Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Apple really is taking their brilliant OS in a weird direction. I'm frankly not loving Monterey, even after about a week of use. Aesthetically it feels like a step backward (cheesy icon design, bloated UI elements) and the the nagging security features with no off switch have been a source of frustration. Mojave for me was a real golden release and I would have happily stayed parked there for a lot longer if I didn't have compatibility issues starting to pop up with new application releases.

Anyway, so far so good with the new config. Prior to updating the EFI I couldn't get the screen to turn of automatically. That's working fine now. Sleep seems alright. I don't use BT for much of anything so I can't comment on that. Network is wired so no comment on WiFi either.

@JingleDjango

For OC Picker to show the name you've given your SSD's you might try this which helped me. In Misc -> Boot change the Picker Attributes value to 155.

Picker Names.png

The resolution of the OC Picker can be controlled in several places. One is setting the UIScale value in NVRAM, and another one shown below in UEFI -> Output -> UIScale. Read the Tips window below for guidance. Frankly I find this confusing since the Resolution value set to "Max" may not give one what they want. You will need to play around with the UIScale value to get what you want.

OC Picker Resolution.png

CaseySJ has created a great index/cross reference of important information for this build in post #1 under "Spoilers." It helps locating a lot of helpful information in this massive thread. Click the Spoiler to open it.

Spoilers.png

It sounds like you are finally getting things working the way you need.

Hi @CaseySJ,

Is it right that you use a Fenvi T919? My Bluetooth is visible in About this Mac in 12.5.1. But I can't connect an iPhone. I just put in kext: BrcmBluetoothInjector, BrcmFirmwareData, BrcmPatchRAM3 and BlueToolFixup. When I check Bluetooth, it doesn't show me the BCM94360 Chipset as in Big Sur. It shows BCM_20702B0.
Anything else to do here?

@JingleDjango

For OC Picker to show the name you've given your SSD's you might try this which helped me. In Misc -> Boot change the Picker Attributes value to 155.

View attachment 554430

The resolution of the OC Picker can be controlled in several places. One is setting the UIScale value in NVRAM, and another one shown below in UEFI -> Output -> UIScale. Read the Tips window below for guidance. Frankly I find this confusing since the Resolution value set to "Max" may not give one what they want. You will need to play around with the UIScale value to get what you want.

View attachment 554431

CaseySJ has created a great index/cross reference of important information for this build in post #1 under "Spoilers." It helps locating a lot of helpful information in this massive thread. Click the Spoiler to open it.

View attachment 554432

It sounds like you are finally getting things working the way you need.
This was helpful, thanks. I may need to play with the UIScale/NVRAM to figure that part out but I've got meaningful boot entries in the picker now which is the important thing.

Hi @CaseySJ,

Is it right that you use a Fenvi T919? My Bluetooth is visible in About this Mac in 12.5.1. But I can't connect an iPhone. I just put in kext: BrcmBluetoothInjector, BrcmFirmwareData, BrcmPatchRAM3 and BlueToolFixup. When I check Bluetooth, it doesn't show me the BCM94360 Chipset as in Big Sur. It shows BCM_20702B0.
Anything else to do here?
Hello @SalatSauce

When you say you cannot connect an iPhone, how exactly are you trying to connect it?

iPhones use Continuity features of macOS to stay connected. For example, we can use AirDrop to transfer files. And we can unlock with iPhone or answer a phone call on the Mac.

In other words we don’t “connect” an iPhone to the Mac like we connect a Bluetooth mouse to the Mac. An iPhone connects automatically via Continuity features.

Hello @SalatSauce

When you say you cannot connect an iPhone, how exactly are you trying to connect it?

iPhones use Continuity features of macOS to stay connected. For example, we can use AirDrop to transfer files. And we can unlock with iPhone or answer a phone call on the Mac.

In other words we don’t “connect” an iPhone to the Mac like we connect a Bluetooth mouse to the Mac. An iPhone connects automatically via Continuity features.

Hi CaseySJ,
In Big Sur I connect the iPhone to the hackintosh via Bluetooth, and I get a connection. Means in iPhone Bluetooth it states connected to iMac, and on hackintosh it tells connected to iPhone. With that for an example I can pay with Apple Wallet on the hackintosh and authorize it with touch id on the iPhone. When you connect your iPad with the hackintosh over Bluetooth, you get audio lanes. Means audio over Bluetooth for instance when you make music with iPad and iMac.

Did I miss something or did I use the correct kext? If yes, the device is not anymore showed like bcm93460 as in Big Sur. So I doubt its function 100% like that.

Hi CaseySJ,
In Big Sur I connect the iPhone to the hackintosh via Bluetooth, and I get a connection. Means in iPhone Bluetooth it states connected to iMac, and on hackintosh it tells connected to iPhone. With that for an example I can pay with Apple Wallet on the hackintosh and authorize it with touch id on the iPhone. When you connect your iPad with the hackintosh over Bluetooth, you get audio lanes. Means audio over Bluetooth for instance when you make music with iPad and iMac.

Did I miss something or did I use the correct kext? If yes, the device is not anymore showed like bcm93460 as in Big Sur. So I doubt its function 100% like that.
If the Hackintosh and iPhone/iPad are connected to the same iCloud/AppleID, then Continuity features are all available.

• Universal Control
  • AirPlay to Mac from iPhone/iPad
  • Sidecar (requires supported Intel iGPU)
  • Continuity Markup and Sketch
  • SMS and Phone calls
  • Continuity Camera
  • Auto Unlock
  • Handoff
  • Universal Clipboard
  • AirDrop
  • Pay (yes, even Pay)
  • Instant Hotspot
We shouldn't need to connect iPhone to Mac directly over Bluetooth.

I’ll run some tests in the morning on the same version of macOS.
Hi @CaseySJ Just wondering if you had a chance to have a look at this? Just to confirm, liquidctl has not been working for me for several months now so Im not sure if it was one of the previous Monterey updates that did it or perhaps one of the OC updates

Hi @CaseySJ Just wondering if you had a chance to have a look at this? Just to confirm, liquidctl has not been working for me for several months now so Im not sure if it was one of the previous Monterey updates that did it or perhaps one of the OC updates
I tried installing liquidctl in Ventura, but XCode command line tools are not yet available to the public. I’ll boot into Monterey and check this today.

Back