Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

The Presonus is attached to Thunderbolt port 1, but there’s no sign of the LG UltraFine (DSB4 is empty). Are you able to attach the Presonus to the other Thunderbolt port?

Thunderbolt monitors have given us a lot of grief, unfortunately, which is why Note 7c exists at the top of Post 1.
Hello again @CaseySJ !

I switched the Thunderbolt ports, restarted, and took another screenshot from IORegistryExplorer. Maybe I am mistaken but I could have sworn the monitor was working on this port before...

Thank you for your continued help!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 9.58.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 9.58.34 AM.png
    903.5 KB · Views: 33
Hello again @CaseySJ !

I switched the thunderbolt ports, restarted, and took another screenshot from IORegistryExplorer. Maybe I am mistaken but I could have sworn the monitor was working on this port before...

Thank you for your continued help!
Interesting. So the Presonus does not connect to DSB4 (the other Thunderbolt port)? This is not a Presonus issue, of course, but a Hackintosh issue.

Please try a cold boot with Presonus already powered on and connected to the second port (DSB4). Cold boot means shutting down the system and flipping power switch on PSU to OFF for 10 seconds, then powering back up.

Then let’s see a screenshot of RP05 section again.

By the way, is AppleVTD enabled? If it is, it will appear near the top of the device tree in IORegistryExplorer.

Interesting. So the Presonus does not connect to DSB4 (the other Thunderbolt port)? This is not a Presonus issue, of course, but a Hackintosh issue.

Please try a cold boot with Presonus already powered on and connected to the second port (DSB4). Cold boot means shutting down the system and flipping power switch on PSU to OFF for 10 seconds, then powering back up.

Then let’s see a screenshot of RP05 section again.

By the way, is AppleVTD enabled? If it is, it will appear near the top of the device tree in IORegistryExplorer.
After a cold boot the symptoms remains the same. I have attached a new screenshot. Also AppleVTD does appear to be enabled. IORegistryExplorer says "Discovered" when I mouse over it.

Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 4.44.56 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-30 at 4.52.25 PM.png

After a cold boot the symptoms remains the same. I have attached a new screenshot. Also AppleVTD does appear to be enabled. IORegistryExplorer says "Discovered" when I mouse over it.

View attachment 545170View attachment 545171
Is the LG UltraFine your only monitor? Are you able to switch to a non-Thunderbolt monitor?

Unfortunately there’s not much more we can do about the issue you’re seeing. We just have to find appropriate workarounds or alternatives.

Is the LG UltraFine your only monitor? Are you able to switch to a non-Thunderbolt monitor?

Unfortunately there’s not much more we can do about the issue you’re seeing. We just have to find appropriate workarounds or alternatives.
I was able to get things back to normal by using your v8 aml as you suggested in another post (quoted below). I guess my devices were actually running USB over the thunderbolt ports.:crazy: Anyway, I am very happy to have my system back! Many thanks for all the help! :)

If you have a USB C to USB A cable, please try that. If the SSL 2+ is bus powered, then it may or may not work on a USB A port. But if it has its own power plug then it should work.

To enable USB 2 protocol on one of the Thunderbolt ports I can provide a modified USB SSDT (soon).

UPDATE:
  • To enable USB 2 devices on the Thunderbolt/USB-C port closest to HDMI port, please use the attached SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V8-HS08.aml as follows:
    • Copy the file to OC/ACPI folder
    • Add an entry in config.plist --> ACPI section
    • Disable the existing entry for SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml
View attachment 545110

This diagram shows which USB 2.0 port will be DISABLED (HS03) and which one will be ENABLED (HS08):

View attachment 545108

yea.. seems that i didnt need to use the @0,name patches for 6000 series with 12.3.1

Last edited:
Some suggestions:
  • Most important: Do not lose patience. Take a day or two off if needed. That allows us to replay the procedure in our mind (i.e. mentally double check all steps.
  • Double check all wiring and orientation of the clip. Ensure pin 1 is going to the little dot embossed on the chip.
  • Flip power switch on PSU to off position or pull PSU power cable from the wall. And connect all 8 pins from the 3.3V CH341a to the SOIC clip. Double check all pin connections.
  • Make sure the SOIC clip swallows the Winbond chip. Always attach and detach the clip gently and in a perpendicular direction to the chip. Moving the clip sideways near the motherboard can dislodge nearby components.
Also we should not use a USB hub unless it is a self-powered hub. The 3.3V programmer should be connected directly to the computer.
@CaseySJ Could this error indicate a bricked chip?

I managed to flash mine once, but after attempting a different forearm I now get the same error. Any way to tell for sure that it’s not a bad chip, and just a bad connection?

Back