Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Yes, I think you're right. I was hoping to be able to switch from Clover to Opencore to spare me the hassle of re-installing everything (especially since it working so well at the moment) but a fresh install seems to be the best option.
Here's what I was thinking to do:
- install Monterey using OpenCore on my "clone" SSD.
- When everything is great and works fine, I will backup my files from my "original" NVMe on one of my other SSD
- Then I could use SuperDuper (or whatever else) to duplicate my working Monterey over my original NVMe.
- Finally, I transfer my files over to my new NVMe on Monterey

Does that make sense?
If yes, which guide could I look up for a fresh Monterey or Ventura installation using OpenCore?
Fortunately you’re in a good position to install Monterey from scratch because you have an OpenCore EFI folder.

Simply follow STEP 1 and STEP 2 from this guide to create USB install disk. Then copy your EFI folder to EFI partition of USB disk.

Now boot from the USB disk and select “Install macOS Monterey”.

Great, thanks again for your help.
Just to make sure: the EFI folder you mentioned is the one that was initially from you, that I modified with my serials, changed SecureBootModel and ResizeAppleGpuBars etc... correct?

And then, I need to mount the USB EFI where I installed Monterey and place my new EFI inside, right? It's on the same USB, not 2 different one.

@mark01975

The ThunderboltEX 3 is very difficult to flash. We often have to desolder the chip, flash it ex-situ, then solder it back. Only an experienced person or repair shop should attempt this.

Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge is very easy to flash.
Thanks for support

Great, thanks again for your help.
Just to make sure: the EFI folder you mentioned is the one that was initially from you, that I modified with my serials, changed SecureBootModel and ResizeAppleGpuBars etc... correct?
Correct — if you run into problems booting the Monterey installer, try SecureBootModel set to Default.

And then, I need to mount the USB EFI where I installed Monterey and place my new EFI inside, right? It's on the same USB, not 2 different one.
Correct — one USB flash disk.

Well, @CaseySJ, it seems I'm not lucky at the moment :'(
I just can't boot Monterey installer, it's not working.
Here's what i did so far:
- updated to F9i BIOS with CFG-Lock disabled
- using OpenCore 0.8.3 EFI (from your post). I re-downloaded and did everything again.
- using OpenCore Configurator version 2.62.0.0
- did the USB with name Monterey-USB, MacOS Extended (Journaled) and GUID Partition Map
- successfully installed Monterey installer using gibMacOS (see screenshot)

I've tried different config.plist to test things and to find where the problem is, no success.
The config.plist I've tried:
- "original" version, just like in your guide here
- original version modified, meaning with SecureBootModel disabled
- 3 rd version, with ResizeAppleGpuBars set to -1 and agdpmod=pikera boot argument removed

None of them worked (see videos if you want to check the debug), and now I'm running out of ideas tbh...

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2022-12-28 à 16.51.51.png
    Capture d’écran 2022-12-28 à 16.51.51.png
    387.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Mochimino.zip
    43.3 MB · Views: 17
Well @CaseySJ it seems i'm not lucky at the moment :'(
I just can't boot Monterey installer, it's not working.
Here's what i did so far:
- updated to F9i BIOS with CFG-Lock disabled
- using OpenCore 0.8.3 EFI (from your post). I re-downloaded and did everything again.
- using OpenCore Configurator version 2.62.0.0
- did the USB with name Monterey-USB, MacOS Extended (Journaled) and GUID Partition Map
- succesfully installed Monterey installer using gibMacOS (see screenshot)

I've tried different config.plist to test things and to find where the problem is, no success.
The config.plist i've tried:
- "original" version, just like in your guide here
- original version modified, meaning with SecureBootModel disabled
- 3 rd version, with ResizeAppleGpuBars set to -1 and agdpmod=pikera boot argument removed

none of them worked (see videos if you want to check the debug) and now i'm running out of ideas tbh...
I can take a look at your EFI folder. Simply remove serial numbers from PlatformInfo then compress and post the entire EFI folder. I'll also upgrade it to OpenCore 0.8.7.

I bought myself an iPhone. I just can't connect it to the usb-c port of my R6 Fractal Design case. The phone charges but macOS Ventura does not recognize it. Can anyone help me?

Also, I still use OpenCore 0.8.5. How can I update it to version 0.8.7, I've always used Hackindrom but the development is stopped at version 2.14 which supports OpenCore 0.8.5.

Thanks in advance to anyone who wants to help me.

Thanks @CaseySJ fot your help, see attached

I'm very curious to know why it's not working! Because it seems I'm missing something even though I re-did the whole thing to make sure I haven't done any mistakes.
Can something wrongly set in the BIOS be an issue?

Attachments

• EFI Folder.zip
    44.1 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Also, I still use OpenCore 0.8.5. How can I update it to version 0.8.7, I've always used Hackindrom but the development is stopped at version 2.14 which supports OpenCore 0.8.5.
I use OCAT to update my OC versions. See

I bought myself an iPhone. I just can't connect it to the usb-c port of my R6 Fractal Design case. The phone charges but macOS Ventura does not recognize it. Can anyone help me?
This is because the USB port map disables USB 2 devices on front USB-C port in order to maintain 15 port limit. You can still use ports on rear IO panel. If you search this thread for Fractal you may also find a modified USB SSDT that enables USB 2 on front panel, but disables some other USB 2 port.

Thanks in advance to anyone who wants to help me.
Please see the spoiler at top of post 1 called Quick Reference to Mini-Guides and Micro-Guides. At the bottom of Section 1 is a reference to procedure for updating OpenCore via HackinDROM. We no longer provider monthly updates because HackinDROM performs updates automatically.

Back