Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

** 5.1 Channel Surround Sound Experiment **

We typically use Layout 11 on the Gigabyte Z390 Designare, which provides the following audio inputs and outputs:
  • Inputs:
    • Rear Mic
    • Rear Line-In
    • Front Mic
  • Outputs:
    • Rear Line Out
    • Rear Center/Sub
    • Rear Surround
    • Front Headphone
    • Rear Optical Digital Output
Each of the analog outputs supports two channels, but these channels are not readily usable for 5.1 Surround Sound. To give us a 5.1 surround sound option, I've created Layout 40 in the attached experimental version of AppleALC.

By setting boot argument alcid=40, we will get these options:
  • Inputs:
    • Rear Mic
    • Rear Line-In
    • Front Mic
  • Outputs:
    • Internal Speakers
    • Rear Optical Digital Output
Yes there are only two outputs, but Internal Speakers is a very special output that aggregates three audio jacks into one:
  • Green jack = Front Left and Front Right
  • Black jack = Center and Sub
  • Orange jack = Surround Left and Surround Right
So Internal Speakers actually provides up to 6 channels: 5 normal and 1 sub-woofer, also known as 5.1 surround. But we need to use Audio MIDI Setup to switch from 2-channel to multi-channel mode.

Let's see how this works...

From the Applications -> Utilities menu we launch Audio MIDI Setup, which shows our Built-in Output as having 2 outs:
Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 7.15.15 AM.png

But click on the Format drop-down menu and we see something rather different -- 6 channel options:
Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 7.15.22 AM.png

If we select any of the 6-channel options, they appear back in the main window. And now the real fun begins when we click Configure Speakers... as shown:
Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 7.15.27 AM.png

When we click the Configuration drop-down menu (default is "Stereo")...
Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 7.15.54 AM.png

... we find these new options:
  • 2.0 Surround
  • 5.1 Surround
  • Quadrophonic
  • Hexagonal
Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 7.15.38 AM.png

If we click 5.1 Surround, for example, we'll then see:
Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 7.15.31 AM.png

I haven't actually tested the extra channels because I do not have enough of the appropriate cables. I also don't have a surround processor nearby.

But if anyone here can test this, please report your findings:
  • Do all the channels sound normal / correct?
  • Are some or all channels garbled?
  • Do rear Mic and front Mic work?
  • Does rear Line-In (blue) work?
  • Any other issues?

Attachments

• AppleALC.kext.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
Does OpenCore boot picker appear? Or do these errors prevent the boot loader from appearing?

Also do the following:
  • Mount EFI partition of USB flash disk
  • Open the EFI folder in EFI partition (in Finder)
  • Post screenshot
The boot picker does appear. I get the error after selecting to boot from my system drive. I upgraded to Catalina (which I was planning on doing after switching to OpenCore but went ahead and tried anyway) and Catalina is booting fine on the Clover EFI drive. If booting via OpenCore now instead of the error message I just get the Apple logo and loading bar stuck at basically 1%. System is configured as a MacMin8,1 if that helps at all too

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-04 at 11.35.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-04 at 11.35.56 AM.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-04 at 11.35.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-04 at 11.35.43 AM.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 16
This sounds exactly like the trouble I had trying to update my (#2. Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7, i7-8700K, RX-580 Pulse 8GB, iMP1,1, Mojave) from OpenCore 060 to anything beyond that.

The boot picker does appear. I get the error after selecting to boot from my system drive. I upgraded to Catalina (which I was planning on doing after switching to OpenCore but went ahead and tried anyway) and Catalina is booting fine on the Clover EFI drive. If booting via OpenCore now instead of the error message I just get the Apple logo and loading bar stuck at basically 1%. System is configured as a MacMin8,1 if that helps at all too
Some follow-ups:
  • Is CFG-Lock disabled in BIOS -> Boot?
  • At the OpenCore boot picker we can press and release CMD-V to enable verbose mode, then select our boot drive; let's try that and see where the boot process stops

Some follow-ups:
  • Is CFG-Lock disabled in BIOS -> Boot?
  • At the OpenCore boot picker we can press and release CMD-V to enable verbose mode, then select our boot drive; let's try that and see where the boot process stops
This is where I get hung up. (CFG-Lock is disabled)

Attachments

• IMG_5859.JPG
    IMG_5859.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 19
This is where I get hung up. (CFG-Lock is disabled)
Were you able to remove all Hackintosh kexts from the Mojave/Catalina “/Library/Extensions” folder?

