySJ
Do also think that this would be a more feasible option? If so I will check software compatibility and get me a new drive.

@madmax559
It's been while that I've installed Mojave, not with open core so I might come up with questions, I hope that you will be willing to help at some point when needed. Is there a guide somewhere on this forum more in detail how to switch over from clover to open core? You refer to SuperDuper, can I also use CarbonCopyCloner to do that?

Again, thank you both!
Here is the guide to convert from Clover to OpenCore:

Always make a full bootable backup before doing this!! Carbon Copy Cloner is fine to use. We should backup the Clover EFI folder as well.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ I'm having an issue when playing audio both through my audio interface, and through the headphone port of the computer. After being off for a few weeks due to vacation, now it has started "skipping" like an old CD used to. Any fix for something like that?
Are you using a 5K monitor by any chance, or any monitor with a large horizontal resolution? If so, which app are you using to play audio?

Back