Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Great, thanks a lot! I'll follow the guide and hopefully, that'll work.

Yes, my idea was to upgrade directly to Ventura. Upgrading to Monterey is also possible, but not below. However, I'm open to any suggestion as to the best way to do it :)
If you're currently using Clover then the procedure for upgrading to Monterey or Ventura is as follows:
  • First we make a full backup of Mojave
  • Then we replace Clover with OpenCore by following the link in my previous reply
  • If OpenCore is properly installed and tested on Mojave, then we can attempt an in-place upgrade to Monterey or Ventura (OpenCore 0.8.7 recommended for Ventura, but OpenCore 0.8.3 and newer is okay for Monterey)
Because Mojave is quite old, a couple of people have run into difficulties with the in-place upgrade. So they performed a clean, fresh installation of Monterey or Ventura and migrated their documents and applications afterwards.

Hello @CaseySJ, I successfully flashed my TB chip with a Raspberry Pi 4b and a SOIC clip, thank you for all your hard work. It went smoothly on the first try, I was lucky I guess.

I was able to use my G-Tech RAID Thunderbolt external drive which wouldn't work before.

I also went and updated to OC 0.8.3. All went well with Monterey. All but the i211-V Ethernet port, it shows up ok on System Report but it won't get an IP from the router, stays on "self-assigned ip address" and then the system freezes.

Thank you for all your help!

Hello @ericyoshino,

Good job on flashing the controller, particularly on the first try!

For the i211 in Monterey, we should first check if the new SmallTreeIntel driver is being used. It’s located here:

Hello @ericyoshino,

Good job on flashing the controller, particularly on the first try!

For the i211 in Monterey, we should first check if the new SmallTreeIntel driver is being used. It’s located here:

Hi @CaseySJ, thank you for your reply. I'm using the SmallTreeIntel driver, double checked.

I tried activating Apple VTD but I'm not sure it's working properly, I wasn't able to find it in IOReg.

I'm using the EFI from your post here, just filled the info under PlatformInfo.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 10.33.36.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 10.33.36.png
    291.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 10.37.43.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 10.37.43.png
    142.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 10.33.12.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 10.33.12.png
    142 KB · Views: 18
Hi @CaseySJ, thank you for your reply. I'm using the SmallTreeIntel driver, double checked.

I tried activating Apple VTD but I'm not sure it's working properly, I wasn't able to find it in IOReg.

I'm using the EFI from your post here, just filled the info under PlatformInfo.
Regarding AppleVTD, please have a look here:

Let's try this (currently away from home so I'm relying on memory):
  • Enable AppleVTD
  • Uncheck the SmallTreeIntel8259X driver in Kernel section of config.plist
  • Then reboot and see if the native Monterey driver enables the i211 Ethernet port
  • If it does not, try adding e1000=0 boot argument, then reboot and check again

Hi! I'm almost done with the Clover to OpenCore switch but it seems there's a problem.
I did follow all the steps from the mini-guide, including:
Updated BIOS to F9i and disabled CFG-lock
Removed all the kexts and rc scripts
Downloaded OpenCore 0.8.3 EFI folder from your previous post
did all the steps (changed the .plists, did the USB with the EFI on it, etc.)

Now if I reboot from the USB stick I can access the OpenCore Canopy and it shows 2 EFI disks , 1 disk Mojave (the original boot disk) and 1 disk Mojave Clone (the one I'm working on right now). When I double-click on the MacOS Clone disk, it restarts my computer and sends me back to the Gigabyte Splash screen. If I try again to boot from the USB stick, it will freeze at loading OpenCore Canopy and I need to do a hard reboot.
I can still boot on both my Mojave and Mojave Clone using clover.

Any idea what should I do? As I say, I'm doing all of this on a new SATA SSD I bought to test. The original NVMe is still in place, and I haven't touched it at all.

@Mochimino,

Some comments and suggestions:
  • OpenCore will not be able to boot the original Mojave disk
  • OpenCore should be able to boot the new (or cloned) Mojave disk
  • Clover will not be able to boot the new Mojave disk
  • At the OpenCore boot picker we can press and release CMD-V to enable verbose logs; then select the new Mojave disk to see how far the boot process proceeds before restarting; it may be a good idea to capture a video with a smart phone
  • We can still boot the original disk with Clover, then check some things on the new Mojave disk:
    • We can use Finder to open the /Library/Extensions folder on the new Mojave disk and post a screenshot
    • We can use Finder to open the /System/Library/Extensions folder on the new Mojave disk and post a screenshot
You may also post your OpenCore config.plist, but remove serial numbers from PlatformInfo before posting.

Dear @CaseySJ
Thanks for your help. I've also been re-reading the guides to see if I made any mistakes but I can't find anything. Maybe my actual installation isn't 100% clean, so it gives me trouble?

Anyway, here's what I know so far:
- when loading OpenCore (using the USB stick on F12 boot) I can click on Mojave - CLONE; it will restart, send me to Gigabyte splash screen; then send me to Clover (see screenshot). With verbose logs enable, it was written: End SetConsoleMode and that's it.
If I try to click on any of the other disk icons, it freezes.
- on the Clover screen, I can still boot Mojave CLONE and Mojave (original, on the far right). I just test both again and it's working. On the CLONE one of course the kexts are gone so somethings (such as Ethernet) aren't working anymore.
- See screenshot from /Library/Extensions from the new CLONE drive.
- there's over 300 kext in /System/Library/Extensions on the new CLONE drive. Should i screenshot everything or rather look for something particular?
- see attached my new (based on yours) config.plist without serial number (I hope I did it correctly).
- also attached my "old" config.plist that can be found in the EFI of the CLONE disk, when I open it with Clover. (also without serial numbers)

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2022-12-27 à 17.26.28.png
    Capture d’écran 2022-12-27 à 17.26.28.png
    83.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20221227_172103.png
    20221227_172103.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 17
  • 20221227_172211.png
    20221227_172211.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 15
  • config.plist
    34.3 KB · Views: 16
  • configCLONE.plist
    8.5 KB · Views: 17
@Mochimino,

Please try changing SecureBootModel to Disabled instead of Default. Then see if Mojave clone will boot from OpenCore boot picker.

(No need to screenshot /System/Library/Extensions.)

Back