Also, were Clover “rc” scripts removed?

Were you able to remove all Hackintosh kexts from the Mojave/Catalina “/Library/Extensions” folder?

Also, were Clover “rc” scripts removed?
Double checked the extensions and went through the terminal steps again. Still hanging but not at the exact same place every time

Attachments

• IMG_5859.JPG
    IMG_5859.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5860.JPG
    IMG_5860.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5861.JPG
    IMG_5861.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5862.JPG
    IMG_5862.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5863.JPG
    IMG_5863.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5864.JPG
    IMG_5864.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 18
Double checked the extensions and went through the terminal steps again. Still hanging but not at the exact same place every time
It would be a good idea to try this:
  1. Download full Catalina or Big Sur installer from GibMacOS
  2. Create a USB install disk using createinstallmedia command
  3. Copy existing OpenCore EFI folder to EFI partition of USB flash disk
  4. Attempt fresh installation of Catalina or Big Sur on a spare SSD or on a new APFS Volume on an existing SSD
I say this because 3 others before you have recently attempted a Clover-to-OpenCore transition without success. They each ended up doing a fresh installation and re-installing (and re-licensing) their applications, and manually copying all documents to the new OS.

Steps 1, 2 and 3 can be done by following STEP 1 and STEP 2 from this post:

These steps are for Monterey, but it's self-explanatory to use them for Catalina or Big Sur.

Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 2.07.17 PM.png

Step 4 requires using Disk Utility to create a new APFS Volume on an existing SSD:
Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 2.09.17 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 2.09.34 PM.png

In the first screenshot of Disk Utility above, we can see that I already have Monterey and Ventura on the same SSD, but under two different APFS volumes.

We don't have to create partitions! We can just add volumes, and each volume grows automatically as space is needed. APFS volumes are amazing...

Then boot the Catalina or Big Sur USB installer. When the installer starts, select the new APFS volume as the target disk.

It would be a good idea to try this:
  1. Download full Catalina or Big Sur installer from GibMacOS
  2. Create a USB install disk using createinstallmedia command
  3. Copy existing OpenCore EFI folder to EFI partition of USB flash disk
  4. Attempt fresh installation of Catalina or Big Sur on a spare SSD or on a new APFS Volume on an existing SSD
Just to clarify: We are copying the preconfigured OC EFI to the instal OSX USB flash drive correct? I tried several combinations of this, and trying to boot the flash drive with the OSX installer from both OpenCore and Clover hangs up. I can start the installation to another drive while I'm booted into catalina but when it prompts a restart I can't boot the OSX install thumb drive from either boot loader. At this point it may be the best path to just familiarize myself with installing an OC system from scratch. The preconfigured EFI folder from the guide doesn't seem to be playing nice with my system for some reason

Just to clarify: We are copying the preconfigured OC EFI to the instal OSX USB flash drive correct?
Technically, the OpenCore EFI folder can be installed in any EFI partition. We just need to boot the OpenCore EFI so that the OpenCore Boot Picker appears. So it's not strictly necessary to copy that folder to EFI partition of USB flash disk, but I typically do that because it allows me to easily move that USB disk to another system in order to fine-tune the EFI configuration.

I tried several combinations of this, and trying to boot the flash drive with the OSX installer from both OpenCore and Clover hangs up. I can start the installation to another drive while I'm booted into catalina but when it prompts a restart I can't boot the OSX install thumb drive from either boot loader. At this point it may be the best path to just familiarize myself with installing an OC system from scratch. The preconfigured EFI folder from the guide doesn't seem to be playing nice with my system for some reason
Feel free to compress and post the entire EFI folder here. Just remember to remove serial numbers from PlatformInfo -> DataHub before compressing and posting.

You're always welcome to create a brand new EFI configuration. The Dortania guide is the place to start.

Back